Notices

I need advice not medical advice but advice

Old 03-20-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need advice not medical advice but advice

So, my sister went through a very large surgery and they prescribed her morphine. She went through the first batch of 100 pills quickly. We got another scrip for her and the doctor said that those pills of 8mg morphine had to last until the 1st. Here is my question. She has gone through 85 of those pills in 4 days. Should I call her doctor? Should the doctor know that she has swallowed a months supply of morphine in less than a week? Is there something that I should be doing? Or, let her deal? Obviously she is not dead but I cant help but to fear and I cant help but to think that this has gotten out of control. What would any of you do?
Old 03-20-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I personally would call the doctor. I would also guess that this is not her first go round at addiction. What is her past and would she be willing to get help?
Old 03-20-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

85 morphine pills over 72 hours is more than a pill an hour which is disturbing to say the least. For anyone that does that has been stoned for three days.

I can't tell you what you should do but my basic philosophy is this...
"if its not right, don't do it. If it's not true, don't say it."

Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would call her doctor, Mizz.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I personally would call the doctor. I would also guess that this is not her first go round at addiction. What is her past and would she be willing to get help?
No, this is not her first go round with this sort of thing. She will not get help for her problems. The whole story and dynamic is really messy. I just dont know what to do, but my heart tells me to call the doctor. If I do call and my sister finds out, then I am no longer in her good graces and she will not speak with me again. I know this about her. We have had cyclic negative problems our whole lives. I want to help her through chemo and get her going again. I guess I dont know what to do. The web says that withdraw from morphine is horrendous. I am scared for her. I am also scared that if she finds out that I have informed the doctor then I cant help her with chemo. Im rambling. This is a ******* mess.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

At the rate your sister is ingesting those morphine tablets, she will very soon exhaust her supply. When she attempts to refill her prescription or request a new one, her pharmacist or doctor will realize what she has done. In the meantime, is there any way to control the rate with which she takes the remaining tablets?

I am still of the opinion that you should call the doctor.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Hide the pills, call the doctor.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post

she has swallowed a months supply of morphine in less than a week?
sounds like she will be out of pills in a short time (possibly already)
since she took them all so very fast
surly the doctor will not give her another refill ??

hopefully she will not go to the streets looking for more

I would take the following questions directly to her
do you think that you are an addict ?
if so maybe you would like to seek some help ?

MM
Old 03-20-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Mizzuno;
What about if you just give a heads up to the doctor so they just don't renew her prescription? You can tell him the situation and that you don't want him to share the info that you called.
It will be obvious since she will be out by tomorrow.

Also, you could just let her run out--they shouldn't renew them anyway that fast.
It seems that unless they are grossly negligent (which can happen, I know) she shouldn't be able to access an endless supply whether you tell them or not.
Am I missing something?

Sorry you are going through this. Your family is a lot like mine I think. Hang in there.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I concur with SoberLeigh. With every script there is, or rather should be a pharmacy disclaimer stating something along the lines of..."if this px is required before --/--/-- please contact your Dr.

I would like to assume her Gp/Surgeon has not prescribed a repeat Px. You can call her GP all you like but they will not give out any info for confidentiality reasons...........on top of that, you'll only broaden the gap of your relationship. Ultimately though, having taken that amount of opiates in such a rapid time period means that shortly she will be withdrawing and crying out for more. This I believe is where you get to be one step ahead, pull in the reigns, address it from a subjectual point of view..........when she reaches for her next tab..........ask her to score her pain from 1-10........let her create her own chart........necessity (pain) over desire (addiction). She'll run out soon and hopefully before she does she'll be able to learn the coping mechanisms to take the medication for not it's desired but required effect.

I wish you and your Sister all the best.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

SO, after talking with my brother and husband, we have decided to let this play out on its own. I do not nor can I control her. She will be in withdraw and then she can deal with this with her doctor. I however, can be there for her. It is all too much. Its not like dealing with one issue, there are many involved and its creating a lot of drama. Par for the course. My brother is concerned. I am concerned. We just want the best for her. What we think is the best is not necessarily what she thinks is the best. So, I will put this to rest. There really is nothing that I can do without causing a gap between us. We did not talk for one year. Now that she is going through these medical problems, I want to be there. However, being there is really hard when there is so much to deal with.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
sounds like she will be out of pills in a short time (possibly already)
since she took them all so very fast
surly the doctor will not give her another refill ??

hopefully she will not go to the streets looking for more

I would take the following questions directly to her
do you think that you are an addict ?
if so maybe you would like to seek some help ?

MM
Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Hi Mizzuno;
What about if you just give a heads up to the doctor so they just don't renew her prescription? You can tell him the situation and that you don't want him to share the info that you called.
It will be obvious since she will be out by tomorrow.

Also, you could just let her run out--they shouldn't renew them anyway that fast.
It seems that unless they are grossly negligent (which can happen, I know) she shouldn't be able to access an endless supply whether you tell them or not.
Am I missing something?

Sorry you are going through this. Your family is a lot like mine I think. Hang in there.
No, she can not access an endless supply. The pharmacist was adamant about this when we picked up the script. I am just concerned. Righfully so. Yikes. This will all work out. It really will.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're in the middle of this Miz but considering everything I think you're made a good call in an impossible situation.

Your sister may not thank you now but I hope she will one day.

D
Old 03-20-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope your sister will realize she needs help and ask for it.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Im suprised she was given such a prescription for so many all in one go, they must have known her medical history. In the UK that would never happen...drs can be so stupid sometimes! Am sorry you have to deal with all of this, I hope things turn out for the best. You will be there for her, that is the main thing, keep strong x
Old 03-20-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Mizzuno, sounds like you are in a really difficult situation. Of course you're concerned, and don't want to do anything to wreck the relationship if it's just getting back on track. It is so hard to let it play out, I'm dealing with that with a friend and it's very scary.

I'm glad you have your brother and her husband with you to help make these kind of decisions. Hang in there, and know we are all sending you prayers and good thoughts for your family!
Old 03-20-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I would have a talk directly with her, also be advised that when you go off schedule and use up your script early the doctor and the pharmacy will not renew it
Old 03-20-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mizzuno, I think your decision is the best thing to do. The pills will soon be gone and then she will have to deal with her dr and the consequences.

My concern is your determination to help your sister through this tough time and to be there for her. She is already making that difficult for you and she may make it impossible. I think that you should gently open yourself to that possibility. You may not be able to make this work out the way you want. I hope that things work out and I admire you for wanting to help out.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

One one hand if you do nothing she could die in the process. Morphine is hard on the heart. You would then have to live with the guilt for the rest of your life. I believe you love her, but I don't think ruining your life trying to help someone that refuses help is necessary.

I know it must be hell looking at her destroying herself. But you have a life to live also and deserve to be happy. Just don't loose your self, nor your brother over this. 3 life's ruined does not appear logical.

My Prayers are with you.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that you have been put in such a tough position, Mizz. You're confronted with a choice that's "above my pay grade" so to speak, and I don't envy you at all.