Notices

Not Drinking on Thanksgiving

Old 11-28-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
EndGame

Sounds like the Church Lady had or is currently having a very unhappy relationship. And that she's now in the business of giving to others the gift that keeps on giving.

We learn through the AA Big Book and elsewhere that it's our responsibility not to put ourselves in situations in which we become the victim, and from which we accumulate additional resentments.

You did the right thing.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

What a crazy person!!!! How awful! I'm so sorry you were verbally assaulted by this insane woman.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

W - you handled yourself with grace, dignity and class.

Your posts inspire me and I am glad you are part of this community.

Just wanted you to know that
Old 11-28-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think that was the right thing to do. Nobody has an endless patience to listen to nagging self-centered idiocy from someone who doesn't understand anything. So most importantly don't let it get to you. Some people just are like that and can't stand other people differing from their own beliefs and opinions... that lady was rather rude in what she said... but remember: the one who insults the other is the only one being disgraced, so she was just putting herself down with her arrogant and mean comments.

Very nice to read your inspiring posts by the way wpainterw.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Dee wisely recommends that I put all of this behind me. That I "turn it over" as they say. The woman is troubled, is a stranger and I cannot make her happy. Even though I do not know what troubles her (or perhaps because I cannot know) I can forgive her, for forgiveness costs nothing.
There is one thing, however, I cannot put behind me and that is all the wonderful affection, support and concern which all of you have given me in your posts. There are some terrible things happening in this world but one thing I have found which brings joy to my heart and is what I have always wanted, the hand of fellowship reaching out and saying, "We care. We have been where you are or we are now where you have been." That one thing is worth all the gold and diamonds in the world. It upholds one's faith in humanity. Thank you!

W.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

HH the DL once said, "what you think of me is none of my business."
Old 11-29-2013, 01:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skyjumper1 View Post
I'll have to think that one over! And, according to Buddhist beliefs I'll have endless eons in which to do so as I revolve in an endless cycle of rebirths, sometimes as an elephant (I'd like that!), sometimes as a cockroach (really not my style). Let's settle on a humming bird and leave it at that.

Q.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

wpainterw,

You did the right thing and I agree with previous replies where I'm not sure I could have handled it with the dignity that you did.

One thing I would have said after her rude statement would have been "Now, that's not a very Christian statement is it?"

You handled it nicely.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skyjumper1 View Post
Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
I'll have to think that one over! And, according to Buddhist beliefs I'll have endless eons in which to do so as I revolve in an endless cycle of rebirths, sometimes as an elephant (I'd like that!), sometimes as a cockroach (really not my style). Let's settle on a humming bird and leave it at that.

Q.
You can push that one to as many levels as you like for examination of self, but it is also a very good non-answer retort to folks that want to tell you how to mind YOUR business. One day I hope to be mentally nimble enough (again) to use it as such...

Old 11-29-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Dee wisely recommends that I put all of this behind me. That I "turn it over" as they say. The woman is troubled, is a stranger and I cannot make her happy. Even though I do not know what troubles her (or perhaps because I cannot know) I can forgive her, for forgiveness costs nothing.
There is one thing, however, I cannot put behind me and that is all the wonderful affection, support and concern which all of you have given me in your posts. There are some terrible things happening in this world but one thing I have found which brings joy to my heart and is what I have always wanted, the hand of fellowship reaching out and saying, "We care. We have been where you are or we are now where you have been." That one thing is worth all the gold and diamonds in the world. It upholds one's faith in humanity. Thank you!

W.
Sorry - late to this post but wanted to add my 2 cents: Congratulations, you have much to be proud in how you dealt with the situation and follow through. I also agree letting go is hard but needed. I have found for me resentments were the bricks of evil that when built high enough toppled with a vengeance. I now let them go one brick/situation at a time.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

jdooner said in part :" I have found for me resentments were the bricks of evil that when built high enough toppled with a vengeance. I now let them go one brick/situation at a time."

How true. This reminds me of Edgar Allen Poe's famous story, "The Cask of Amontillado" where a fiendish man took his enemy down to the wine cellar and bricked him up brick by brick in a small enclosure, leaving him there to die. So it is possible for a person to brick him/her self in by gathered resentments, called in transactional psychology, "collecting brown stamps". Alcohol itself may have the same effect. Gradually closing in a person from the outside world, the room getting smaller and smaller until one is left, alone, drinking, growing steadily more ill, drinking only to feel "normal" but gradually realizing that "normal" may no longer be possible.

W.