Notices

Day 2 again, the devils design

Old 01-22-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Ok, I slipped on day 4.

i dont know if anyone can explain to me what is happening but I start feeling so serious, so boring, difficult to joke, focused like a robot, and then this really clean feeling, and its the clean feeling I want to stop it like this anxiety is strange.
The beer I dont see as the solution to it. The beer I see as just to give me a break from it....

Oh man, I wonder if this is going to drag me down.

Sorry everyone, I will come back for another Day 2 when I am there again, probably in two days

Old 01-22-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think the question we have to ask ourselves is what are we going to do different? What's the plan when you have a craving? Post here asking for support is my plan.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

A return to drinking is always for what drinking did for us that not drinking isn't doing already. Its not more complicated unless were looking for justifications to make out the drinking to be something else. The thing with justifications is they can be worked eventually to mean anything at all, and this is why justifications end up being meaningless.

Often times when a drinker quits, and they feel better about themselves, they don't always really understand how they are also having powerful undercurrents beneath all that goodness. In time, sometimes a single day, sometimes a few days, the undercurrents make they way back to the top naturally. So when we quit and still end up feeling as bad or as weirdly as we did while drinking, it can become a struggle not to drink again. Unless something new is done to get past these same old nothing changes kind of experiences, drinking becomes very attractive since drinking was an already justified go-to solution. Alcohol did for us what we believed we couldn't do for ourselves. As you say, you think the beer gives you a break from feeling wrongness (serious, boring) - the beer helps you stay in the delusion that those feelings are gone, since you don't at the time see it as deluded - you see the beer as being helpful to get for you what quitting didn't give you.

Addiction ambivalence - wanting to quit and wanting to drink - is not an easy experience to deal with. Quitting does work though as the best option for eventually feeling better about ourselves. Alcohol takes away more then it can ever give. Drinking as a quick solution will always eventually once again become unworkable. Quitting is the thing that keeps on giving back.

Good luck with quitting again.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

i dont know if anyone can explain to me what is happening but I start feeling so serious, so boring, difficult to joke, focused like a robot, and then this really clean feeling, and its the clean feeling I want to stop it like this anxiety is strange.
The beer I dont see as the solution to it. The beer I see as just to give me a break from it....
Don't confuse day 4 with the rest of your life...you won't always feel that way.

when we quit most of us have a massive hole where alcohol used to be - good or bad, it was familiar.

Not having iut there is very uncomfortable and most of us hate that feeling...it's tempting to drink again to feel 'normal' but that's a short term view that will get you nowhere.

You want a better normal - you want change or you wouldn't be here- and change means getting through that period of transition and feeling uncomfortable for a while.

you're not alone in all of this - I'll hope you'll try again...things will get better

D
Old 01-22-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can't get to the good days without passing thru the bad days.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Day 2 again....
Old 01-23-2014, 01:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I was trying to think today about what is it really deep down in my heart that wants to drink instead of climbing mountains. And I think I know what it is. In my life at 38 I have seen it over and over that in the minds of other people you never really are their soul friend. Even in a woman you could be making love to her (you think) and later realise that this momet was not the same in her mind as was yours. Thye same scene but it meant something else to her. For example to her it may have been, "Oh I can feel he loves me, my father never loved me".
Same to my mother. She doesnt care what I think. She sends me money, she wants me be successful, but she never cared really what I think. She cared that I was her son, the extension of her. I am hiding in Brasil in shame of not having success yet (I will have success if I dont ruin it with partying all the time instead of solid serious work) and she lies to all her friends about my success.
When I was younger I want to give you an example. I used to play the bassoon. And in Australia you had this national school of exams that go from Grade 1-8. Grade 8 player just blows your mind they are so amazing. BUt you start out young and each year you work towards making another grade. So, I got grade one .My mother was proud and put it in a frame on the wall. Then the next year I got Grade 2. My mother was proud and bought a new frame and put that one on the wall in the house too.
Do you understand then where the problem I had with her begun? I asked her one day after Grade 5, "Mum, i if I have grade 5 then everyone knows i have grade 1-4. So why you need have them framed on the wall? Can you take them down?" (Remember that all my current friends at the time who come round my house see this).
She then got very angry and drew this card I had heard before, "Its MY HOUSE. I do want I want. You pay the bills???"
After that and many times many many many trying to find a way to make her see ME, I found marijuana, alcohol, and these became my new friends.

