Notices

Caffeine

Old 11-05-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
Is anyone else thinking about quitting caffeine? I'm very addicted and need to stop drinking coffee. I made myself kind of sick with coffee today and now that I have space from alcohol and am so recovery focused I can see that this isn't good for me either. I think it may actually be harder for me than quitting alcohol. I'd love it if anyone else wants to jump in and maybe have a support thread.
No,

I have no problem drinking coffee in moderation. I roast my own beans, French press, thank you God.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I have not read all the responses, but think I replied int he September thread. I weaned off of it by mixing decaf into my pot of coffee until it was all decaf. Over a few weeks.

I do still drink decaf.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I'm going to have to taper. There is just no way I can do this cold turkey. Just got half decaf half regular.

From this point out I say we just ignore posts that only say they love coffee or sugar or complain that we are criticizing coffee drinkers and we go on with our mission. I think it's pretty clear what this thread is about so no need for flaming, etc. onward and upward.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Coffee increases blood pressure so not good if one suffers from high blood pressure. I drink only tea now. And just drink tea without caffeine. Green tea and camille tea. To me it is just as enjoyable. Just drinking something warm is nice and it is healing for the stomach.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
I'm going to have to taper. There is just no way I can do this cold turkey. Just got half decaf half regular.

From this point out I say we just ignore posts that only say they love coffee or sugar or complain that we are criticizing coffee drinkers and we go on with our mission. I think it's pretty clear what this thread is about so no need for flaming, etc. onward and upward.

Same here. Woke up this morning, had a cup of tea...somewhat hit the spot but the headache started coming on strong around noon. Went and bought some Folgers "1/2 caf" made a small cup, now I feel ok.

No energy drinks or energy shots today which is VERY good for me considering I would have at least a couple a day.

My plan is to stick to 1 cup or 2 of half caffeinated coffee in the mornings for the rest of the week and attempt to cut it out entirely by Monday. It will be tough I presume (mentally) as well because like most things...I use caffeine as a crutch and just end to go entirely overboard.

Good to know others are trying as well!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Weaver, I think I'm going to follow the same plan!
Old 11-05-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

When I first tried getting sober (30 days) I was knocking back rockstars and red bulls all day. I was so used to drinking beer so quickly that I kind of transferred it to energy drinks, I would drink three or four tall rockstars a day sometimes and felt horrible like my stomach was bleeding at the end of the night and couldn't sleep. Made me real anxious and jumpy and irritable too. My sobriety during that time wasn't even real sobriety now that I look back as I just transferred my addiction to something else, something perhaps just as bad for my mental and physical health as the beer.. I ended up relapsing as a result to calm my nerves, so I told myself, but ended up falling into binge drinking again. So yeah, pretty bleak ending to that story but that's just me. I'm starting over again now but not touching coffee or energy drinks period. Try yerba mate or green tea they are much milder on your body and so much better for you
Old 11-05-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

When I quit caffeine, I tried cold-turkey at first, but the withdrawal symptoms by the end of the first day made me give that up. So, take two I went for one cup of coffee per day for a week and then cut it out entirely.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hey Renarde

I drank 5 - 6 + coffees a day plus 2 - 3 coke zero or diet cokes. Made me a bit up and down on moods sometimes and irritated my stomach. I have never seen it as a real problem compared to some of my previous lifestyle traits and sort of viewed it as one last vice I can hold on to. Particularly whilst maintaining sobriety being the number one goal.

Has become an issue now in a couple of ways I wont go in to. You can PM me if you like.

I am 6 days in to cold turkey and it was quite difficult the first couple but doing OK now. I have no coffee, the odd decaf or hot chocolate and one coke zero per day.

Was initially real bad in mood, queasy stomach, feeling weird in my head and vicious head aches. Certainly subsided and levelled out a bit now.

Just be aware I have had some alcohol cravings possibly the body wanting a substitute for the lack of caffeine and sugar or to cure the headaches. I have been real good in my head and my sobriety so it was a bit of a shock.

Also of note I always had two sugars in my coffee. That adds up.

