Notices

One Day At A Time VS Quitting For Life

Old 01-15-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

So are AA meetings, and what it's speakers, members, chairmen etc advise... Not AA? Or is there a separate big book club? Big book anonymous? I'm confused... I just assumed what I heard in AA meetings and from AA members was... AA?
Old 01-15-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
So are AA meetings, and what it's speakers, members, chairmen etc advise... Not AA? Or is there a separate big book club? Big book anonymous? I'm confused... I just assumed what I heard in AA meetings and from AA members was... AA?
.....'n that's what can happen when folks assume. Actually what is heard in AA meetings is the opinions of the members and whoever else might be there. For AA, I usually go to AA's official site, and their books.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 01-15-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
.....'n that's what can happen when folks assume. Actually what is heard in AA meetings is the opinions of the members and whoever else might be there. For AA, I usually go to AA's official site, and their books.

(o:
NoelleR

Got it. Makes perfect sense. What are the members of AA practicing if they follow this? They are AA members, attend AA meetings, some have sponsors and all the AA literature but... They are not AA... At least the online/websites version? Is it a sub culture of the "real AA?"
Old 01-15-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
AA member

I live my life a day at a time.I am a member of AA and I am told I cannot ever drink again,there must be no doubt about that.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
Got it. Makes perfect sense. What are the members of AA practicing if they follow this? They are AA members, attend AA meetings, some have sponsors and all the AA literature but... They are not AA... At least the online/websites version? Is it a sub culture of the "real AA?"
There is no such other "real AA" besides the actual AA that exists. The inherent freedoms provided for individuals within the fellowship of AA is distinct from the formality required of the program. The program is unchanged and speaks for itself. The fellowship is very much reflective of each individual meeting or event respectively, and of course the fellowship has changed thru the generations, as would be expected.

Weaver, it doesn't matter how many ways you ask the same question, as if expecting there is an as yet undisclosed official answer which will satisfy your inquiry concerning how members speak of their experiences. There exists only "official" legal documentation and other literature from the General Service Office. From their web site is this link to a pdf which is the most official answer you'll get:

"This Is A.A."
Alcoholics Anonymous : This is A.A.

As for the fellowship and the program, each meeting is autonomous and operated as they themselves see fit, as long as they adhere to the actual 12 steps of recovery as written in the Big Book "Alcoholics Anonymous" they have opportunity to be listed as an approved AA meeting.

How members or ex-members talk on their experiences has nothing to do with what is or isn't AA. Ironically, this may seem to make little sense at first, and yet it works simply because there is no other governing body for AA besides the GSO (General Service Office) and they are not concerned whatsoever with what anybody says of their own personal experience. The whole point of personal experience shared within AA is to be helpful to a fellow alcoholic, and free exchange of such experiences is the life-blood of AA, and so all other issues, concerns, statements, and so on - all simply become outside issues. AA in fact officially has no opinion on outside issues, including of course with how individuals choose to speak about their own experiences.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
There is no such other "real AA" besides the actual AA that exists. The inherent freedoms provided for individuals within the fellowship of AA is distinct from the formality required of the program. The program is unchanged and speaks for itself. The fellowship is very much reflective of each individual meeting or event respectively, and of course the fellowship has changed thru the generations, as would be expected.

Weaver, it doesn't matter how many ways you ask the same question, as if expecting there is an as yet undisclosed official answer which will satisfy your inquiry concerning how members speak of their experiences. There exists only "official" legal documentation and other literature from the General Service Office. From their web site is this link to a pdf which is the most official answer you'll get:

"This Is A.A."
Alcoholics Anonymous : This is A.A.

As for the fellowship and the program, each meeting is autonomous and operated as they themselves see fit, as long as they adhere to the actual 12 steps of recovery as written in the Big Book "Alcoholics Anonymous" they have opportunity to be listed as an approved AA meeting.

How members or ex-members talk on their experiences has nothing to do with what is or isn't AA. Ironically, this may seem to make little sense at first, and yet it works simply because there is no other governing body for AA besides the GSO (General Service Office) and they are not concerned whatsoever with what anybody says of their own personal experience. The whole point of personal experience shared within AA is to be helpful to a fellow alcoholic, and free exchange of such experiences is the life-blood of AA, and so all other issues, concerns, statements, and so on - all simply become outside issues. AA in fact officially has no opinion on outside issues, including of course with how individuals choose to speak about their own experiences.

Thank you for the clarification. Regardless of how many ways I ask the question or how many varied, lengthy, reaching answers there are I guess we all agree on one thing. Do what works for you.