Notices

Addicted to SR???

Old 10-01-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addicted to SR???

I am started to think I am addicted to being here. (kidding, kind of?!?) Did this happen to any of you when you found SR and started considering sobriety?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I can quit any time I want to.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I found this site when I was 5 months sober but I do come here almost everyday since then. I think I would have used this site alot if I would have found it when I first tried to sober up.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It feels good to find a place where people understand what you are dealing with and going through. You'll find a lot of support here, if you are serious about living a sober life.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I first came here I spent even more time here than I do now

Seriously, if being here and being part of the community is helping, great

If it's stopping you from doing things you need to do in real life, then yeah...it might be time for a step back and see

D
Old 10-01-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep, DoubleD, it happened to me.....

In the first couple of months of sobriety, I was reading this site constantly. It's tapered off by now, but that's just because I'm forcing myself to get more involved with my family in my spare time. I was soo happy and relieved to find others with similar stories as mine, and to learn from a variety of experiences here.

Everyone is so raw and honestly open here. You just know that you're hearing from real people, struggling with the same issues. So much help and encouragement!

I kinda look at it like my own rehab, so the time I spent on SR in the early days was very informative, supportive and necessary for my well-being....

I'm hooked! I hope you find a lot of what you need for your own journey.
Best wishes!

~Heartfan
Old 10-01-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

I try to peek sometimes @ work. My boss says to me what is it , your always on that phone ? I have to wait for lunch now . Yea , I'm an SR addict

Tr
Old 10-01-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It doesn't help that I have the SR phone app.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am laughing because everyone piled onto this thread!! I definitely have noticed that but I know myself and I tend to immerse myself in anything that fascinates me. And I do feel like it has added so much to my recovery.

Besides, I'm a Gemini, it would be a compliment to me if anyone ever told me I was too focused on one thing!
Old 10-01-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think we should get cool SR bumper stickers......
Old 10-01-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

And those bumper stickers would say.....

MEE MAW
Old 10-01-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

jaynie04, you really seem focused on this one thing

I would say I'm pretty hooked myself. Joining here was the best thing I did in my first week of recovery. I have been here daily in the weeks since!
Old 10-01-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I can think of a lot worse things to be addicted to

In the beginning I needed this place daily. It was my solace and my retreat. I loved being able to be with people who completely identified with where my head was at.

As it goes by and I find my sobriety legs I don't need to post as much and I try to be helpful when I can.

.......... still, I have to come here every day so I guess that's some sort of an addiction. Not a bad one though. As Dee said, if it's interfering with you doing things in real life then it might be an issue. I've been known now on Saturday and Sunday mornings to give myself a time limit. With coffee in hand I could sit here for hours.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
and those bumper stickers would say.....

Mee maw
lmao!
Old 10-01-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I use daily.

I am also in AA which has been fundamental to my sobriety but so has SR. Both are critical to me for similar as well as different reasons. However, I have found true and good friends both places and that is a huge part of what keeps me sober AND sane.

So, yeah, it's an addiction that I prefer to keep
Old 10-01-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Might as well face it, your addicted to recov.

Tee hee, Alphas funny.

Ba dump bump.

Stick around folks, I'll be here all week (yuk yuk)
Old 10-01-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was already sober for over four years when I joined. In early recovery, I was always at meetings. I found them so helpful. But as time went by, my life got busier and it became harder to get to meetings. SR is like a really good meeting, anytime. I check in every day now.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

While I dont post all that much anymore, this site was all that got me through the first week. Literally alternated crying with hopelessness and reading here for an entire week. I have found that I have gotten much more involved in living life and don't need to come here as much but I definitely can understand those that are here all the time. I go through bouts of posting/visiting a great deal and periods of not so often. Such a great resource to have either way!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Okay, thanks all. I just wasn't wanting to complicate my life with another addiction . . . .
Old 10-01-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I actually had an SR dream a couple weeks ago. I was looking at the boards, but they were huge, like walls. I was looking at them and talking, but it was like telepathy...just thinking, but the avatars understood me. The avatars would pop out of the message board walls and talk back to me.

When I come home after work (in real life), I get on SR to read a bit, and then stay logged in until I go to bed. During this time I might be cooking or eating or doing whatever, but I like to have my laptop up with SR in the background.

Okay, a confession that might show how addicted I am, but this is as good a thread as any to admit it. I recently daydreamed about what it would be like to have a real-life SR convention. Where would it be? Who would be the speakers? Would we break out into rooms for different topics...kind of like real-life threads? Would we wear nametags with our user names or real names? Yes, I thought that.