My mother is still the same today but now I learnt to use it to my advantage and use her like a Bank who trusts in all my business decisions.

I do believe I will go make 25 million dollars over the next five years here in Brasil, but my art of getting the investment capital from her is that (she knows my drinking problem) that I have stopped telling her the truth about one thing, one thing which would break her heart - I hate her. And that fact (going back to the bassoon) also broke my heart too.

Eric Clapton - MTV Unplugged FULL concert - HQ - YouTube

The way she was overboasting about my "successes" actually one day when I was about 17 I had started to see success as painful regret (my mother boasting about it) and I became suicidal in my personal feelings about my life. I stopped trying to succeed and out of spite wanted to see how she would manage watching me fall into ruins.
Is so sad this story. She wanted me so much to be successful and invested all her life in me, but her bragging to everyone about any of the smallest successes, about anything, when we met people she would over speak me and tell them that I am a wonderful dancer that I have the beat,. that I play basson and piano (in front of me) and I just felt totally embarrassed and also could see the kind of embarassmet on the faces of the people she was talking to. I was her property. And now because of the emotional wreck I went through that derailed my ability to focus at Uni (I was the highest IQ entry and high-school score to my Chemical |Engineering course and at that time the faculty was ranked 12th in the world) and I started killing myself slowly to spite her.

My 20 year experiement of avoiding success. And the fruits of it? Did she change? Nope.

You know what hooked me? The Bible. It says respect your mother and father. I felt guilty always then for not respecting her.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

And that is it. If you want to know why and how and continue. I didnt have my father and met him for 3 hours in total in my life when I was under 10 and he came over to *** my mother or something.
Didnt have brothers or sisters, didnt have uncles...My mother was an orphan.

Dont know if any of you know how hard and lonely this world is when you dont have family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b-OHZI1Q5w
Old 01-23-2014, 01:40 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I have more. When I was in first and second year Uni I found some friends who all agreed that the lecture courses were boring and too easy. So we would challenge ourselves by going to the pub instead of the lectures and drinking all our government study money and then one week before exams harrass some student to allow us to photocopy all their lecture notes and then over the 24 hours before the exam without sleep try an cram the entire course into our heads in 24 hours.
I would always get somewhere between 40-58 for the test. My friends 80-90.
I started to worship my friends until one day I looked through all the notes of one of them while he had gone to the toilet and saw that in fact he was studying the whole time. I started to see what cheapness and liars most people are and also thinking what a fool I am. But I never went over to their side. The reaction became a personal journey between me and Christ. Things started to change a bit when I was 35 and some Jehovah Witnesses came to my house and at least they imparted with me one thing I had never known about the Bible that explained that the world was ruled by Satan, that God had given the world to Satan to let Satan make a fool of himself in front of all the other angels that he thinks God does not know how mankind and the Universe should be governed, that men should have free chioce, should not be naive like animals.
And still I kept drinking because the Jehovah Witnesses were too clanny, to cultish, lovely people but the Red Flag for me was that they were governed all very strictly from a headquarters in New York.

So, I walking alone then in the world. I have made sure one thing is I never lied to anyone, never. I know most people would not believe that. Yes I have lied to men in dangerous situations like if they ask me if I am alone in Brasil or if I have family in Brasil I lie to them and tell them my brother lives in Brasil married to a rich powerful family....And you can lie to a tiger too and show him you are not in fear with your body language. You can lie to a Great White in the surf if he nudges you you must chase him because is the psychology of him he nudge you because he was not sure if you were an easy target and if you chase him after then he get scared you have some secret he doesnt know about.
Yes you lie and these are the true examples of the White Lie. But to get something out of someone that they should not give me without my lie, to make a fool of someone without them knowing it, to laugh on a man for being less intelligent or naive, this I have never done. To look down on another person, this I have never done for one second, not for one millisecond. I am Christian 100% I am trying to be man of Christ.

