# 81 (permalink)  

Too bad they cheated lol.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

No penalty, sorry

Belicek's a cheater anyway, so..
Old 11-23-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Saturday aft. match up Wisconsin/Minnesota...always a good game with Paul Bunyan's axe riding on it. I don't miss Madison anymore.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wiscsober View Post
Saturday aft. match up Wisconsin/Minnesota...always a good game with Paul Bunyan's axe riding on it. I don't miss Madison anymore.
going to be a slaughter ON WISCONSIN
Old 11-23-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Old 11-23-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I don't know if this fits here, but figured I'd post it:

I have had a rather unhealthy relationship with Michigan football in the past. As in, losses get me down for an entire day and even days afterwards. I tend to correlate losses with my own life (Michigan football's fall from grace as a symbol for my own life). This probably sounds crazy to an average fan, but I do know there are other fans out there with unhealthy relationships to their teams (anyone read Fever Pitch?). I could write a novel on my unhealthy relationship with Michigan football...

With sobriety, I'm finding myself with a lot more serenity. When you are afflicted with alcoholism, and know that sobriety is of utmost importance, things like a football game tend to seem a tad more insignificant.

Sorry for my ramblings!
Old 11-23-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TomSawyer View Post

I have had a rather unhealthy relationship with Michigan football in the past. As in, losses get me down for an entire day and even days afterwards. I tend to correlate losses with my own life (Michigan football's fall from grace as a symbol for my own life). This probably sounds crazy to an average fan, but I do know there are other fans out there with unhealthy relationships to their teams (anyone read Fever Pitch?). I could write a novel on my unhealthy relationship with Michigan football...

With sobriety, I'm finding myself with a lot more serenity. When you are afflicted with alcoholism, and know that sobriety is of utmost importance, things like a football game tend to seem a tad more insignificant.

Sorry for my ramblings!
Yeah, I hear you on that one. I can identify pretty closely - except with me it used to be baseball, which is crazy because that's an almost daily occurrence. Add alcohol, and hundreds of dollars in sports gambling on one game, and I'd find myself going through agonizing lows and impossible highs, all while sitting alone on my couch. On a Wednesday.

I've found myself still enjoying sports, but it doesn't crush me anymore when my teams lose. Are you noticing the same thing? I always hated when people said "life's bigger than sports" because I felt they were putting down my passion and truly didn't understand the sport (which in some cases is true)...but now I realize there really is more to life.

Thanks for posting your story, it helped me remember my old unhealthy relationship with sports - I'm glad I was able to keep enjoying it as a hobby, while at the same time keeping it in perspective. Hope you are also getting there!
Old 11-23-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Re-Member

We only watch

games.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I still think like a Packer fan from the 70s/80s...now if the Packers fall behind "well that's it they're gonna lose." This whole area gets depressed. I'm not sure if it's true but I had a psych. doctor tell me that the majority of his Monday conversations are about the Packers losing.

It's odd in that the team is publicly owned so I think people have more feelings wrapped up in the team. Like the whole city and the rest of the state.

I'm going to a sober Packer party today...of course I want to...but I'm like what the hell they're going to lose anyhow...forgetting it really isn't about the game but sober fellowship.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Broncos vs. Patriots... temptation will be running high.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GillianChicago View Post
Broncos vs. Patriots... temptation will be running high.
It will be a great game! I'm looking forward to having a salmon filet with rice at kickoff. At halftime I will have a piece of strawberry cheesecake. In the 3rd quarter I will make some popcorn! In the 4th I will hopefully be able to start watching a new episode of Homeland if the game's out of hand....

There's nothing wrong with planning something "fun", just focus on something other than alcohol! Perhaps it might be a good idea for you to run to the grocery store and get something special to eat or snack on tonight! Guacamole and chips maybe?
Old 11-24-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Yeah my sober buddy called just now and he'll pick me up....the host is having sloppy joe...we'll bring some chips and soda....it was neat the host printed up flyers and invited all AA people to come....he's out in the country so it will be nice to get away from the city.

We have a 3rd string practice squad QB still so I would not be surprised if Vikings beat us (see there's the old me). Well we are at home so it would be pretty pathetic...
Old 11-24-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TomSawyer View Post

Sorry for my ramblings!
Are you in the Fire Brady camp?

And I know what you mean. I'm that way with the Spartans and the Lions. If the Lions somehow lost today at home to the Bucs, that would just ruin the rest of my day.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

How about that Vikes / Pack result, Wiscsober? Kinda like kissing your sister, eh? As a Vikings fan, it was depressing, and I'm sure Pack fans feel the same way. Weird game.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
How about that Vikes / Pack result, Wiscsober? Kinda like kissing your sister, eh? As a Vikings fan, it was depressing, and I'm sure Pack fans feel the same way. Weird game.
Terrible and frustrating....Our defense is horrendous....worse than the Vikings...the whole organization should be embarrassed.

Was at a sober party with a good 20 recovering people and no smoking. That was lots of fun, good food, great people...met old acquaintances....SOs and kids. Got out in the country.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
It will be a great game! I'm looking forward to having a salmon filet with rice at kickoff. At halftime I will have a piece of strawberry cheesecake. In the 3rd quarter I will make some popcorn! In the 4th I will hopefully be able to start watching a new episode of Homeland if the game's out of hand....

There's nothing wrong with planning something "fun", just focus on something other than alcohol! Perhaps it might be a good idea for you to run to the grocery store and get something special to eat or snack on tonight! Guacamole and chips maybe?
Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun tonight! I have tons of leftovers so I'm pretty sure I'll be right there with ya consuming lots of yummy stuff throughout the game. No alcohol needed!

No cravings for me today at all... even while the whole family was drinking. I stuck to water.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:57 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpartanGreen View Post
Are you in the Fire Brady camp?

And I know what you mean. I'm that way with the Spartans and the Lions. If the Lions somehow lost today at home to the Bucs, that would just ruin the rest of my day.
Honestly, I would have been all over this mess a couple of years ago. When Carr left, the ensuing coaching search was like my number one concern in life. Now, I'm just trying to distance myself from the drama. Sobriety is my number one concern for now.

That said, I do tend to think Hoke should get another year. Borges, on the other hand...
Old 11-26-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Huge game this weekend for wisconsin. A win and they might get a BCS bowl game.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I missed the Patriots win due to food poisoning. What a great game though.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tangningsheng View Post
Huge game this weekend for wisconsin. A win and they might get a BCS bowl game.
Honestly, they should have already clinched one if not for that Arizona State debacle. I don't foresee Wisconsin having any trouble with the Gophers though.