Notices

Merlot and E-mail do not mix

Old 08-30-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Your Smartphone comment is hilarious!!! And soooo true! P.S. Don't you find those moments of Comedy and Laughter a great break in the sometimes daily trudging?
Old 08-30-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

After my job loss email I was able to refrain from getting on Facebook, texting, or calling anyone while under the influence. Instead I would open a word document and write everything there that I would have posted, texted, etc. It was an experiment to see how much sense it made the next day.

I swear that this is proof positive that we know what we do when we are in a blackout and it's just the short term memory loss when we wake up the next day. I was able to achieve just using the word documents.

The next day when I opened the word document and read it how many times did what I wrote make sense? ZERO. It always sounds like a great idea at the time though!
Old 09-02-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

WOW! Thanks to all for responding and sharing your experiences. This helps me a lot. It was the drunk-texts, emails, Facebook messages that REALLY opened my eyes to the problem aspect of my drinking. On morning afters, seeing things in a digital format that I didn't remember doing the night before was a major wake up call for me and really got my attention.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by DG0409 View Post
They should start making smart phones with built in breathalyzers.
There are such apps for Android and iOS.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Let's see...there was that one time when I hadn't been to sleep for about 24 hours and had spent the past few hours drinking red wine (it was probably merlot). I decided it was a good time to get on Facebook and post that I was going to unfriend everyone who I thought was a C-word. A few minutes later, I posted again, pretending that someone had hacked my account and posted that stuff. However, I'd already unfriended quite a few people by that stage.

Months later, one of my friends asked why I'd unfriended her. And another friend I'd unfriended gave me some very strange looks when she saw me again. Another woman I'd unfriended walked past me in the street, avoiding eye contact and with a look of absolute terror on her face. I have no idea if it was because of Facebookgate or because of one of the many other times I'd treated her appallingly because of my drinking.

But believe it or not, that's not as bad as what I used to get up to on Twitter. Man, Twitter has got to be one of the worst social media/communication tools to mix with booze. You can tweet anyone you want, regardless of whether or not they're following you. You get people you've never met following you and everyone can see your tweets if your account isn't locked. I used to tweet the most embarrassing stuff to celebrities, get into massive fights with complete strangers and go on completely offensive, abusive and self-loathing rants full of expletives.

Oh, and did I mention my Dad and his side of the family follow me on both Facebook and Twitter? Yeah...

Thank goodness all that kind of stuff never ever has to happen again!
Old 09-02-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I haven't finished reading, but I'm cracking up over here. I know technically it's not funny, but it is...getting an email reminder of a trip, glass collector...oh my lol

I was a big texter too...oh the shame
Old 09-02-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I was texter and a Facebook messenger person. It was normally only to guy friends and It was me flirting with them, sending pictures, getting their hopes up, or getting shameful and telling them I was bad news and they needed to stay away from me.
Congrats on day 20
Old 09-02-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I am ashamed to think I may have you all beat---between April and July I spent three thousand dollars buying extra lives to beat all 465 levels playing Candy Crush Saga on Facebook
Old 09-02-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

yes...so i've deleted the saved email addresses i had so i won't do that :/
Old 09-02-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Elini58...i spent about $400 on a facebook game in a week or 2 :/
Old 09-02-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I would buy songs on iTunes that I had to hear right then and spent about $300 in one night.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Eleni, I'm sorry, but I snorted diet coke out of my nose when I read your post. Funniest thing I've read on SR!
Old 09-02-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I suddenly feel sorta normal lol although I spent hundreds on a facebook game too but thousands LOL wooooo - bet king.com love you lol
Old 09-02-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Reminds me of a night 10 years ago that still makes me cringe... I stayed up late drinking loads of wine with my best friend's mother and told her all about the details of my best friend's sordid sex life. Of course, it was my best friend's wedding night. And I was the matron of honor.... awful stuff. She was understanding, but I'm not sure why. I still feel terrible about it. You can't take it back once it's said.