Notices

Sugar reminder of the obvious

Old 04-22-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sugar reminder of the obvious

Sober for 2+ years. Have sort of replaced alcohol with sugar / deserts. I can handle the substitute because a) I'm not drinking and b) I run avidly, so I need the carbs/calories.

Anyway, for lent I go vegan, and for 55 days not 40. For those who don't know, vegan means no animal products including butter, eggs, milk, cream, etc. Long and short: no sweets and deserts!

The reminder: I went 55 days "sober" of deserts/sweets. While I craved every now and then, nothing impossible. Sunday came and passed, and I decided to break myself back in slowly - with a "tiny" serving of ice cream from the local shop. By the time I was done ordering, I ordered a large not tiny, I mixed in reeses pieces and cookie dough. Not good, but not horrible. But I didn't just have that, I went next door and got a bundt cake too.... in one sitting! I think I will get the gorging under control, but in what world do I think I can have just one drink? I couldn't do that with a desert, and somehow I think I can have just one beer or glass of wine. I was 55 days clean, and came roaring back instantly - and my palate didn't miss a morsel of sugar

Oh well, maybe some Doritos before I try to rein myself back in?
Old 04-22-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think you'll be fine, so long as you stay sober. The eating cravings can be managed and won't wreck your life like alcohol can.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm thinking it is better to relapse on sugar than anything else. Don't be hard on yourself for that!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My eating sugar very well could have wrecked my life. I was 70 pounds over-weight, in a job that had sugar treats all over the place for free. At home I would eat a large tub of Butter Pecan ice cream by myself in one sitting three or four times a week, could eat an entire large pie with cool whip by myself in one day. Had I not reeled that in, I could have ended up at 500 pounds within just a few years.

Yeah. I could have died from sugar. It's bad. Diabetes, pancreatic problems, heart disease. Sugar addiction CAN be deadly. Overweight people are in a lot of danger for many reasons. To lose that weight I had to cut out the sugar for the most part. I feel better, and I'm back in my healthy weight range.

I started this addiction at age six. I would steal from my parents dressers to buy candy on the sly at the neighborhood store, then I would eat it in a secret place until I was sick. Then I'd do the same thing the next day. I knew it was wrong.

Sound familiar ^^?

I wasn't over eating ribs and baked potatoes. It was sugar.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are some wonderful vegan desserts! Still sugar of course, but coconut milk and other dairy substitutes. Try "So Delicious" ice cream. you won't go back to regular
Old 04-24-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

Food has certainly wrecked my life (in a way). I can't buy a bag of chips and say I'm only going to eat one serving at a time. I was more than 150 lbs overweight at one point. No problem with alcohol at that time. I lost 125 lbs. with weight loss surgery and then the addiction to food transferred to alcohol. I used to only be overweight. Now I'm overweight with an alcohol problem. Ack!
Old 04-24-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Funny this topic should come up because I was about to start a thread regarding the correlation between sugar and alcohol cravings. I get mixed messages from others when it comes to indulging sugar cravings. Some say it's a "gateway drug" to drinking, and others say as long as you aren't drinking, there's no harm. I guess it depends on the person, but as for myself, I'm much like @DrunkTX. Once I start allowing myself sweets, I get outta control with it.

For instance, I love Candy Corn. Once, during a time when I was sober, I bought a bag of it. By the end of the day, I'd finished the whole thing and bought another! The more disturbing aspect of it is if I indulge my sugar cravings, I do start feeling the urge to drink again. If I don't eat sweets, I feel much more in control of that. Plus, I just feel better physically without all those sugar highs and lows.