Notices

Caffeine

Old 11-04-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Caffeine

Is anyone else thinking about quitting caffeine? I'm very addicted and need to stop drinking coffee. I made myself kind of sick with coffee today and now that I have space from alcohol and am so recovery focused I can see that this isn't good for me either. I think it may actually be harder for me than quitting alcohol. I'd love it if anyone else wants to jump in and maybe have a support thread.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm caffeine dependent. I don't have a desire to quit though. I love coffee, and my morning cup of Java is something I cherish. I don't consider being physically dependent on caffeine to be an "addiction". I won't be arrested for a DUI due to caffeine. I won't lose my job because of caffeine. I won't steal money or rob someone in order to satisfy my caffeine fix. Caffeine doesn't cause me to do crazy and dangerous things I would never normally do. And finally, it's my opinion (and the opinion of many experts) that using caffeine will not harm me physically in any way.

Still, there are days when I do overdue the coffee, and I have tried to keep my consumption reasonable.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
Is anyone else thinking about quitting caffeine? I'm very addicted and need to stop drinking coffee. I made myself kind of sick with coffee today and now that I have space from alcohol and am so recovery focused I can see that this isn't good for me either. I think it may actually be harder for me than quitting alcohol. I'd love it if anyone else wants to jump in and maybe have a support thread.
I am kind of in the same boat as you. I have thought about quitting many times, especially now that I have been sober from alcohol (short time) I have a very addictive personality so I tend to overdo a lot of things that are not normally "harmful" Caffeine is one of them. I drink loads of coffee, energy drinks, energy shots...etc. I tend to crash, get jittery while consuming yet I continue to drink caffeine in staggering amounts!

Personally, I want to eventually be free from caffeine as well (just me personally) I feel it is another "addiction" that I feed into, and I do not like that feeling. It is hard though. Another poster recently did a pretty lengthy thread about her "quitting" caffeine, I believe he/she? did a tapering method. I am thinking about starting this tomorrow.

I guess we will see! Just wanted to let ya know I can totally relate!

Good luck
Old 11-04-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
I don't consider being physically dependent on caffeine to be an "addiction". I won't be arrested for a DUI due to caffeine. I won't lose my job because of caffeine. I won't steal money or rob someone in order to satisfy my caffeine fix. Caffeine doesn't cause me to do crazy and dangerous things I would never normally do. And finally, it's my opinion (and the opinion of many experts) that using caffeine will not harm me physically in any way. Still, there are days when I do overdue the coffee, and I have tried to keep my consumption reasonable.
It may not ruin my life, but it is still a stimulant and I feel like it's unhealthy for me, so I want to try quitting.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
I am kind of in the same boat as you. I have thought about quitting many times, especially now that I have been sober from alcohol (short time) I have a very addictive personality so I tend to overdo a lot of things that are not normally "harmful" Caffeine is one of them. I drink loads of coffee, energy drinks, energy shots...etc. I tend to crash, get jittery while consuming yet I continue to drink caffeine in staggering amounts! Personally, I want to eventually be free from caffeine as well (just me personally) I feel it is another "addiction" that I feed into, and I do not like that feeling. It is hard though. Another poster recently did a pretty lengthy thread about her "quitting" caffeine, I believe he/she? did a tapering method. I am thinking about starting this tomorrow. I guess we will see! Just wanted to let ya know I can totally relate! Good luck
I really relate to that. I want to be as free from substances as possible. I feel like my attachment to coffee is keeping me dehydrated as I just drink coffee some days until like 2 pm. Also I don't want an emotional attachment to substance/food based rituals. I'm wondering if I should do cold turkey or taper. I am sick right now so I might as well feel bad when I feel bad already...
Old 11-04-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
I really relate to that. I want to be as free from substances as possible. I feel like my attachment to coffee is keeping me dehydrated as I just drink coffee some days until like 2 pm. Also I don't want an emotional attachment to substance/food based rituals. I'm wondering if I should do cold turkey or taper. I am sick right now so I might as well feel bad when I feel bad already...

Exactly. Also, want to make clear that I am in NO way judging anyone for drinking coffee lol! But for me personally, just my personality I WAY overdue it. So it is something I want to stop entirely. This will be difficult though because as I stated above, I drink lots of coffee, diet soda, red bull, etc....but I know it can be done

