Notices

weeKenders *ring ring* Aug 30, 31st and 1st Sept

Old 08-30-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I'm in the thick of my rough time....4:30-8:30. Made it so far....
Old 08-30-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
LDT

I'm in. Will be sailing with family all weekend....my best way to deal with stress.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

LadyInBC, it's great to see you and congrats on the new job!

Peaches, your evening sounds fantastic. I'm so glad you are able to talk to your hubby again. What movie are you guys watching?

JDooner, you are in the teeth of it now. It will get better. The longer you stay sober the better you will feel. I was a raving lunatic right after I quit and felt miserable. The only thing that kept me together was trying to remember just how crappy life was when I was drinking. The thing was, yeah, I felt escape when I drank, but it was so fleeting. Life always came crashing back in, harder each time. Stay close. We are with you.

Peace,
Cas
Old 08-30-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Sorry to be a downer - I can't tell how many of these posts are positive bc if you write positive things you hope you will be positive or if you long timers really feel good about life. Maybe I am just not wired for this? To me a few drinks and a few lines sound pretty appealing right now.
Hi Jdooner,
I am a long timer and I really feel good about life. Took me a while, a long while, but so worth it! You can do it, because if I can do it, then anyone can do it. Trust me on this!

Old 08-30-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thanks Cas just ended up watching history channel...I love this kind of Friday night. I'll be back tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thanks for the help...and support. I am smart enough to realize its my mind playing tricks on me. I am just surprised by how this has gotten the better of me. I was shocked at the detox, as I did not think I was physically addicted to alcohol - perhaps justification. You know, I am not an Alcoholic but just abused alcohol. I realize I am an Alcoholic full stop!

The problem with drinking was I loved getting out of control. But if I look at the progression it escalated from drinking to drinking with multiple drugs to get off. I also fell in love with cocaine during the process, as it made me feel like Superman.

I have no sober friends...not that I had many drunk friends they liked me for my parties and my money more than likely, as I may have been fun but probably not a nice person. I used them as much as they used me.

My wife is going to try and get clean and sober next week - she is boozing it up in Napa currently. I am afraid we won't know each other sober or like each other for that matter. We seemed closest when we were boozing and drugging.

I take a pill in the morning 500mg that precludes my ability to drink now anyhow and this has helped me get through some of the tougher moments. I grilled today outside and wanted a drink then became depressed that I can't. Olive1 - I hear ya on things getting better just feels like I jumping out of the plane right now and not sure if the chute is going to pull. I am saying goodbye to the better part of 20yrs, although aside from some fun times, I don't think anything really good ever came from drinking.

Sorry for the ramble - I am mess mentally right now.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I'm looking forward to a good relaxing weekend. Time out on the water, time wandering in the hills, time listening to good music. Most of all waking up each morning with a steady heartbeat, a quiet stomach, a clear mind, and *no* other illness due to consuming ethanol or other mind altering chemicals.

Life is good. It really is.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi Friends, I am in.

Long work week for me again with all this stuff going on in the Middle East but made it through and glad it's a long weekend. Had pizza with a new, sober friend tonight and tomorrow is another friend's birthday party in Philly. In the second case, these are the "old friends" of drinking and pot smoking days and this is the first party I will be attending since cleaning up my act six months ago. I am taking a sober friend and also only planning on staying for a couple of hours so should be good to go.

The other good thing is that they're Deadheads so they're pretty chill so there is likely to be minimal pressure to drink and, even if there is, they'll forget about it within a few minutes anyway

Other than that, not much planned but relaxing and checking in here.

Mecanix, awesome on 2 years and thanks for starting the thread! Happy bday Zoe, congrats Natom, and I will catch up with the rest of you later on...

Happy sober start to the weekend!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Tennis match early tomorrow AM with another Alcoholic.

Bought my daughter a new bike going to teach her how to ride without training wheels.

Bringing my son and daughter to the pool after bike lessons.

Hosting a BBQ for my family and letting them know I am an alcoholic.

Yard work and staying sober this weekend.

Starting to train again for triathlons on Tuesday - 6AM in the pool.

Hopefully going to sleep soon.

JD
Old 08-30-2013, 10:58 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Made it through Friday, now it is Saturday morning where I live and in a couple of hour I am off to run (well, at least try..) 10km... I just love this, waking up fresh, able to drive, able to exercise. Saturday was always harder for me, but I am going to make it through the whole weekend without drinking!
Old 08-30-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
I am struggling...my emotions seem to come in waves. Feels like a bad acid trip, just when things seem okay you get hit by another wave. I feel like I have lost a friend (booze) and the smallest things like a sunny day or a song trigger the need for a drink and then depression sets in. I am 5 days into this thing an the physical effects have subsided but I really can't imagine life like this going fwd. I know my mind is playing tricks but this just sucks.

