Notices

Class of January 2014 Part 4

Old 01-21-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Day 2 and somehow I slept last night... lots of tossing and turning though.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Back to day 1 today.

Hopefully I can stick with the January group.

Thoroughly disgusted and depressed today.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TrickyDave View Post
Back to day 1 today.

Hopefully I can stick with the January group.

Thoroughly disgusted and depressed today.
You can stick with us, we are not going to run you off!

I had some slippage, so I am back at day two. Just need to reload your plan and think about a new plan of attack.

Don't give, you can do this...
Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

As ronjohn says, just reload.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Hi Imabuleva and Tricky, great that you are back with us, please keep trying you are not alone it's a long series of trials and errors for most of us to get it right. Don't focus on disappointment but the lessons instead. I know how hard it is, been there done that many times but the fact that we are here shows that we do want to find solutions
Old 01-21-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Yes, stay on here. I've recently failed but I need to be a piece of furniture on this site. This are clearer than yesterday.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Like some of you, I've been filling a lot of my time with exercising. I've also been doing a lot of cleaning of closets, drawers etc, reading, re-connecting with friends that I had not spoken to in a while and coming here to read and post when I can. I haven't found a meeting that I can make but will keep looking.

RonJohn, I think we all rationalize when we drink, AV says you can quit tomorrow, you deserve to have fun, one drink is ok etc. AV can be a pretty strong sweet talker. Don't beat yourself up, you're back, hang in there!

Starting day 17 and I feel really good. I've finally started sleeping at night and feels so good to wake up with a clear mind, no guilty feelings and no headache.

Welcome new classmates! Good day, everyone!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

doesnt take much does it...

HALT, PAWS...breath....HALT, HALT,....PAWS PAWS PAWS.
I'm exhausted!

Old 01-21-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
What are your plans, what are you going to do to fill your void?? I think we could all benefit from our collective ideas of what might make sobriety work...this time!!
The same as what I was doing when I was drinking, just without the drink. That may sound weird but it's true. I'd drink at home while watching the tv, now I'll just watch tv without the beer in my hand. I'm not going to let this dictate the rest of my life, I'll still go to pubs, still go out with my mates etc, I'll just be the one holding something non alcoholic.

I honestly believe the key to this is living a normal life and not basing everything around what would minimise temptations. That to me would end up being a pretty miserable existence.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

after my big session yesterday I cant move my arms very high today a day off today, but back on it tomorrow
Old 01-21-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post

What are your plans, what are you going to do to fill your void?? I think we could all benefit from our collective ideas of what might make sobriety work...this time!!
I plan on making health and fitness my top priority. I obviously couldn't go on a run when I was hungover, so it will definitely be something different and new. I live in a rural area with loads of beautiful back roads and a huge snowmobile path that is used for biking and walking and horse riding in the summer.
I want to run a 5K race this summer and that is my goal.

My passion is horses and I recently sold my horse.I only had her for 2 months. It breaks my heart and I'd like to think alcohol had nothing to do with it, but in retrospect, it did.
Horses are hard work, and when you're at the bottom of your game, it doesn't work well. Hauling hay and shoveling manure is not for the faint of heart or hungover. They also cost a lot of money. $60 a week/$240 a month that I spent on alcohol could've bought a lot of feed that I thought I didn't have the money for.
I was trying to train her and I had no confidence in myself, since I was always hungover. The last straw is when she threw me to the ground and I slammed my head. Could've happened regardless of drinking, but yes, I was hungover, bleary-eyed and had no energy, and was completely out of shape. I hurt for days.
If I was in good, sober shape, I would've had more money for her, more energy, and probably wouldn't have landed quite so much like a fat, pasty, weak sack of potatoes.

So just had to get that off my chest. It has been haunting me, and I haven't admitted it until now.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Im sorry and embarassed to say this, but I am back to square one...I got my first DUI last night...I feel helpless, hopeless, ashamed, embarrassed, and guilty...while I have never been a suicidal thinker, or could ever understand how someone could want to kill themselves, I can honestly say that I know now that a feeling of deep dark hopelessness, and powerlessness, can cause people to have suicidal thoughts...This DUI ruins my life. I drive a company truck for a living... My career in this field is over...