I have heard the headaches can be pretty severe, which is why I am thinking of a "tapering" method. I have heard, however, after a few weeks your body does indeed adjust and you feel much much better! Natural energy! Which sounds really awesome. I am also starting to incorporate exercise which I must admit gives me A LOT of (mental) energy, especially when I am finished with a run or walk. Just very refreshing.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
I'm caffeine dependent. I don't have a desire to quit though. I love coffee, and my morning cup of Java is something I cherish. I don't consider being physically dependent on caffeine to be an "addiction". I won't be arrested for a DUI due to caffeine. I won't lose my job because of caffeine. I won't steal money or rob someone in order to satisfy my caffeine fix. Caffeine doesn't cause me to do crazy and dangerous things I would never normally do. And finally, it's my opinion (and the opinion of many experts) that using caffeine will not harm me physically in any way. Still, there are days when I do overdue the coffee, and I have tried to keep my consumption reasonable.
I completely agree Feenixx, giving up coffee is a non-starter for me. One of life's simple pleasures is that cup of coffee in the morning and I don't believe it's harmful.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am 70 days sober and I frequently use coffee as a crutch to help me grind through my alcohol cravings. I drink 3-5 cups per day. I am sure I would be slightly healthier without the coffee, but I am nowhere near ready to quit.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

While working on benzos and alcohol ( now life time project) I think I won't be worrying too much about coffee. Only 2 or 3 cups daily as a rule.
Also, I use herbal drinks at times as replacements.
I believe de/caf has been linked with some cancers.....not sure?
Old 11-04-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I find that too much caffeine ( even more than a couple cups of coffee ) really aggravates my anxiety now that I'm sober. I guess I must have just been so used to being drunk and hung over that I didn't notice it when I was drinking.

I fill my mug up in the lunch room with 1/2 regular and 1/2 decaf and that's it for me for the day.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I only have two cups a day in the morning and I don't feel like giving it up.
But I do really, really, really need to quit sugar. (as I open yet another fun size snickers bar.)
Old 11-04-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I quit about 2 months ago. You can read about my journey here if you'd like: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-caffeine.html. (I think it may be the thread Weaver was referring to above.)

The first month I didn't feel quite myself and was quite tired, but the second month I've felt fine. Plus, drinking too much coffee used to make me a bit anxious at times and that is all gone.

I can relate to what has been said here about wanting to be free from all addictions and also with overdoing the caffeine.

Way to go on your decision to quit.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Caffeine has ergogenic properties and it suppresses appetite (useful things). I have no plans to cut out caffeine.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Please, let's support the OP or just not post on this thread

Just a thought- the OP is looking for support in quitting caffeine and seems to have valid reasons for doing so. While I think it's fine for others to have no interest in giving up their beloved beverages, perhaps this isn't the thread to tout the benefits of caffeine or talk about how much one loves their morning coffee?

Caffeine is a problem for the OP. For others it's not. But just think how you would feel starting a thread about needing to quit alcohol if it's a problem for you and having people post about how a glass of wine a day has been shown to have certain benefits or about how there is no way they want to give up their beloved beer?
Old 11-04-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Yes I have cut it out. I have found now that I don't drink I have to be careful with stimulants. I was drinking coffee all day to cut through the depression. I added one cup in the morning but from then on I drink decaf or tea.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've given up caffeine a number of times over the years...for almost 7 months at one point. Here are the positives of quitting for me:

Sleep better, deeper
Weight loss (coffee actually makes me crave carbs)
More energy (after the first few days of headaches)
Less anxiety/OCD

Why do I go back to it repeatedly? I like the buzz pure and simple.

If you want, I'll go cold turkey with you and other interested parties on this site. I've honestly been thinking of doing this for a while now and could use the support
Old 11-04-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DG0409 View Post
Just a thought- the OP is looking for support in quitting caffeine and seems to have valid reasons for doing so. While I think it's fine for others to have no interest in giving up their beloved beverages, perhaps this isn't the thread to tout the benefits of caffeine or talk about how much one loves their morning coffee?

Caffeine is a problem for the OP. For others it's not. But just think how you would feel starting a thread about needing to quit alcohol if it's a problem for you and having people post about how a glass of wine a day has been shown to have certain benefits or about how there is no way they want to give up their beloved beer?
It's a forum. People occasionally have diverse viewpoints. That's mostly a good thing as long as discourse is civil and respectful. Further, the original post asked a question; all I did was answer that question. If my answer was objectionable to the original poster, he/she can ignore my post.

Forum has mods already, don't need self-appointed mods playing forum cop.

Good day.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was hoping I could join the thread and insert 'sugar' in place of 'caffeine'. I am ready to give up candy.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I used to be a caffeine fiend.
Now I have 1 small cup in the morning and that's it... most days but not everyday, and when i'm having bad insomnia I don't touch the stuff, sometimes for weeks.

Its a drug at the end of the day.

I know some people say they use caffeine to help alcohol cravings, but I use herbal tea (caffeine free) combined with fresh vegetable or fruit juice... plenty of energy and better sleep.

Good luck Renarde and anyone else who is going to quit/reduce intake.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

When I quit over 3 months ago drinking alkohol I also shortly afterwards quit coffee. I have no problem drinking tea instead. I drink green tea and camille tea. Just drinking something warm is nice and good for the stomach. Tea also helps falling a sleep if it is tea without caffeine.