Notices

The deadly serious nature of alcoholism

Old 01-14-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

thanks for helping me stay sober today.

For me... these kinds of reminders, while gloomy, are essential. Because I'm blessed enough to have made the decision to live sober at a stage of my progression in alcoholism where I still HAVE choice. But that's a double-edged sword because lacking a lot of the terrible stories for my own, having never 'lost it all' or gotten to the point where I couldn't live with or without alcohol - it's easier for me to fall prey to the influence of my Alcoholic Voice....

There's a board down at the club where I attend one of my local AA meetings. It has names all over it... and every so often another name is added. Names of those who have gone before us... who turned up at meetings for a while or were there for a long long time - but never came back.

There - but for my own choice and the strength of Spirit - go I....

Old 01-14-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
thanks for helping me stay sober today.

For me... these kinds of reminders, while gloomy, are essential. Because I'm blessed enough to have made the decision to live sober at a stage of my progression in alcoholism where I still HAVE choice. But that's a double-edged sword because lacking a lot of the terrible stories for my own, having never 'lost it all' or gotten to the point where I couldn't live with or without alcohol - it's easier for me to fall prey to the influence of my Alcoholic Voice....
I feel that I am in the same boat as you. I am thankful that I have been able to recognize my alcohol abuse before I became physiologically dependent or 'lost it all' but then I find its easier for me to convince myself that I don't have a problem then. I have to ask myself what will it take before I fully realize I can't live a life with alcohol in it?
Old 01-14-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

it takes a decision to value the wonderful things this joyous life can offer without booze.

there are a billion billion things to enjoy in this life we're blessed with. All we're choosing is to celebrate those billion billion and let the one path (that hasn't worked out well for us) fall to the wayside.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

I joined here in 2008, so it's been that long since I've been thinking about breaking free of Alcohol.
I don't know how many times I've failed to this point, but every time I do I go away because I don't feel like I belong here.
I'm almost at my longest sober run since I started drinking and I don't think it would be possible without this forum.
Today is today, I'm here and I'm booze free, and today is a good day.

Peace and THANKS
D.D.