Notices

The term "Functional Alcoholic"

Old 11-20-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

The term "Functional Alcoholic"

The term functional alcoholic has been increasingly bothering me. It seems to typically be used as a "maybe, not really" type of excuse. However, would we term a drunk driver who makes it home without a wreck a "functional drunk driver"?

I only mention this because I used to use the idea of a functional alcoholic as a cheap excuse to buy extra time to continue drinking. Now, I do not believe it exists.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow. I do not believe in the phrase " functional alcoholic". I don't think of it as an excuse.

I've heard people use the phrase that they are a "functional alcoholic" because they can go to work, never lost a job, no DUIs, no law trouble, still have their house, car, marriage, kids, etc. whatever. Take that liquor away from them, see how functional you are. Nope can buy into that.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Funcional Alcoholism, Slips, Relapses, Moderation, Excuses, Setbacks, ( which ones am I forgetting )?

Really doesn't matter what you call it -it's drinking. And if you are an alcoholic you cannot drink. I'm glad you've come to terms with your drinking and found a way to stay sober.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
To me, functional alcoholic is just a phase. The progressive nature of this disease means that the continuation of drinking will always eventually lead the alcoholic to a non-functional state. It's inevitable.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I disagree.
To me "functional alcoholic" means that somebody with addiction to alcohol was able to still function in society,at work and at home despite.
I don't see it as a crutch in any way! Eventually the "functioning alcoholic" realizes that the functioning part get harder and harder as time goes by.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Even a "functional alcoholic" is not functional when drunk or hung over.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Resolute50 - functional right up until the time you pull the booze away. Then you're a quivering, sweaty mess like the rest of us.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Being a functional alcoholic means you can't read the dys prefix until you recover and improve your vision with hindsight .

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-20-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by digdug View Post
To me, functional alcoholic is just a phase. The progressive nature of this disease means that the continuation of drinking will always eventually lead the alcoholic to a non-functional state. It's inevitable.
True Dat!

I used that term many times over the last 26 years and is one of the reasons I continued to fool myself for so long and not get help.

As someone else posted..."a sewer line is functional, but it is still full of crap"...LOL
Old 11-20-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Resolute50 - functional right up until the time you pull the booze away. Then you're a quivering, sweaty mess like the rest of us.
True raider,

But,most folks that use the term mean that in spite of being an alcoholic,they still functioned.

Not,after they've quite and experienced how addicted they are to alcohol.

There's plenty of other reasons the AV uses other than "I'm still functioning".

I would put it in the same category as "dry drunk".
Words that people will use when they are "holier than thou".
Old 11-20-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't know. I was never a functional alcoholic when I was drinking. I had a great job, my own place and plenty of money. But at the end of the day, I was drunk. Plain and simple.
Sober I can function. Before that drinking was my life. So I have no comprehension of what a functioal alcoholic may be.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I do not like that term either, it opens too many doors for denial. I think of myself instead as having been a closet drinker or a secret drinker.
Even though I did not get in any trouble and no one knew, I do not see slamming booze alone until you pass out and planning your suicide as being very "functional".
I am an alcoholic, my relationship therefore my relationship with alcohol is dysfunctional.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So,what would a non-functioning alcoholic be?

Non-functioning alcoholic= 6 ft. under

Btw,I've never used the term to describe myself or anybody else.
It's just interesting how differently everybody thinks of the use of it.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The longer I am sober the level of unfuctionality just keeps growing because I have something compare it to. There have been many a functional alcoholic that were functional right up to the time they died of alcoholism
Old 11-20-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by resolute50 View Post
So,what would a non-functioning alcoholic be?

Non-functioning alcoholic= 6 ft. under

Btw,I've never used the term to describe myself or anybody else.
It's just interesting how differently everybody thinks of the use of it.
It's merely a semantics argument. It's impossible to clearly define the term. What's most important is that if you are an alcoholic or a problem drinker, you come to terms with it and find a way to get sober and live a sober life. What you call it is really kind of irrelevant.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't see it as an excuse, rather I see it as a way for the person to mentally put them self a step above the stereotypical, falling down drunk we see on TV.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm guessing that I was a dysfunctional alcoholic.

Zube
Old 11-20-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leana View Post
I don't see it as an excuse, rather I see it as a way for the person to mentally put them self a step above the stereotypical, falling down drunk we see on TV.
Probably so. Well yeah but at least I don't....

I viewed myself as that for years, it obviously gets less functional over time.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yep, it means nothing. Certainly nothing helpful. I used it A LOT when I was drinking although I don't think I ever used the word "alcoholic" with it until I finally faced up to it. More like, "I'm a regular drinker but I am still perfectly functional!"

Yeah, right. Another form of denial and, as others have said, another way to try to distance yourself from the "other," "worse-than-you-are-for-sure" alcoholics.

Eventually, it all falls away anyway. And you are simply an alcoholic or you're not. No need for any further clarification other than that.

Me? I'm an alcoholic.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

In practicality I believe it speaks to how well you have hidden the problem from various others, including yourself. I think that distinction can be helpful for drawing comparisons when trying to help others, but it is by no means a hugely useful term overall.