Sick thing is...when I got home this morning I walked over to QT to buy some alcohol and drank like a dehydrated camel...thats some eff'd up **** right there folks...

Please stay sober you guys, your SLIPS, can ruin your life...

I plan for today to try and convince my boss to keep me on in some capacity...get my keys from my car that's in impound, find a way to tell my dad (who will be crushed) and sleep off today's nightmare before doing everything in my power to stay sober from tomorrow on.

Im an AA type, and was in it for 7 years before relapse 5 years ago. I know that works for me, and while I have gone to an AA meeting recently or 2...I have not been serious about sticking around... It works if you work it.

Thanks for being here.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

I am back for day 1.

This passed weekend ran into drinking during the week. Having beer to wake me up in the morning and to chase away the hangover. That would lead to all day drinking. I even broke my own rule yesterday and drove after a drink.

Add to thst I have been an emotional wreck this week and alcohol made me over react to different things in my life.

So today, I am going to clean my house andI am going to avoid my triggers. The biggest trigger is social media. I get upset and then drink.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Irelander I'm really sorry to hear that. I really hope you can sort something out with your boss. It's a scary thought, I'm not sure about you but when drinking im completely out of control. I make the most awful decisions.

I know how you feel though, I'm going through withdrawals myself yet again.

We can turn this around though, or we wouldn't be here.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Arctic, there is NO WAY I could have taken care of a horse in any of my drinking moments. You protected her by selling her. I'm sure it wasn't easy.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheAceFace View Post
The same as what I was doing when I was drinking, just without the drink. That may sound weird but it's true. I'd drink at home while watching the tv, now I'll just watch tv without the beer in my hand. I'm not going to let this dictate the rest of my life, I'll still go to pubs, still go out with my mates etc, I'll just be the one holding something non alcoholic. I honestly believe the key to this is living a normal life and not basing everything around what would minimise temptations. That to me would end up being a pretty miserable existence.
Hi Ace...I've had this same attitude since the time I first started to try and give up drinking over a year ago. For me, this approach clearly hasn't worked. Sure I have been to a pub and managed not to drink. I've also been to parties and stayed sober. But...I haven't changed enough of my past activities that are associated with drinking and have put myself at a high risk of relapse and eventually caved, multiple times. Some things are easier said than done and I just want to share my experience, that's all. A lot of my friends were more drinking buddies than friends. I honestly don't think I can hang out with them anymore, not if I'm true about my commitment to sobriety.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Oh Irelander I'm sorry to hear of your hard time right now. I really hope you don't lose your job stay strong x
Old 01-21-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Interesting point about changing drinking activities. I used to play games on my phone and chat. I still do that. Maybe I'm setting myself up to fail.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by new star View Post
Interesting point about changing drinking activities. I used to play games on my phone and chat. I still do that. Maybe I'm setting myself up to fail.
I think different approaches work for different people. I used to drink on the couch every Friday night - don't go out much because I have two young ones. Now I sit on my couch and NEVER drink - this has been a successful practice for the past 6 months. But...I still hang out with the same 'dangerous' people from time to time and nearly always end up relapsing when I'm with them, almost to not let them down in a way. It's pretty obvious what I need to do here - avoid these tempting people and situations at all costs, or I'll keep joining a new class every couple of months. Last year I was class of June, July, and October...and here I go again. Clearly, something has got to change:-)
Old 01-21-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  

wow, I'm not going to lie, I'm so sad to hear all the slip ups. This is something that does happen though so it's best that you guys get back on the bicycle quickly and evaluate why it happened.

I've been checking this forum every single day to keep me in line, I also set up some reachable monthly goals so that I'm striving for something. I've been trying to get some regular sleep at least 7 hours because that really boosts your confidence if you are well rested and ready to start the day with a smile. Drink lots of water, you are well hydrated and keeps you active. Make sure you are eating healthy and taking some vitamins too because your diet has a huge impact on your mind as well.

Make sure your life is well organized and you journal every night before you go to bed to vent out things, or come on SR and vent out your frustrations, even if they sound ridiculous.

Always keep your head up and remember that some of us on here really rely on you as well to stay sober so we can have support too.

It's sad to say, but nobody in my family knows that I have decided to not drink anymore so when I tell you guys, at least somebody knows and supports me.

Thank you for reading and have a good week! hopefully sober week! THANK YOU