Notices

The term "Functional Alcoholic"

Old 11-20-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
LDT

"Functioning Alcoholic".....translation...."It's only a matter of time".
Old 11-20-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I told myself this for years.
"I drink at home, the end of the day, after kids are fed and gone to bed. This is me time, I'm not hurting anyone. I just need to relax"
Well I was hurting ME. I was hurting my husband and my marriage. I can't get those evenings back. But I look forward to many great ones in the future!
Old 11-20-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

functional is another term for "alive"

high bottom, low bottom....what's your choice?
Old 11-20-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by digdug View Post
To me, functional alcoholic is just a phase. The progressive nature of this disease means that the continuation of drinking will always eventually lead the alcoholic to a non-functional state. It's inevitable.
Agreed at least that's how it went for me. An alcoholic is an alcoholic functional or not. I used to tell myself I was a functional alcoholic because I could work and pay bills while I drank. Eventually I was doing nothing except for getting drunk.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

The other day someone stated it as: function alcoholic = an alcoholic who still has a job
Old 11-20-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Isn't every alcoholic functional ( at least superficially ) in the beginning of their journey? A lot of us we're completely normal if not studied in any depth. "Functional" to me can mean pretty much "just getting by," in some areas of life.
living a full life in all major areas is more than "functional," IMO.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

There is no such thing!! This disease escalates and eventually it will bite you in the arrsss.. I was a very functional alcoholic "COUCH", never got a DUI and always had a job.. I don't believe that for a minute, I think I was just a lucky alcoholic that didn't kill someone or myself when I was driving drunk which was happening all the time. Now when I think about it I can't believe the stupidity.. It gives me this feeling in the pit of my stomach and makes me so grateful for being sober today and not have ruined anyone's life ..
Old 11-20-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I see functional alcoholic not as "I'm doing fine" or "I'm different" but as "I am keeping up the facade, right now" or "I am maintaining the lie, for now." I was functional enough that no one will believe me that I'm a drunk, but I am one. I had not lost anything significant in my life yet. I think it's a phase of addiction. It also aids in denial. It was easier for me to think there was no problem because I was still high achieving. Once my liver started aching though, I knew it was real. And I have no doubts that it was progressing.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I agree with the other posters. I am "functional" (i.e. I still have a job), but I started feeling that I was getting less "functional" every day. I have to quit. Day 3.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I think functional means more how have you maintained societal expectations - ie, job, relationships, bills, family, no catastrophic accidents or incidents, etc.