Notices

Outed at work -- your take?

Old 04-01-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
I think it's interesting that I thought it was a big deal when I told C1 that I wasn't drinking (and I had reason to do so), but she apparently doesn't think of it that way.
It's amazing how people are going to respond to the 'I'm not drinking anymore' me.
"Yeah right, you're not going to drink again." I already heard it.

It's almost like a hooker telling her sisters she's giving it up to join a convent to some people.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I personally wouldn't say anything, because they probably wouldn't understand anyway. If anything, their conversation should help you to realize that you made the right decision. If they just want to be around you when you are a joiner, and only then fun to be with, than I say let them think what they want. You are worth more than they will ever know. Move on.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

If I were in your situation (and I expect to be at some point) I'd be grateful for C1 for helping me stay sober by closing loopholes that my alcoholic brain might use as an opportunity to drink. More coworkers who know you don't drink anymore = more reasons to stay sober. I notice C1 didn't say you were an alcoholic, she just said you don't drink anymore. Sounds fair, that's the truth. And C2 makes me tired.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Gah - irritating! At least you know who not to trust with anything you don't want shared in the future.

I'm still struggling with the whole not caring what other people think.

Must admit that I could have cracked my partner round the head when he announced to the bar of our local pub "she's not drinking any more - I think Jesus wants her for a sunbeam." Then I remembered that he was quite drunk, and that's probably the kind of shittily unsubtle and unfunny remark I'd have come out with myself not many weeks ago. I didn't tell him about my first AA meeting earlier this week though. The drunk him has proved himself untrustworthy with that kind of information until I'm in a place that I can afford to risk him becoming a treacherous blabbermouth without it setting me back.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
I would personally leave it. They're obviously terminally stupid. xxxxx
Kate's right... and they sound like utter losers.

"there's no action there"????

seriously... so much more to life than hanging with people who have that kind of perspective.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Courage - I'm at a conference and just had a somewhat similar situation last night. There is always a lot of drinking at these conferences in the evenings (not everyone of course but I believe more than 50% participate on average, people generally like these components of the event). We had dinner and a networking reception with free drinks last night, and that was good because I could talk with many colleagues causally (me not drinking of course).

They closed it at ~10:15 and as usual, people started gathering in smaller groups and plotting which bar to go to. I tried to sneak out silently, but could not manage... got approached by series of people, "we're going to ... for drinks, are you joining?" or "are you coming for a beer" etc etc. I just said ~ "no I think I'm heading to my room" or even "I'm tired and would like to sleep", things like that. Could have just said "no, thanks" but somehow spontaneously I felt that would be too short and aloof with them...

There were a few people there who knew me from my drinking times and said "really?!". "You're boring".

I think they were surprised but were just kidding me, don't really think they cared. Then I just said good night and left. Actually I do believe they would find sober me boring in a booze-fueled late night bar session, and probably I would find it boring, too.
I'll have another night like that tonight. Even more, since it's the last day of this meeting and we'll have a party with a band and free drinks etc. Not sure what I will do yet, probably stay for a while to chat and when I'm bored I'll leave.

Yes kinda awkward situations but I don't mind for a second!

Don't worry about the C's, just leave it
Old 04-09-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

If you make a big thing out of it, it will make you sound defensive when, really, nothing that was said was untrue. Be proud of your sobriety! Let them live with the regrets of drinking.