Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

The only thing keeping me sober today is my 9 year old daughter.

Notices

The only thing keeping me sober today is my 9 year old daughter.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wow, this hits home a couple of ways:

When I was a kid, and my dad would go on a business trip, my mom used to hit the gin pretty heavily, and the evening was very scary to me and my brother who didn't understand what was going on, why she was acting so strange, and saying such horrible things.

Fast forward to the last year or two, and I'm sure I scared my boys (20 & 17 now) with bizarre behavior, blacking out, and all that.

Stay sober for your daughter!!!!!
Old 01-09-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You will make it through! Everyday it will get better. If you drink, you'll just end up feeling worse and you will be much worse off than you are now. We all have the strength to get through this and to be happy. And YOU deserve to be happy. You owe it to yourself to be the best version of you...physically AND emotionally.

Xoxo
Old 01-09-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This post hit home for me today. And KateL's daughter's words made me cry as well.

If I didn't have kids, I probably would have drunk myself to death by now. My dad is an alcoholic and my mom is an alcoholic and their parents were also alcoholics, along with lots of aunts, uncles and cousins. I cannot be those things to my kids -- not just so they have better childhoods and not just so I don't lose precious time with them -- but also because the sooner I break this pattern in my family, the more of a chance that my kids have of NOT turning into alcoholics themselves.

This decision on my part to become sober -- it may very well be the generational break in our family alcoholism that helps my children not go down this same road. It's certainly worth a try. So while I absolutely do this for myself, my motivation is also that I might give a better life to my children - and their children and their children's children and on and on. ME. I could maybe put that much positive difference into the universe. It gives a significance to my sobriety that helps me immensely.

Jackie
Old 01-09-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't know how much support I can offer but.... I have boys, 18 & 12. Their dad passed away 2 1/2 years ago so all they have is me now. When my 12 yr old found out about my relapse a few months ago, he burst into tears and cried unconsolably for a long time. All he could manage to say was, "please mama, no..." They are more aware and sensitive than you realize. Stay strong for your little girl. There is no worse feeling than hurting them more than you hurt yourself. One hour at a time, you can do this.