Notices

Antidepressant Medication?

Old 04-18-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Idk if it helps bit I'm on lexapro have been for about four days I have high hopes it will help but bearing the addiction requires more than meds and I have a good at home support and you guys of corse! Good luck Hun
Old 04-18-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

555 sure! I am taking Zoloft (well, Sertraline) started in January at the lowest dose, and my psych just increased it to the highest. I am also in therapy weekly with a psychologist and see my psychiatrist once a month.

The combination of the RX and the therapy has worked wonders.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
I don't see it that way at all. To me it seems more like putting a piece of tape over a hole, as opposed to fixing the hole. Take the tape away, and the hole is still there. Antibiotics work a lot differently than antidepressants also. If there were antidepressants that could wipe out depression in 7 days, then I agree one would have to be a fool to not take them. Take antibiotics for a year straight and trust me that you'll wind up with some other problems. Or on additional medication.

Something else I think is REALLY important for anyone, at least in the US, that is considering medication. Think it through thoroughly before consulting a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is NOT a person to make this initial decision with as they absolutely will prescribe medication. That's been my experience, and the experience of anyone I know who's walked through their doors, in my area at least. This is not a doctor knows best situation. They might know what's best regarding what MIGHT be best to prescribe, but will indeed prescribe medication. It's what they do, IME.
I disagree. Clinical depression and mental illness are real, and sometimes need to be treated with medication in addition to lifestyle changes and therapy. Seeing a psychiatrist and taking meds saved my life. I also have to work my ass off to stay mentally healthy regardless of the medication. They are not a panacea, but are useful for some.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I've been on most of the well known antidepressants on and off since I was 18. That's about 30 years. I've experienced severe clinical depression, crippling anxiety, addictions, and a suicide attempt. My mental health has always been somewhat precarious, even for the long period I abstained from alcohol and drugs (10 years), and even during drug and behavioral treatments. I always felt broken, never quite right in terms of mental health. I had seriously horrible withdrawals trying to get off some of the antidepressants, most specifically Effexor and Lexapro. I was seriously dope sick and not able to function without a slow, months-long taper every time. This last 7 years I have been alcohol and drug free, and that includes antidepressants. I have experienced some bouts of depression, but have dealt with them without medication, and addressed them with intensive one/one therapy, exercise, a drastic change in diet, and meditation and study of Buddhism. I have never felt more like myself than I have these last 7 years.

The fact that you are newly sober and are also going through divorce should not be minimized. It is actually appropriate to have feelings of intense grief in light of a divorce. It's a painful and traumatic loss in my experience. Anyway, best to you whatever you choose and be proud of yourself for continuing to look for answers along your journey. Xo
Old 04-18-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I had seriously horrible withdrawals trying to get off some of the antidepressants, most specifically Effexor and Lexapro.
I'm taking Lexapro right now. There have been absolutely no side effects and it has been a big help. I know others that have taken it with no side effects. Turns out a lot of folks that are cardiac survivors go into deep clinical depressions after the surgery. Lexapro is often prescribed in that situation.

If you take it and choose to stop always do it at the direction of your doctor.

I look at it like this. I also take medication because my thyroid doesn't produce enough thyroid juice. It restores a chemical imbalance in my body.

Lexapro does the same thing.

I really regret not taking my doctor's advice earlier because that meant I spent almost a year in needless pain and suffering.

As I said earlier in this thread if you choose not to take advantage of the medical advances in the last 50 years then that's up to you. I know people that still use typewriters. They say the computers make a writer lazy. Perhaps.

I'm grateful to live in a time when medications have been discovered which can help lift me out of the dark black hole called clinical depression.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearLight View Post
I really regret not taking my doctor's advice earlier because that meant I spent almost a year in needless pain and suffering.

As I said earlier in this thread if you choose not to take advantage of the medical advances in the last 50 years then that's up to you. I know people that still use typewriters. They say the computers make a writer lazy. Perhaps.

I'm grateful to live in a time when medications have been discovered which can help lift me out of the dark black hole called clinical depression.

The metaphor doesn't hold up for everyone, though, because while a computer is a clear, consistent improvement over the typewriter, antidepressants don't work as well on everyone, without side effects, like they do for you and for some other folks. I choose not to use antidepressants because Paxil and Lexapro both caused weight gain, a flat affect, headaches, and other unpleasant side effects for me. On Lexapro I became so emotionless that I was hardly functioning. Weaning myself off of it both times was hell on earth, and I thought I was going to die. When I discovered that mindfulness training works just as well as medication, with ZERO side effects, I knew that was the right path. And it worked wonders for me, and it made me feel a thousand times better than anti-depressant medication did.

