Notices

Not sure I'll make it through the weekend sober

Old 12-13-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure I'll make it through the weekend sober

It's Friday night here now and I'm dealing with an emptiness, boredom and, I guess cravings which start at the pit of my stomach.

I'm home now with no alcohol. It's snowing, I've eaten and I'm going to bed so I won't be drinking tonight. It's now 6 full days but the reasons that I came to sr again are becoming distant. If I'm being honest I'd say that the chances of me caving are about 40 percent. At the back of my mind is Christmas and new year and how difficult it will be to stay sober. My av is telling me that now is not the right time. It says have a blast now and then have a real go come the new year.

I feel as if I'm waiting for something. But of course my thinking is all wrong, it's kind of like trying to reach the horizon, an impossibility.

On the plus side I should feel great tomorrow when I wake up and realise I didn't drink on a Friday for the first time in ages, Thursday also for that matter.

Off to bed sober but anxious and needy.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well you are fighting it, think about how bad you would feel hungover tomorrow , I am only 5 days dry,,, but don't want to start again... Keep strong hate the booze...
Old 12-13-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Midton

Try to not focus on the future as that is what causes anxiety. You have no control over the future. None of us do. Let it go. Simply focus on the present. You'll go to sleep and get a good rest. That's all you need to focus on now.

Dee has a guide on Christmas which you can find somewhere on this forum. Its easy to search (Thanksgiving and Christmas) which you may find useful...
Old 12-13-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Our AV's must be friends! Having many of the same thoughts especially about how hard it will be making it through the holidays sober, how I could just put it off till New Year. What's keeping me in it is remembering why I needed to quit in the first place and how much worse withdrawals are after every relapse. Every time I've slipped it seems more and more difficult to get back on the wagon. I can't compromise my health and well being based on what the calendar says anymore.

Stay strong my friend, we can do this!
Old 12-13-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Agree with the others, don't worry about the future, at least as far as drinking is concerned. I'm not in AA, but the saying "one day at a time" truly works wonders.

You can only concentrate on this moment, on this day, and what you are doing with it. So, for this one moment, don't drink. Then just stretch those moments out.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Think it through. What led you to quit 6 days ago? If you drink this weekend, how are you going to feel in the morning? Your AV is being fed by your indecision. Do you have any support system around you?
Old 12-13-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You'll make it. These first days can be really rough - it's not always like this, though. It's really hard to see past a WHOLE DAY in the beginning. But with each day, you will grow strength.

A little tip: if you say there's a "slight chance I might relapse", then you probably will relapse. Just keep repeating and telling yourself that you are not going to drink. That you will be healthy. You will get out of this cycle. You just have to stay focused. I'd suggest staying close to SR this weekend. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm a big believer of writing down how you felt 6 days ago, what led to you want to quit, the emotions, the withdrawal effects (if any). Stick it where you need to read it... on the fridge, on the door whatever.

In my opinion until you stop fighting and say 100% I will never drink you'll be unhappy and discontent with your sobriety. Boredom is easily fixed without alcohol. Movies, music, walking, reading, gaming, exercise... get something crafty to do, find a hobby. Sitting and getting drunk in a bar or at home, wasting money, talking rubbish... is that not what's actually boring?
Old 12-13-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi. I hope you can hang in there to prove to yourself that you can do it. A phrase that means a lot to me many years later still is

" If I don't pick up the first drink, I don't have to get sober AGAIN."

BE WELL
Old 12-13-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Think it through. Why did you want to quit in the first place? You can do it. Join the weekenders thread in this forum. It should already be going. If not, it will be soon.

I always looked ahead to justify my drinking before quitting. Wait until Monday. Wait until vacation. Wait until after the holidays. But there is always a different holiday coming up. If not Christmas, then New Years. Then Martin Luther king day, Presidents' Day, Easter, etc. give yourself the gift of a sober Christmas.

