Notices

Sobriety Tips For NFL

Old 09-05-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety Tips For NFL

Do you have any since the season started?

Mostly Super Bowls, tailgatings, and cookouts...I did have some good times...

Today a bit different.

1. I think watching games alone can be slippery....not accountable.
2. At a football party....have your own drink in one hand and food in the other.
3. Avoid salty food like chips...fill up on those brats!
4. Even now I don't go to taverns to watch games...I must admit I went to the Packers/Steelers Super Bowl but I was very well prepared.
5. Have your own ride home.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This year I'm going to treat myself to sugary sodas instead of beers. I never used to allow myself a Coke because of the extra calories I was already consuming through the beers. An ice cold Coke makes me feel like a happy kid again.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nothing like a big mug of coke on ice!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I go to a lot of the Michigan games, and have realized that avoiding the whole tailgating scene is pretty key for me in early recovery. But yeah, I'd like to learn how to enjoy the whole experience without needing a beer too.

Honestly, most of the time I get so drunk I don't even appreciate the actual game. I'm really looking forward to the Michigan-Notre Dame game Saturday and being fully sober to enjoy it.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TomSawyer View Post
I go to a lot of the Michigan games, and have realized that avoiding the whole tailgating scene is pretty key for me in early recovery. But yeah, I'd like to learn how to enjoy the whole experience without needing a beer too.

Honestly, most of the time I get so drunk I don't even appreciate the actual game. I'm really looking forward to the Michigan-Notre Dame game Saturday and being fully sober to enjoy it.
Are you going to the game! Best rivalry I think!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No going this week for me.

Going to watch with my brother (who ironically doesn't drink at all) and buy myself a nice coke or a root beer to enjoy while watching! And making chili to eat while watching. I think little things like that are good distractions.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just chillin' and watching the Broncos win!

I am staying clean and sober by watching the Denver Broncos on TV (yes, I am in Colorado) alone. I treated myself to some kinda healthy fast food, Wendy's grilled chicken on flatbread balanced out with some fries... drinking lots of water to counteract the sodium.
Watching the Broncos win while being clean and sober... amazing!!
I was zoned out on painpills for the last two seasons and had forgotten how exciting football is!
Well, the score is 35-17... hope we continue on to our first season win and some sweet revenge on the Ravens!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Go Packers!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1Dayatatyme View Post
I am staying clean and sober by watching the Denver Broncos on TV (yes, I am in Colorado) alone. I treated myself to some kinda healthy fast food, Wendy's grilled chicken on flatbread balanced out with some fries... drinking lots of water to counteract the sodium.
Watching the Broncos win while being clean and sober... amazing!!
I was zoned out on painpills for the last two seasons and had forgotten how exciting football is!
Well, the score is 35-17... hope we continue on to our first season win and some sweet revenge on the Ravens!
Good for you....I'm pulling for the Broncos...I've ended up listening to them on the radio...don't own a TV.....have a long day tomorrow picking up a car 3 miles north of here in the morning....was going to go to sleep early but what a great game hey?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eleni58 View Post
Go Packers!
Let Go....Let God....Lets Go PACKERS!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am staying clean and sober by watching the Den
Hope Badger Montee Ball pans out for you!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am staying clean and sober by watching the Denver Broncos on TV (yes, I am in Colorado)
Wow Denver demolition of Ravens
Old 09-06-2013, 12:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What you can do to have fun...even single...is to throw a football party...Alanon, AA, NA, plan a party at your house and invite a sponsor his/her wife, kids, invite people from meetings....you don't know what will come of it....

At least ten years ago a guy in our area just wanted to have a corn roast....it got bigger each year....finally it was turned into the major fundraiser for our AA area.

A simple picnic for an AAer who was dying from AIDS related illness has become the summer event to raise money for a recovery club house.

A party out in the country has become a major fishing tournament.

So.............
Old 10-06-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Boy did I post a lot on my own thread sorry...

but today is NFL Sunday...for me my Packers are playing at home against the Lions.

One of my suggestions was not to watch the game alone.

Today I am...

I could have met up with some neighbors at a tavern but today I just feel like being alone.

I did txt. my sponsor and another AA friend.

I don't have a TV so I listen to the local radio...which is more interesting sportscast.

Hope you all have sober plans for the games....GO PACK GO
Old 10-06-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Football is huge in my house. We are Chargers fans first and foremost, but we live in Wisconsin, so we follow the Packers too. We'll watch any game really, we love the game so much.

Last Sunday was my first sober football day, and I didn't have any cravings, so I'm hoping today is the same!
Old 10-06-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Get into cooking. BBQ or otherwise.

For me this means wings, sliders, home made fries, onion rings, blue cheese dip (from scratch). I am just starting to get into the smoking aspect.

I stay away from gambling, as I know I could simply substitute alcohol, drugs, sex, gambling at any point and the outcome is about the same.

My DOC now is cranberry and soba with a lime in a high ball. My drink was vodka martinis...I would usually be blackout for the 2nd half of a game.

In AA they say if you don't have a legitimate reason for being around alcohol then don't. So tailgating I would think would fall into that category of not being legit. Be careful not to think your doing better and then get snagged.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InsaneHeart View Post
Football is huge in my house. We are Chargers fans first and foremost, but we live in Wisconsin, so we follow the Packers too. We'll watch any game really, we love the game so much.

Last Sunday was my first sober football day, and I didn't have any cravings, so I'm hoping today is the same!
Funny!!! Chargers are my 2nd fav team since Packers got John Hadl QB in the 70s
Old 10-06-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Today is going to be a toughie. My Titans are playing my husband's Chiefs. I'm missing my QB, let's just hope my backup shows up for the team!

No worries about drinking, however, at least if I get angry at him I'll be accountable! lol
Old 10-06-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Today is going to be a toughie. My Titans are playing my husband's Chiefs. I'm missing my QB, let's just hope my backup shows up for the team!

No worries about drinking, however, at least if I get angry at him I'll be accountable! lol
I like both teams!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have a strategy.
Im actually WATCHING THE GAME.

Turns out that I was off in the kitchen "making food" (drinking)

"watching the game" (sitting drinking)

"talking to friends" (outside smoking pot)

and making drinks for others. (drinking more)

Turns out, football is pretty fun to watch.