I just went through a major depressive episode, and I've come out on the other side and am working through it. I honestly think had I taken the medication route a fourth time, I may have attempted suicide. I think it's important, while touting the benefits of these meds, to also make it very clear that it is NOT the best course of action for everyone across the board.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I think it's important, while touting the benefits of these meds, to also make it very clear that it is NOT the best course of action for everyone across the board.
While it's true that not every medication will work for everybody exactly the same way it's important for people to realize that the vast majority of people that do take anti-depressants under a doctors supervision benefit enormously. With ZERO side effects - as was my experience and the experience of others I know taking Lexapro.
I honestly think had I taken the medication route a fourth time, I may have attempted suicide.
And I know people who have had their life saved by taking the proper medication under a doctor's supervision. their lives were literally saved.
Weaning myself off of it [Lexapro] both times was hell on earth
BTW - you should never wean yourself off anti-depressant medication. Always follow a doctors supervision.

I offer this up to counter what I see in our culture as a prevailing bias against anti-depressants and the people that take them. Particularly in western culture there is this fantasy of being able to pull yourself up by the bootstraps. That some how you're less of a person by asking for help - and especially less of a person if you take medication for mental health.

There are a lot of people that don't seek out or accept treatment because of the power of that fantasy. Those are people that suffer needlessly because of the horror stories floating around on the internet. I read them too.

None of them were true for me or the others I know taking anti depressants.

Anti depressant medication is not a magic wand. Neither is a computer or thyroid medication or a birth control pill or a colonoscopy. They are tools that can be used to help improve the quality of life.

Find one or two or three good doctors, get their advise, and please don't rule out all the tools at your disposal.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I did wean myself off the meds under a doctor's supervision. It was still utter, complete torture. I didn't mean to indicate I did it on my own.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Clearlight, I was simply sharing my personal experience as was requested by the OP. I understand and respect that your experience is different than mine. I never once made an anti med generalization so I don't get what you're on about. You might consider returning the same respect.

I'd also like to address your comment that the western world is all about pulling yourself up by your bootstraps. While I would agree that westerners seem to focus a lot on "doing things on your own", I think that westerners actually have more of a desire to avoid any sort of pain or sadness altogether than any other culture. In contrast, eastern philosophies tend to teach sitting with discomfort, not avoiding or eliminating since that's impossible anyway.

I have no judgement on what others do. I simply shared that my experience with medication was not good. I have experienced clinical depression, ongoing for many years. I wasn't a mild case at all, in fact I've been hospitalized because of my mental health, so I do understand depression. In fact, I fully understand wanting to die, actually taking steps to carry that out as I did.

I will say again that I feel more like myself these last 7 years than I have my whole life. That's just my experience. That has nothing to do with your experience.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I had an appointment with my doc and consulted with my therapist and we're going to try Zoloft. I've now been taking it for a week and have experienced some of the crappy side effects such as nausea, insomnia and agitation but I was told they should subside after a few weeks. As it is right now they aren't unbearable so I'm just going to stick with it and I have a follow-up appointment with my doc in 4 weeks. I'm really hoping it helps.

Thank you all so much for your input
Old 04-23-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I would strongly advise seeking as much help from as many people as you can. You been to AA yet too?
Old 04-23-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
I had an appointment with my doc and consulted with my therapist and we're going to try Zoloft. I've now been taking it for a week and have experienced some of the crappy side effects such as nausea, insomnia and agitation but I was told they should subside after a few weeks. As it is right now they aren't unbearable so I'm just going to stick with it and I have a follow-up appointment with my doc in 4 weeks. I'm really hoping it helps. Thank you all so much for your input
I'm on Zoloft and it took about a month to work for me. The side effects went after around a week . Any time I drink though it completely nullifies their effects. Madness to think how for years I persistently complained that they had no effect whilst at the same time pouring a bloody depressant down my trap!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Yeahgr8, I've been working several different angles to stay sober. I'm fortunate to have a good group of very supportive friends, I've been in therapy since December, practice meditation via the Sōtō Zen tradition and I've been using SR since I quit.

I haven't done AA as I don't really think it's a good fit for me and so far I haven't felt the need for any more support. I've started on AD meds to help with severe depression, some that I've battled my whole life, but mostly the pit I've found myself in at the collapse of my marriage. I'll be continuing to work with my therapist whilst on these meds as well.

MrG, So far the side effects seem to come and go. I'm glad the nausea and stomach issues seem to have passed for the most part and I'm just over a week in. I'm just trying to be as self-aware as possible as I'm going through this with positive thoughts that things will get better.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

My doctor put me on Lexapro in October 2013. I was in depression hell. The med probably saved my life. I was planning my suicide. I had no idea what a dark place I was in until the med clicked in. I started seeing results in a few days. Only wish I had been on it years before.

I encourage you to speak with your doctor sooner, not later.