To the atheists who pretend he does not believe in a creator. Yes the same thing I say to them there is no such thing as an atheist in a fox hole.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:46 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Green Bottles,
I'm sorry you have no family - that must be painful.

There's a lot of pain on this website - I think nearly all of us have been through tragedy loss and pain of some kind - and most of us turned to drink or other drugs to try and deal with that.

The thing is...it doesn't work. If it did, our pain would be gone and there'd be no reason to drink. But the pain keeps coming back...

There's other ways to deal with the pain - healthy ways. I know you and I talked about counselling - why not look for a good face to face counsellor?

You don't seem to be lacking money - why not use it to help yourself rather than destroy yourself?

D
Old 01-23-2014, 02:15 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hey Green Bottles,
I'm sorry you have no family - that must be painful.

There's a lot of pain on this website - I think nearly all of us have been through tragedy loss and pain of some kind - and most of us turned to drink or other drugs to try and deal with that.

The thing is...it doesn't work. If it did, our pain would be gone and there'd be no reason to drink. But the pain keeps coming back...

There's other ways to deal with the pain - healthy ways. I know you and I talked about counselling - why not look for a good face to face counsellor?

You don't seem to be lacking money - why not use it to help yourself rather than destroy yourself?

D
"The thing is...it doesn't work." - And I have learnt that the long way. And good to read other stories about people who have learnt that an even longer way...

Is an extremely intense and overwhelming experience to try and leave it.
Bukowsky was a drunk and many say one of the greatest American poets of the 20th century America. He was a rotten drunk, a miserable drunk sometimes, but nonetheless he died from drink but not even young, he died almost 70 or more.

Have a genetic service called 23andMe and for 99$ you can find out if you will die from drink.

This is a hard road. Some men will think they must stop drinking because they decided this month that they "lost the love of their life"/ The only fool who decides that is TRUE is the fool who believes it, i.e. him who says it.

And Dee, I have heard marvelous arguments against AA's philosophy too, by Steton is one and there are others.

FOr me a society where I cant buy alcohol 24/7 might help/.

Here in Brasil I can buy alcohol any moment I want. I can stop in any street and know there is a place to buy alcohol no more than 50 meters from my car, a cold beer. SOmetimes they are not cold enough and I get in fights with them about managing the coldness.

And this is my thread right |Dee? I wont be banned from my own thread? Can I write freely?

How can I use money to help myself? Money buys more beer....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNgmYlGcOrU

"If I hadnt have been a drunkard, I probably would have committed suicide" - Bukosky.

You show me some guy who is climbing mountains, last week he added Mount Everist to his story, and he is smiling and saying ."I am happy". I can see through him.

There is a rational argument to sobriety and I think it has everything and everything to do with removing yourself from the culture and the community that is making you one. You can not stop drinking inside of the same community that caused you to become an alcoholic. You must leave.

If I can guess on this, alot of alcoholics blame themselves for everything.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:26 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

As long as you stick to the rules and guidelines of SR GB there's no reason for you to be banned?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ting-tips.html

Can I make a suggestion tho?

you seem to be an intelligent guy - but you always seem to be looking for valid reasons to destroy yourself.

It is never too late to turn your life around.

I don't believe there is anyone genetically disposed to killing themselves by drink.

Genetics is a lottery in which we have no say, sure - but we are creatures of free will - we can make good decisions - and bad ones about the life we lead.

I come from a long line of drunks - but I am not a drunk.

There is always alcohol around in most places of the world, but I know what alcohol does to me and I choose not to drink it.

You can choose that too GB.

Bukowski may have been a poet and a writer whos works many admire (including myself) but he was, by all accounts, a miserable SOB and a hateful human being with it.