If you can't remember your own pain I will share a text my husband sent yesterday following a two day binge during which I saw little of him. "Still going through withdrawal." "Was drinking hard liquor yesterday and all day before. Shaking, heavy anxiety diarrhea and vomiting." "I feel alone." Then later tells me he thinks he had a seizure. Sounds lovely? He says he wants to stay sober too but most likely will happen is the same old "stop, rewind, repeat" in a few days when he starts listening to the AV again.

Be kind to yourself and stay stopped. You have seven (?) days. You can do it.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Please stay focused on the end game. Drinking again will only make you mad at yourself for caving into the desire. You can do this. We all can if we just push through. And by the way, my body started feeling better around the 6-7 day period. I'm on day 19 and I just can't go back there. My sleep is much better and I feel so much better when I wake up.

Do something nice for yourself this weekend for a reward. Something new to wear or something as simple as your favorite food or treat. Reflect on the bad stuff so you know you don't want to repeat that again. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midton View Post
It's Friday night here now and I'm dealing with an emptiness, boredom and, I guess cravings which start at the pit of my stomach.

I'm home now with no alcohol. It's snowing, I've eaten and I'm going to bed so I won't be drinking tonight. It's now 6 full days but the reasons that I came to sr again are becoming distant. If I'm being honest I'd say that the chances of me caving are about 40 percent. At the back of my mind is Christmas and new year and how difficult it will be to stay sober. My av is telling me that now is not the right time. It says have a blast now and then have a real go come the new year.

I feel as if I'm waiting for something. But of course my thinking is all wrong, it's kind of like trying to reach the horizon, an impossibility.

On the plus side I should feel great tomorrow when I wake up and realise I didn't drink on a Friday for the first time in ages, Thursday also for that matter.

If your goal is sobriety, you will ultimately need to confront the allure of holiday drinking. I say find a hobby or task into which you can significantly delve. Perhaps the distraction will keep your anxiety at bay.

Talking helps also, particularly if you have a close person who can empathize. If all else fails, "binge" on SR. There are plenty of us here facing a similar predicament.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Try to relax and do something you wouldnt normally do. We addicts are nothing but repetitive in our nature. So do something spontaneous that doesnt involve drinking. Surprise yourself, go on. You will be glad you did.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I find in those times reading your old threads can be a real eye opener! Stay strong and stay here.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Boredom is a big trigger for me. Have you considered attending meetings, at least through the holiday season, in order to pass the time?
Old 12-13-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Good luck to you. You can do it. Have you joined any of the support threads like the weekend one?
Old 12-13-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You can do this--I've noticed that so many people "set up" their relapse by saying they are losing their resolve.

Attack this and say no way. I'm not giving in. I can make it another hour, 24 hours, week. The decision to pick up that first drink is not inevitable.

Remember Terminator 2? "NO FATE"
You can do it.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree, there must be something that made you quit 6 days ago. Re-visit that to renew your vows, so to speak. Focus on the fact that you're really not sacrificing anything by giving up alcohol. It doesn't provide any positive benefits. It makes you dizzy, disorientated, dumb, it dulls your senses and makes you a zombie. That isn't exactly the basis of a good night. Stay focused!
Old 12-13-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If (God forbid) you do end up caving, you should try something. Focus on whether or not you're having fun as you drink. I bet you any money that the answer to this will be a surefire "No". When was the last time you had fun while drinking? If you're anything like me, it just hasn't been fun for many, many years. It's best to skip that altogether.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This might not work for you, but I find it a good comfort. Fire up Netflix (or similar - I wont judge your choice based on its legality ) and find a series. One thing thats helping me is almost from when I get up to go to bed I'm sat watching Star Trek Voyager. I get so into it that it distracts me and before I know it, its too late to go to the shops even if I was clawing at the walls.

House is another good one for marathon viewing (plus it allows the addition of seeing how much addiction screws up everyone and everything around him!)