Notices

Sobriety Tips For NFL

Old 10-30-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

lots and lots of Hot Wings.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Wow, I'm not alone!

My last alcohol binge was SuperBowl Sunday 2012! I'm now skipping any NFL game (and "unavoidable" celebration) where drugs and/or alcohol are used. I'm a Cowboys fan and tired of let downs! Trying not to take it soooo seriously! It's not worth my sobriety!
Old 10-30-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Actually, you are helpful

Leana,
I am a Penn State alumni from over 30 years ago... nice to meet another Nittany Lion. The whole scandal over J.S. has had me turning away from the televised games... the whole incident was shocking and disappointing to say the least. Your honesty about your tailgating is welcome here... I am honest in that I often don't talk much about my Penn State days, although they were some of the happiest ever.... and yes... I was quite the party girl back then.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Tough loss for Michigan today. I have to admit, I have an unhealthy relationship with Michigan football. It is almost akin to my addiction in that it tries to trick my brain into forgetting that sobriety is my #1 priority. I know this all sounds pretty childish, but I'm getting to a meeting tonight. I definitely need it.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

1dayatatime- My dad and my son are Penn State grads. Nice to meet a fellow Penn Stater!
Old 11-02-2013, 11:26 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I enjoy Sundays ,Packers fan . I golf really early then catch all sunday games ..it makes things interesting to have a $10 bet ,nothing crazy ..cost of entertainment ..rest of the week is kind of boring unless you have new hobbies ,which i havent found yet
Old 11-03-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Packers vs. Da Bears at Lambeau Monday night...awesome.

My son was going to buy tickets but they jumped big time in price. Not worth it.

Today....I'll be painting and listening to a game on radio....keeping an eye on fantasy leagues.

Not sure about tomorrow night.

Sobriety has helped me put things in perspective and football is no reason for me to get all drunk. Really never has....just an excuse.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Major urges to smoke...Bears 7 Packers 3

Rodgers hurt
Packers turnover

Just a game and these urges too shall pass.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, TomSawyer. I'm assuming you're a Rush fan so maybe we can still be friends.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Today I'm whining....Packers lose Rodgers and Wallace.
Have a practice squad QB.
Today I don't have to watch the game...best for my peace of mind I don't.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Tough game today. Chargers are playing Broncos
Old 11-10-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TomSawyer View Post
I go to a lot of the Michigan games, and have realized that avoiding the whole tailgating scene is pretty key for me in early recovery. But yeah, I'd like to learn how to enjoy the whole experience without needing a beer too.

Honestly, most of the time I get so drunk I don't even appreciate the actual game. I'm really looking forward to the Michigan-Notre Dame game Saturday and being fully sober to enjoy it.
Go blue!! Just moved away from Ann Arbor after 6 years there. Had season tickets too.

I don't enjoy tailgates that much since entering recovery. I always had looked forward to drinking during college/nfl games. Now I grab a soda or crystal light and either get takeout or make myself a meal I'll enjoy.

I will go to bars to watch games (Michigan) that aren't televised in my area, but I always have sober supports and I'll pause occasionally to reflect on how today, I watch the games and am grateful to be sober. Whenever I am at a bar, I'm with my gf or friends that know I'm sober.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Broncos won... but Peyton is feeling pain

The Broncos game went along pretty uneventfully Sunday, but that last hit Peyton got, where his ankles were grabbed, was scary.
Recovery wise, my grown son and I drove to his sister's home, where we and her husband enjoyed wonderful food and cranberry lemonade.
It is nice to be drama free and have functional family interactions... result of all clean and sober peeps.
Next we face Kansas.... and I think they are undefeated... they better enjoy it, cuz it will all change next Sunday evening... LOL
Old 11-12-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Packers perfect record was ended by the Chiefs....so I hope the Chiefs perfect record ends with the Broncos.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thanks, Wisc... sorry about the Packers loss. Good to know the Broncos will have you rootin' for them!
Old 11-12-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

desperate times desperate measures! Packers sign Matt Flynn to back up a practice squad quarterback...aye aye aye...were done for the season.

Nothing worth drinking or using over.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Absolutely not worth drinking or using over

Football is just ....entertainment... a game... right??
I was driving to work around 3: 30 pm earlier today... I could not believe that Broncos head coach John Fox was already having a press conference via telephone regarding his thoughts and feelings mostly about Sunday's game... he talked about "having to turn away" when Peyton was tackled via his ankles, and Coach Fox said he made some phone calls to NFL league officials about this tackle.
The man just got out of open heart surgery, for crying out loud!!
He is still not able to travel back to Denver for medical reasons.
no... we don't risk our health or recovery for football, but it is quite an obsession...I find it all fascinating.
I am going to have to ask my sons who Matt Flynn is...
at least i am honest.
Hang in there!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

^^^^^Matt Flynn^^^

Well he is well liked in Green Bay...
yet nobody has any idea why he didn't work out in Seattle or Oakland???

So we have a promoted practice squad QB starting....not good.

Just going to listen on the radio and have hot wings and lemonade.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Tornadoes in the area, so obviously it's pretty easy to stay sober, in case we need to evacuate, or whatever.

I don't know why they have not postponed The Bears game yet. 60,000+ mostly drunk fans at a football stadium cannot be good during severe weather. I'm hunkered down at home, 40 miles outside of Chicago.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GillianChicago View Post
Tornadoes in the area, so obviously it's pretty easy to stay sober, in case we need to evacuate, or whatever.

I don't know why they have not postponed The Bears game yet. 60,000+ mostly drunk fans at a football stadium cannot be good during severe weather. I'm hunkered down at home, 40 miles outside of Chicago.

How you doing now? Sorry hope Ravens win. Lions should lose.