Sorry to be a downer - I can't tell how many of these posts are positive bc if you write positive things you hope you will be positive or if you long timers really feel good about life. Maybe I am just not wired for this? To me a few drinks and a few lines sound pretty appealing right now.
Hey jdooner ,
alcohol made me feel pritty bad , those hangovers , all the daft falling over and knocking things over , burning stuff in the oven , saying and doing bad stuff because of drunken rages, self pitty and self rightousness .

for me after a few months full time sobriety a depression i had lifted , it was caused by alcohol . If normal people are depressed they go to the doctor and get help, they don't start drinking a depressant .

You will never know what a sober life is like going forwards if you drink , do you think i'd be sober and staying this way if life like this wasn't pleasant ?

I've had to make an bit of an effort to get into doing things , alcohol and drinking is such a passive passtime , sit back drink and wait ... i much prefer getting involved with life and experience .

I hope you decide it's worth it and persevere with it . It might be worth asking in a thread of your own to get more breadth of experience than just us weeKenders .

Bestwishes, m
Old 08-30-2013, 11:50 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Victoria ,
Re-discovering morinings felt good , was a revalation to me after quitting

tout-la-monde,
Just a normal saturday for me , watch some telly and do the chores , at least i try to do some chores these days . In my old house in the uk when i was hitting drinking hard i put a newspaper on the side in the living room , when i got about to throwing it out i noticed the date, nearly 3 years had gone by !!

Lets all have a sober saturday, only 16 hours till bedtime . If you've done 24 before then 16 is certainly possible if we put our "ducks in a row" , those cunning Australiens are nearly there already , you've got to admire how they set the trend and live in the future like that

Bestwishes, m
Old 08-31-2013, 12:33 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Hoping for a sober weekend.

Got appointment for vet for my dog this morning, just have to think what to do the rest of the day. I should go to the gym which might help. Got work this evening.

Sunday i have work in morning and cant wait until 1pm as i will be on week holiday from after that. Just have to think about what im going to be doing. I do have appointment next wed for alcohol services, so that should help.

Just have to get motivated in keeping bz.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Morning weekenders.... I cannot say enough that this thread is for those that stay sober for the weekend and those that may have not. No one is a downer.... We are here for you!

Me personally had a rough one yesterday. Going through a lot emotionally and was on the edge. Had dinner out at a Mexican place and the tequila list nearly had me. Nearly.

So up early today. Doing chores before I go to the New York Botanical Gardens in the Bronx. 200+ acres of parks and plants and flowers to enjoy. Love horticulture.

Anyway.. I will check in later.

Weekenders rock!

K
Old 08-31-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Selling this morning. Party in the late afternoon. Hope all is well with everyone.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Morning!! Nice breakfast..relaxing. not going out until about 3 pm to watch some college football. They all drink beer. I'm not. I'll leave if it gets too bad. I'll need to come here during this time for support. I'm feeling confident but I know how things can change. I also have my daughter to call. Usually on Saturday I'm hungover and want a drink asap to feel better. I like this kind of morning better. I will practice "think it through" today.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I'm in!
Old 08-31-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm in too. Day 23 today and no chance of drinking. I do however have tooth-ache, so not really posting much as am a bit on the grumpy side x All's good though x
Old 08-31-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Just checking in - Day 30 for me and had a rough morning. Hubby and I kept bickering over stupid little things and I have been really emotional. Not sure why, but all I wanted to do was sit in my bedroom and cry. In the past I would have turned to alcohol, but I know it would only make things worse. Time to grow up and face real emotions I guess.

Hubby and I have plans to go out for a nice dinner to celebrate our 4th anniversary. After this morning I had no desire to go, but we need a night out together, without our 3 yr old Will be a first for me - an anniversary dinner without cocktails and wine. Hoping it won't be too hard for me?

Hope everyone else is having a good day and staying strong!
Old 08-31-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey ladybug i seem to remember the 6 weeks and then 3 months both being a bit fraught and emotional . I'm sure it will be better with some time .

When i have meals out i always make sure i have a bottle of water on the table and make sure that i've always got my glass topped up sometimes i order both fizzey and still .

I'm sure the evening and tomorow will be better for you not drinking .. remember to "play the tape through to the end" with respect to alcohol ...

Bestwishes, m