Best of luck
Old 11-05-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

When you first quit drinking you can have the subliminal anxiety goig on for quite a while. Insomnia, racing thoughts, hypervigilance, sense of impending doom, restlessness, depression and all that stuff can linger in varying degrees. I had some semblance of those things hang around for almost a year. Any stimulants will make those things worse. The advantage of caffeine is that it has a short half life, it doesn't linger in your body forever and a day. Some seem to hate that "wired" feeling and others like it. When you need to be active it's good, when your trying to relax or sleep it can be a real bummer.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Been feeling awful past two days (headache and fatigue). Just realize it was because I went cold turkey off caffeine and switched to decaf two days ago. I had no idea that I was not just mentally addicted to coffee . Ugh, having a caffeinated coffee now and going to try the taper method. Good luck all .
Old 11-07-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I'm over thirteen months sober from alcohol and just last week I decided caffeine had to go. For me I'm glad I waited to quit caffeine so long after alcohol because caffeine is tough to quit. I've read that 90% of the population consumes caffeine. I'd like to be in the minority. So far so good but I have problems sleeping and still have headaches. I never realized how much caffeine I was drinking. Early stages for me but I've quit alcohol so this shouldn't be as hard.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Love that avatar Red Viper!

How's the caffeine reduction plan going Renarde?
Old 11-07-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Ok I have been doing...decent. I had my normal two cups of 1/2 caf coffee this morning, however I had a latte late this evening as I was out shopping with the wife. I only drank half and gave the rest to her has I started feeling jittery. No energy drinks or energy shots though!

Going to try and keep the two cups in the morning going until monday, at which time I will (hopefully) be done with caffeine for good.

Any non caffeine drinks have any suggestions on drinks? I tend to sip on diet soft drinks during the day so any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Weaver, pure water can be a surprisingly nice drink. But if you're looking for some flavor- they make herbal teas in all kinds of flavors (I drink a TON of tea these days). Juice is good (although fruit juice has a lot of sugar in it, so I wouldn't recommend drinking more than one or two cups a day). Milk is another option.

You're doing great, keep it up!!

Countingdays- when I tried to go cold-turkey on the caffeine, it whipped my butt. I had to go for a cup a day for a week and then cut it out entirely.

Keep focused on the goal and you'll all get there!!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChrissieB View Post
Hi Renarde, gave up caffeine about 1 and a half years ago, always had puffy eyes in the morning and always blamed the booze but it never went away when I gave up drink!
Read a book once that caffeine caused puffiness around eyes, gave it up immediately and overnight the puffiness went yay!! Did have some headaches for a couple of days but will never regret it.
Over 3 weeks off drink but found myself od'ing on sugar Nooooo! Going cold turkey from this morning, have a headache at the moment but I know it will pass, so Olive1 and anyone else I am happy to be there with you on the sugar free train, also poured my sugar free fizzy drinks down the sink as the artificial sweetener definitely created cravings, in fact I believe the sugar may have in the past have had some bearing on my starting drinking again the the past.
One day at a time Sweet Jesus.
That's interesting! I actually thought they use caffeine in under eye concealer make up!!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Caffeine is the only drug that keeps me going. I can give up alcohol, smoking, pain meds but caffeine is going to stay.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck with the quitting guys

I know this is a public forum...but when someone here wants to give up something and asks for support, I don't think it's too unreasonable that they get it.

I haven't seen anyone here deriding coffee, or attacking those who drink it - just simple personal individual decisions to give it up.

Let's be cool

D
Old 11-07-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hey guys. I really appreciate everyone who has given messages of encouragement and of course Dee, thank you so much.

I am not having as much success as I wanted. I was hoping I would be off of it by now, but that isn't the case. However I am drinking one cup instead of a whole pot, and I think that is some progress. I did have some withdrawal headaches yesterday that were no fun. I am feeling kind if depressed about it and wondering what my problem is. How could I have quit alcohol for 70 days and not be able to just stop this? It baffles me.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

addictions are funny things - I struggled with alcohol for decades but something like smoking I gave up without a backwards glance.

D