Notices

How many days after stop drinking...

Old 09-18-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How many days after stop drinking...

Did you start to feel "normal" again? Does the cravings ever go away?
Old 09-18-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

After about a week your major detox should be over - certainly by the ten day mark. So my doc told me... You will probably still crave drink mentally for some time - although there is medication that can help ease the cravings. As for 'normal' what even is that lol I don't know the answer to that one.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am on day 43 and yes the cravings do go away after about a month but I wouldn't say I feel normal. I drank to numb myself for so long that I don't remember what "normal" is! I am living more of a "new normal" which is an entire new way of life but with the same people and job (with all the issues that made me want to drink) so it's kind of weird but I am living a clean, honest life and that makes me feel great!
Old 09-18-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

So much for me is habit. For decades I came home from work , cooked dinner while drinking and drank right on through until I passed out.

For the first month of sobriety, I didn't cook a single dinner. Then when I wanted to cook, I'd get up early in the morning to do it. I never drank in the morning (YET) so I could handle it.

Every weekend. Was spent drunk or hungover. Again, habit. For the first few I did anything to get me off the couch movies, walking, bowling, anything so I didn't have to sit and think bout wine.

Now I can't find enough hours in the weekend to get everything I want done done.

Old habits die hard, but it is absolutely doable.

Be well.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How long have you been sober? I found that eating sugary substances really, really helped with cravings!
Old 09-18-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had no idea what normal was. I had drank every day all of my adult life, that was my normal. This was a new life and I had no idea what to expect and I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised. Cravings...? I am not sure that anything goes away without some work on our part.

I understand your sentiment because I spent the better part of my sobriety wondering when I would start to feel better, but I only really started feeling better when I stopped thinking about it all the time and just worked on my sobriety. A watched pot and all that.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

I quit having cravings after day 3. Now I just have major detachment. I miss the act of drinking.

Dono
Old 09-18-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know from experience that the cravings do go away. I had 7 years of sobriety and more recently 5 years.
I am right back with you now however because I decided to pick up again. Even though I know from experience that they will I still want to know when.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sophia
I think it's different for everyone.

I think we have to remember - we drank for years - it may talk a little while and a little work, to finally feel normal and craving free.

Iwhat exactly are you doing for your recovery right now?

D
Old 09-19-2013, 01:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi thanks. I have just stop drinking 3 days ago, so now my bf is supporting me and I honestly have no clue what I do, I just keep telling myself I do not want to ruin my life, I want to be happy without drinks... I am fine, just crave something to eat all time. And try to keep my mind off when I can have wine again!
Old 09-19-2013, 01:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think many of us have to find a new 'normal'. If you are lucky it can be even better than the old one!
Old 09-19-2013, 02:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hypocritical View Post
I quit having cravings after day 3. Now I just have major detachment. I miss the act of drinking.

Dono
I'd agree with this - I find myself not knowing what to do at night - I just end up going to bed.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Often you need to change your evening routine, don't sit in the same chair, take the same route past the store you bought your alcohol, doing the same things but just without the drink, break the cycle otherwise it leads to triggers back into the wouldn't it be nice to have a drink thoughts... I don't think cravings ever go away, you learn to manage them, ignore them.

The best thing is to acknowledge them for what they are, thoughts, and watch them pass you by.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Eleni58 if u see this, hope u r ok! Can't post a message to your board?
Old 09-23-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Cravings for me go away very fast, within a week or so. Saying goodbye to the life, that was the hard part for me. Embracing the reality of being a sober person took some doing.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eleni58 View Post
How long have you been sober? I found that eating sugary substances really, really helped with cravings!
I agree with Eleni. Since I quit drinking I can't get enough ice cream and Nutella. That reminds me, I'm out of ice cream. Off to the store I go...
Old 09-23-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eleni58 View Post
Not for me, in fact just the opposite - sugar increases my cravings and if I start eating refined sugars I find it hard to stop due to the blood sugar roller coaster.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

There may be different types of cravings, in my opinion. There is the physical craving and then there is the mental craving. After my last adventure, I did not crave alcohol mentally or physically. I really destructed to a large degree. It was like one of the papers in Inspector Gadget when after reading the message it blows up. That was me, blowing up my life. Sorting through that crap was intense..... I had to rebuild from that episode. I only started to feel " Sane" after about five months sober. Things are looking a lot better over here almost 7 months in.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I started to feel a lot better/normal around 2 months. I still get really mad at things I shouldn't, but I'm working on it. Sometimes people gotta realize that "normal" might not be what it was. I have been drinking very heavy for almost 10 years now. I'm not the same person I was 10 years ago, so my new normal is what I am now... Make your new normal what you want I guess.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The cravings, urges, habit, and obsession seemed to drop off around day 17 for me. The first time I tried to quit I made it 30 days but they never dropped off. I think I'm really ready this time - I really mean it, and I've tried to take action to help my sobriety - and I noticed that they were gone around day 17 this time.