Notices

Being sober sucks

Old 01-15-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being sober sucks

Face it, we are all party animals. But people say I need help..but it's so much easier to just stick a needle in my arm. It feels so much better then sitting at a meeting. I get stressed out and don't enjoy music or life much when being sober.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I guess

What I'm saying is it's easier to get high then to do something to change my life.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry you are feeling that way. That feeling sucks.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Yeah dude but that way of life is unsustainable. I'd be right there with you shooting up if it didn't mean selling my sh!t, getting arrested, being dopesick, running out of money. Eventually you gotta face facts and look at the reality of your options. Addiction is like an elevator going down straight to hell, and we can get off at any floor on the way down, but we have to take the steps back up. The point is, yeah sobriety kind of sucks, I get that, but what are your options. Does it suck more than being a slave in addiction? broke, under arrest, always needing a daily fix? And believe it or not, but sobriety has its moments of euphoria, bliss, and excitement without waking up the next morning dopesick/hungover.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That feeling is why I fought sobriety for so long. It always made more sense to fade away and feel good, than be in constant battle with myself....or so I thought until now.
You are not alone in this moment..Be safe..
Old 01-15-2014, 10:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's Easier, yes I fully agree with You there, skatebowls-

My Drinking was My Friend-Easier than being Tolerant and Accepting of a REAL Friend.

It was My Hobby-I considered it an Activity-Easier than being Truly Creative or Active in Life

Drinking was My Stress Relief - Easier than relating to others about Life's Problems and perhaps creating a bond with another Human

Drinking was My Higher Power - Easier than seeing the Power and Beauty that the Universe Truly has to Offer

Drinking LIED to Me when it told Me it was ALL THESE THINGS and I am left with Nothing but a poor excuse for a life because I believed it.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Actually, we aren't all party animals. Some of us lead very quiet lives and enjoy it.

If it's easier to stick a needle in your arm, why are you posting on a recovery forum? I think you want to quit, you just haven't made up your mind to do it yet.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought I was a party animal but I wasn't - I was just an addict.
What I'm saying is it's easier to get high then to do something to change my life.
I think if you really believed that you wouldn't be here on SR.

but ok...even if you do believe it tonight - I can tell you if you continue with active addiction you'll reach a point eventually where all your alternatives are agonising.

You don't want to end up there.

do you think staying sober would be easier if you had your meds skatebowls?
is there any way for you to get them sooner?

D
Old 01-16-2014, 01:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skatebowls View Post
Face it, we are all party animals. But people say I need help..but it's so much easier to just stick a needle in my arm. It feels so much better then sitting at a meeting. I get stressed out and don't enjoy music or life much when being sober.
Maybe you are .

Quite life sober all day long thanks
Old 01-16-2014, 01:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Living clean and sober is a skill, I think. We don't just stop drinking or using and everything gets better. We have to learn better coping skills, manage our emotions etc.

My drinking and using got to the point where fun wasn't any part of the equation. I drank to be numb, not to have fun.

I am not a party animal. I like quiet nights in with my cat (also not a party animal) reading books. I am an introvert. I've often wondered if recovery is harder for people who are extroverts and like enjoy nightlife.

Although, when I stopped drinking, I found that very few people drank like I did and a lot of people can sit on a drink for hours and still have a really good time. I drank until I puked and locked myself out of my flat. Not really fun.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nope not a party animal but a full time mum who works n juggles home life with everything else and believe u me it's easier waking up every morning without feeling like crap or feeling embarrassed that I've drank everything in site n texted crap to people.
You either want to get sober or not
It doesn't such what sucks is when people who drink give u that look n we all know it when u say u don't drink (like a pity look)

If u don't want to drink u have come to a great place of support, yes the first few days/weeks/months even years will be hard but it's now a choice.
Sorry if I'm coming across a but harsh but I needed a kick up the ars3 like this to make me realise life is worth so much more then what comes out of a bottle
Old 01-16-2014, 01:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've never stuck a needle in my arm - just a bottle (lots!) in my face.

I hate being drunk. I hate the life I lead when drinking with all my might - partly because it fools me in exactly the way your substance is fooling you. Life better as a junky? Are you kidding?
Old 01-16-2014, 01:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Junkies n drunks just a different addiction still lost to the cause if whatever has a hold on u.

So If it makes u feel like that drag yourself up n get yourself into something more rewarding. Me personally I have joined a gym and changed my diet. So far in a week I've lost just over half a stone (no I'm not massively overweight) now I feel great as I can see the changes already as to what drink was doing to my body and this was just physically.
If you want to talk im here but I will always tell u as it is as that's what I have always needed
Old 01-16-2014, 02:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I love being sober now xxxxx
Old 01-16-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

wati'll ya see how much better skating bowls is when you're sober...

and everything else too!!!

you can do it!

Old 01-16-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

The easier, softer way leads us to death much more quickly.....

I hope you find the strength to continue in your sobriety. It DOES get better!
Old 01-16-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
LDT

Non-party animal here, but still very social. It amazes me how many more friends I seem to have now that I'm sober.

Living sober IS hard sometimes ......But I can do hard things....So can you, skatebowls.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Falling feels like flying for a little while.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm with Zombiegirl. I really thought I would miss it but I don't. Life might be less "exciting" (and is it really exciting or does it just prevent you from caring that you don't have a life?) but it is far more peaceful.

It really is worth it. Give sobriety some time.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Once you get some clean time you will see that life is much easier being sober. You dont constantly have to get high or drunk to deal with problems. Yes i was a party animal but dont you feel like crap when your high wears off? Being sober you never have to worry about that. Its great if you think about it.