Notices

Class of January 2014 Part 4

Old 01-21-2014, 11:18 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Day 2 and I'm really not looking forward to this. Had no sleep at all, spent all night in a state of panic and fear, sweat and shakiness.

Now I have to go do an 8 hour shift and I'm panicking just thinking about it. I hope I never feel like this again
Old 01-21-2014, 11:23 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  
Administrator

maybe hoping is part of the problem Grindilow?
can you see how thats kind of passive? it sort of lets another relapse happen to you?

maybe you need to get more proactive this time - take back the reins?

I hope the day goes ok

D
Old 01-22-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Definitely not Dee. To be fair I've not even been trying to stay sober. I fully intend to at the start of the day but by the time I've had a stressful day at work I always manage to convince myself.

Just need to get through work today without having a meltdown and put a plan in place. Back to AA no doubt.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:03 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Checking in briefly. I just got done going to the gym for the first time in a few months. I felt so tired and worn afterwards but I'm happy to be getting back into my fitness routine again. It's about to be day 18 for me!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:34 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grindilow View Post
Day 2 and I'm really not looking forward to this. Had no sleep at all, spent all night in a state of panic and fear, sweat and shakiness. Now I have to go do an 8 hour shift and I'm panicking just thinking about it. I hope I never feel like this again
Been there several times during the past year. Drink lots of water, eat fruit and veggies, go for a walk. It will subside and the fog will clear. Good luck...you can do it.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SilentCinemaFan View Post
Checking in briefly. I just got done going to the gym for the first time in a few months. I felt so tired and worn afterwards but I'm happy to be getting back into my fitness routine again. It's about to be day 18 for me!
Exercise is the best thing to do when you are first getting sober! Enjoy the rush of feeling great instead of lousy:-)
Old 01-22-2014, 02:52 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Hi - can I join please? Day 1 and in the horrors
Old 01-22-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Sarah

D
Old 01-22-2014, 03:45 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee - I'm starting out on this battle again - doing a lot of reading right now and can't believe I've gotten so bad so quickly again
Old 01-22-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  
Administrator

It can really creep up on you quickly - I remember that.
Do you have a plan yet?

D
Old 01-22-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Hey Sarah. I know how you're feeling today. I'm really struggling through work right now after a multi day binge.

Look after yourself
Old 01-22-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Hi Dee - my plan is SR and determination right now. Do you have any suggestions? Anything you think will help other than AA?
Old 01-22-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Thanks Grindilow - are you starting on day 1 again too? How long have you gone before? After last nights antics I never ever want to drink again - I just need to get my head on right for it
Old 01-22-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Sarah I'm on day two but feeling really rough still. Hopefully we will feel better by the end of the day.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Oh I look forward to day 2 - I feel so bloooody shocking right now it's ridiculous. Why get ourselves into such a state?!

I hope you feel better soon G
Old 01-22-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Starting day 5. I'm feeling better. I'm focusing on getting healthy. Drinking lots of water hoping to flush this out of me. It could just be a metaphor but it is helping me feel like I'm doing something to help me instead of hurt me like I have been. My husband told me last night that he took a vow for better or worse and he can't imagine living without me. He is staying. But he made sure I knew how scared he is for me and what it is doing to him. It definitely stays in my mind that I don't want to hurt him anymore. I'm doing this! I'm done! How do you tell your friends you aren't drinking anymore without the awkwardness and them feeling like they can't drink when I'm there?
Old 01-22-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Hi startingnew - I'm right with you on the hubby front - I've been told this morning that if it wasn't for the kids mine would be off - it's a sorry state to get in and I just need to sort this out once and for all! I know it's going to be tough but my family are more important to me than wine...I just need to keep that at the front of my mind and fully comit to quitting drinking. As for the not drinking around friends - you could use a diet excuse initially? Or you're on antibiotics? Lots of little white lies until you figure out who you want to tell
Old 01-22-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. I'm starting day 8 a little later than normal. Got the opportunity to go to a University of Kentucky basketball game last night and stayed in the adjacent hotel so no work for me this morning. It was a little bit of a shock when I got here they don't sell beer inside the venue but the hotel lobby had beer carts everywhere. Took our youngest son swimming for a few minutes while I read SR until it was time to go into the arena instead of sticking around the lobby and letting it be a temptation. The basketball game was great though it was a great experience. My wife and boys are from Kentucky so her and the oldest are lifelong uk fans. It was thirst first time being at a home game also.

To those just starting ill echo lots of water fruits and veggies. Keep yourself full an empty stomach can be confused for a craving quite often.

Everyone stay safe and have a wonderful day.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Welcome Gman13 and JustSarah. Getting through the first week is the toughest period of this journey, but it can be done. I became a hermit in my house; going to work and then straight home. Drink plenty of water, Gatorade (or sports drinks), eat, and glue yourself to SR. Just focus on recovery right now and nothing else. The days will drag, but as your sobriety days accumulate, time will begin to pass again and your self-confidence will increase. One day at a time really does work and quickly adds up to weeks and then months. Feel better soon!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Thanks again to everyone for your kind words and encouragement. I feel a lot more clear headed this morning after a bit of quite a bit of sleep.

Talked with my boss last night and he said I can at least work until I go to court in a month. at that time we can re-assess the situation. I think he is willing to work things out so that I can stay on no matter what, like take a pay cut, and demoted to helper status or something. It is something...taking a pay cut is way better than collecting no pay at all.

I will be checking in often throughout the day on my phone. Gonna try to stay more active on the forums and definitely start hitting AA meetings (when I get my truck back). 90 in 90 is on my horizon I think.