Notices

Working out question

Old 03-03-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

Working out question

So for the last 4-5 years I've worked out very frequently. 5-6 days a weekfor atleast an hour. I still found a way to be a major alcoholic and have been for atleast the last 10 years. In my sobriety the last week since my release from jail I have worked at for at least 2.5 hours a day. Today I worked out off and on for about 5 hours. Granted I'm not working and it was an icy day outside. I saw an addiction special on MTV years ago where a girl who was an alcoholic became addicted to the gym. Is it dangerous? or likely? Should I be concerned at this stage in my sobriety from alcohol?

I've always got a "high" from the gym and a social worker told me I had an addictive personality.

I just dn't want to literally "run" from my addiction and while working out feels awesome and healthy I wonder if I'm overdoing it.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What stage of sobriety are you, how many days?
Old 03-03-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

24 days so far
Old 03-03-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been stone cold sober for over 18 months and work out regularly.

Here is my .02

I would emphasize the mental over the physical. At the very least, I would encourage you to strive for a sense of balance. Personally, I read twice as much as I physically exercise. To the tune of over 26 books in the last year alone. Don't get me wrong. I believe in maintaining certain physical standards. I run, bicycle, swim and lift weights too. Yet, I never forget that it is my mind, not my body, which is my greatest resource.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What are you doing when you're working out?
If you're doing intense weight and cardio training then 5 hours a day is too much. Your body can't sustain that amount of exercise long term and you run the risk of severe overtraining. Which is not good for your physical or mental health
Old 03-03-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wish I had some desire to exercise! I think I would feel better about myself and maybe lose this 30lbs I gained from prednisone. I would think that if you feel good and your aren't hurting your muscles with over-fatigue that it isn't hurting you. The thing to watch for will be does it interfere with other areas of your life.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Working out is definitely something that has taken a backburner to my alcoholism. My plan was to start hitting the gym daily, after meetings. Didn't go as planned today, of course, but I'm not giving up. Anyway, google something called rhabdomylosis. There was a time when I was really into fitness, and I knew a bodybuilder who developed that. Good luck, and thanks for your kind words and advice on my post.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If its what is keeping you from drinking, then keep at it. Just make sure you are training properly and with good form to avoid injuries. Also ensure your diet is adequate to make up for the calories burned while exercising. If you intend to eventually get into bodybuilding or power lifting, then I do suggest you cut down your work out time to under 1.5 hours. There is really no added benefit, besides burning more calories, to working out that long. If you are looking to get into bodybuilding then join the bodybuilding.com forums and read up as much as you can.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How about some outdoor bicycle riding so as to break it up a little
getting outside is good for us
Old 03-03-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would think it would depend on the intensity you are working at. I am early in recovery myself (less than 2 months) and I have found myself taking 2-3 hour walks...and also doing more cardio and some weights. It keeps me busy and I feel good. But I am walking at a moderate pace - so I doubt it is hurting me. so, I'd say for you, it depends on the intensity.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm definitely a gym rat, spending at least an hour and a half in the gym every day. I'd say I am addicted to it...I feel guilty and bad about myself if I don't go, but I have also made it a daily habit/routine. It's not uncommon to replace one addiction with another, or to have multiple addictions at once. I guess it just depends on, like others have said, what you use it for, what it does to you mentally, etc. (like, is it helping you to escape feelings and problems like alcohol? is it helping you to feel better about yourself? are you in fact self-neglecting by going so hard? would it be considered irrational to other people?) It's easy for an exercise addiction to be considered "normal" or "healthy" though because so many people are overweight and don't exercise. It's one of those things like orthorexia or anything else that society would normally deem "good for someone".
Old 03-03-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SeaScape

hi
I really liked what AMajorityOfOne said
Seems to apply to me...Thanks
Old 03-03-2014, 11:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

5 hours a day is serious over training if you're hitting the weights and cardio. 5 hours of cardio is even a little crazy unless you're training for the tour de france. Since I quit I turned to the gym as a place to find happiness and relaxation after work. 1.25-1.5 hours a day with 1 day off a week. That should be plenty over time. And in my opinion, nothing wrong with being addicted to the gym, don't let it consume every aspect of your life, but investing in your health is a great thing to be thrilled about. Invest time in your healthy relationships too dude!
Old 03-03-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've known people who trained three hours a day to do iron man, so yeah, it sounds a bit excessive.

First things first. If it keeps you sober and isn't affecting your health, address it when you feel secure in your sobriety.

But five hours of just about anything daily will wear you out. Joints, muscles, knees, etc.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Also keep in mind that you can spend hours in the gym without overtraining if you're lollygagging, taking breaks, texting, talking to friends at the gym, on the phone, hell just walking on the treadmill....I can't speak for what Forghetti is doing but, it IS possible that he is just killing time there. I know I don't spend my 2 hours going hard, only about 1 lol That amount of time going hard will definitely burn you out.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

if you're getting proper rest and nutrition, not neglecting other important areas of your life and are attending to the things that underpin your addictive tendencies... no harm no foul!

A working out addiction is probably the best kind you can possibly have!!

Keep it in balance though and don't let working out consume you to the point that other parts of your life (like family, finance, friendship, self-time, spirituality) suffer.... that's when it will become as unsustainable as alcoholism.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

I'm eating very well. I'm in the fun position of trying to gain more muscle so I eat and eat and eat. Taking GNC supps like I always do. Getting my 8 hours of sleep a night. Sleeping real good too cause I'm physically spent at night. Yesterday was a cabin fever day I believe cause the inclement weather. I'm about to work out in a few minutes. Going to keep it to 1.5 hours today. Thanks to everyone for the feedback! I'll try not to overdo it.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

A lot of this depends on how you are training. Many hardcore bodybuilders do 5 days a week but they split muscle groups. The question is, are you fully recovered when you next hit the weights?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am definitely an exercise addict. I know this because I will work out when sick, I worked out after back surgeries (I've had 6 in the past 4 years) way before I was given the ok to do so (so much that I pulled out my neurostimulator implant), have to have both knees replaced at the age of 48. Believe me, you do not want to go down this road. I've had many people tell me that working out is a great addiction but I don't think those people truly understand exercise addiction. It does have some benefits, I have a great cardiovascular system, very low blood pressure, low resting pulse rate, etc.

I think exercise is essential and I do still exercise daily but I agree with the mental part rather than physical. Don't do it as a way to traumatize your body or punish yourself as I have. I am not sure I'll be able to walk in 20 years, or even 15.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

No soreness. I alternate days on pulling and pushing for upper body. I alternate legs and core every other. I also do cardio every other as a regimen. Don't feel sore. Just perfectly fatiguedfor muscle growth and recovery. The feeling of obsession which makes me an alcoholic, is present in my workouts. Reminds me of my addictive personality