Notices

Dealing with my brother and mom

Old 11-29-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with my brother and mom

This is my first post, i am 49 yrs old happily married woman trying to deal with my anger towards my brother and mother, i need help with talking or a book something to help my anger.My 46 yr olds brothers last relapse that i know of happened a year ago, he broke into my best friends home.I begged my friend not to call the cops and my brother begged and cried not to tell his wife,son or mother mind you he has been on meth and shooting it for 20 yrs or more. My family and mother know some of his past but think he has been clean and sober for 8 yrs! Which he has not, im angry bc i feel i am guilty and enabled him and am angry at myself but my brother is so manipulative he turns it around and blames me and says if i say something and tell mom than its my fault and it will kill our mother if she knows!!!
Old 11-29-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, welcome to the Forum, there is a family/friends section that may be helpful to check out.

From experience, my dad was an alcoholic and I went to some Al-Anon groups as I was growing up, the only principle I can remember is not to protect the alcoholic!! . . . in other words protecting your brother and not letting him face up to his addiction is not helping him, yes the consequences will be difficult, I'm not saying it will be easy.

There are probably others that have more experience and have better advice, but just wanted to share what I know.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Brother/mother

Thank you so much! I thought i was on the family thread I am not the greatest with tech things.Thanks for replying and hearing methanks
Old 11-29-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

And, 'Co-Dependent No More' by Melody Beattie is a great book.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've come to a very supportive place. You are among friends here.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wink thanks

Thank you for the book recommendations just ordered on Amazon..Feeling better that I will get help on my anger issues towards my mother and brother