Notices

hi

Old 10-09-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was very far gone - had been drinking all my life & was drinking all day when I quit. I had to stop or die. I should have gone to rehab, but it wasn't an option for me at the time. Seeing your doctor is a good idea. I stayed close to SR and read some good books on the subject. I think AA would be a good thing to check out.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by missnewby View Post
Thanks...how did you get sober? On your own or did you have to take classes/rehab?
I got sober with the help of my addiction counselor and the good people here at SR.

I used to want to moderately drink, but am having such a good time living sober I have no desire to drink at all.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I chased the idea of moderate drinking for a long time. I wish I hadn't. It left me frustrated at myself, angry, depressed, and a much heavier drinker each time I did decide to drink.

Moderation is the primary obsession of every alcoholic. We think, "If only I could stop at one or two drinks like other people, I'd be fine."

The problem with this is that the very first drink is the issue. Once one drink passes our lips, all bets are off. You just said that you had a couple of drinks earlier, and you are already considering more. The first drink obliterates our defenses.

We are all here fighting this allergy of the body and obsession of the mind. Will you join us?
Old 10-09-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You are so right. Once you have one drink, you want the 2nd, 3rd....then you just tell yourself it's ok. I'm always making "deals" with myself, just fooling myself.

And to be honest, I did get a couple more drinks already since earlier. And to do what? Sit on the computer? I have my family but choosing to chat online, with a couple drinks about my drinking problem? Doesn't add up. But I do at least feel happy that I'm on here....and thinking about making myself better. That hasn't been done before. Just need to make the plunge.

I'm kind of introverted, part of the reason I drink I think, gives me confidence.

Alcohol is a overwhelming drug. Takes control....fast.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

What does the doctor do you for you?
Old 10-09-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

When I drank I destroyed my spirit. I cannot moderate. If you want to stop, you are in a good place. I quit drinking here. I am grateful.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Don't you worry about a thing. When the time is right for you to quit, you will. I've done it multiple times.... I'm actually quite good about making the decision to quit and getting through the first day. It's the 2nd, 3rd, 4th day that I have trouble with. I'm only on day 2 right now.... Ha!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Missnewby! Ohhhh, you sound exactly like me 6 years ago. I had only been drinking steadily for two years, and rarely drank before that. I thought that I couldn't be an alcoholic because of the stories of other alcoholics, my lack of legal or financial troubles, and ability to function normally. Nobody guessed that I drank so much because it was only at night, every night. I enjoyed it and thought, hey, maybe I can go back to just drinking in moderation. Slow down. No dice. I went into detox for 8 days, got out and felt great. A few months later I thought I could be a social drinker again. And I was... for a few months. But before I knew it, WHAM! Back to my old ways. Last August I detoxed again and managed to stay sober another 9 months. Thought if I just drank wine on occasion, I would be fine. Swore I'd never touch vodka again. Wrong! Back to that, 5 days before my 1 year anniversary. Today I decided enough is enough. If you can't take it or leave it, so to speak, then you need to consider walking away forever. Otherwise, it just gets worse. But you have to really want it. Deep down. For me, this site is a great inspiration. AA helps too. And you're taking the first step by looking into it, so there's something somewhere inside that knows you want sobriety too. You can do this! Just don't give up.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

refreshing to hear! I feel like such the alchy on this website so far! but of course want the best for you....and me. stay in touch.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Girly, you are soooo not alone. Plenty of us on here that are either still drinking or so new. I'm an introvert too, stayed home, stayed on my room and drank while the family did their own thing. You will eventually get sick of being annoyed with yourself in the morning...lol :-)
Old 10-09-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

thanks, that's encouraging. it's such a struggle. I feel like i'm drowning sometimes in my own home! i'm already annoyed with myself! hopefully can take action. it's nice to "talk" to everyone here. thanks for taking the time to respond to me.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Absolutely. It helps me too, gives me strength to stay sober wanting to support other people, especially when I feel like I can relate. It really is a struggle. I don't know about you, but I have had so many conversations... ok, arguments, in my head about what I want. Yeah, I wanna stop, nah, it's not that bad, not hurting anyone, I like the feeling... etc... etc... etc... Sucks. And you know the hardest part? I couldn't imagine never drinking again. I almost panicked thinking that way. Does this stuff go through your head?