I would choose better role models myself, my friend

D

PS as for AA, I'm not in AA...so I have no idea where you're going with that.
Use AA...don't use AA... up to you...

but do get sober GB.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:34 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

In alot of buisiness deals the other party wants to go out with you and see you get with them totally absolutely drunk and high on every drug that comes your way, they want to see you without any guard and totally lost because it is the fastest way they can know a sense of the true you, wathcing how you speak and behave when you have given up faculties of your mind usually reserved for controlling your basic desires and thoughts inside your head you normally guard from the outside world.

If the soluition like AA claim is that you try a life with never drinking, then too you can lose alot of business deals, alot of experiences.

So I am here to try control drinking but I dont like the AA solution nor the philosophy of them.
And Dee, there is still to date no scientific proof of an alcoholic-gene. So AA are wrong, wrong wrong.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:36 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

"Bukowski may have been a poet and a writer whos works many admire (including myself) but he was, by all accounts, a miserable SOB and a hateful human being with it."

If anyone had to sum him up in fewer words I think is impossible. So true depiction of him absolutely what he was in no fewer words. kkkkkkk
Old 01-23-2014, 02:45 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Ok Dee, but there are alot of AA members around here and I dont believe in their program because it doesnt work. I dont mean to say that I want to drink. Do you know what actualy I want to be in a society who doesnt drink. But I live in one who does.
I say. if we are going to be in a society that drinks then lets be honest and legalise heroine, marijuana, and every single other drug in the world. I think it is a **** drug and destroys too much and almost everything of what we are capable of if you can imagine a child born into this world where it didnt exist for him to know.

With this chance we have had in the last 200 years, with our dicvoeries we have made abd built without some meteorite hitting us and changing everything, without alcohol destroying everything (and dont worry about the bankers who love it destroying everything while they sit up there making all the worst decisions in their elite cartel if idiots), without it having destroyed so much, we would already be colonised on mars and have laser guns ready to wipe out any dangerous meteor (laser to just nudge its path over to die int he sun) we would be totally different society today.

I might argue against AA but they want to say you are weakness rather than realise that all of makind is indentured by this crap you could promote if you owned the televisiuon that alcohol was crap but no, we make it like there are $100,000 bottles of wine and all this crap instead and it is a joke.

Hear no, that I dont agree with AA because they focus the problem onto you rather than lobby for the problem really is the whole culture of it.

Ben Harper - Jack Johnson - In High Tide or Low Tide Live - YouTube
Old 01-23-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hey GB,
Thanks for the Ben Harper link....I Love him

You show me some guy who is climbing mountains, last week he added Mount Everist to his story, and he is smiling and saying ."I am happy". I can see through him.
Are you Happy?
Old 01-23-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

GB I'm starting to think the whole I don't like AA thing is just an obstacle you're throwing in your own way to excuse your drinking.

I don't 'do' AA.

I still got sober.

D
Old 01-23-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by GreenBottles View Post
Hear no, that I dont agree with AA because they focus the problem onto you rather than lobby for the problem really is the whole culture of it.
Rather than taking on the entire world and the civilizations that inhabit it, why not start small and do what is necessary to better yourself? Even with your cynical world view -- not a criticism, but an observation from the body of your comments -- it's difficult for me to imagine that this never occurred to you.

You shun help because it comes from the same culture that's conspiring to destroy you, and your solution is...what?

If your hypothesis that a sane person cannot remain sane in an insane world were true, none of us would be here. Insanity may for some be an adjustment made to survive in an insane world, but it is not the only choice. You've cleverly thought yourself into remaining in the problem rather than taking steps towards the solution, insisting that an indifferent world to bend to your needs and presumptions. Not gonna happen. The world is not a childlike other who you seem to see everywhere and who you can manipulate with clever thinking or adept maneuvers; nor is it the problem. The culture of drinking is not the problem. Alcohol is not the problem. I am the problem.

I'll direct you to the quote by William James in my signature, another one who struggled with both alcoholism and severe depression, but who also worked to build a better way.

As long as you continue to blame everyone and everything else for your drinking, you will remain completely and forever enslaved by it.