Notices

Merlot and E-mail do not mix

Old 08-30-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

They should start making smart phones with built in breathalyzers.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

During the first time I quit for 14 months I started a hobby to keep my mind off drinking.Eventually I joined a rather large online club that had a lot of members involved with the hobby.

When I fell off the wagon I would often make the mistake of going on this particular site and saying things that were spiteful and just plain wrong.Some members would notice that something wasn't right.As it was very off charactor from the way I acted during the daytime hours while posting.

Over the past couple of years I was going a couple weeks to a month without drinking.But,would evetually fall back off the wagon.I to would leave myself a mental note not to post anything while drinking.Just avoid going online all together.

After being a member of this club for over 7 years I've watched people come and go and leadership in the club change as well. The current leadship or Board contacted me during one of my sober stretches and asked if I cared to be a moderator...lol...me?
I volunteered.But,I was very scared of screwing up and making a fool of myself and the club while drinking.And I unfortunately did have a few times where I was loaded and made the mistake of going online.But,never participated in any of the modding or converstions on the boards while drinking.

Fast forward a month.I am actively part of the moderation group and a trusted member of the club. Been very active in helping new folks that have issue with getting started.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This a great yet hilarious (in some ways)thread!!

For me, calling, emailing and texting anyone while under the influence of alcohol and/or other mind altering substances are all good enough reasons to quit all by themselves!

At least these days you can see a history of some of the damage done on your phone or computer...way back in the day (before we all had cell phones) my cousin and I used to call "guys" when we were drinking. The next am we obviously did not remember everyone we had called and were screwed! The only feature was *69 and that would only reveal to us the very last person we had called!!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by DG0409 View Post
They should start making smart phones with built in breathalyzers.
There's an app out there now called "Drunk Dial NO!" which allows you to block numbers so you don't do the old spontaneous combustion thingy when you're in one of those "you know what? F*ck you!" frame of minds.

All rather late for me I'm afraid
Old 08-30-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

So familiar... And the next morning there's that "Oh ****!" moment where you realize that what you did that seemed like such a good idea to do when you were drunk, was actually a disaster...
Old 08-30-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Eeeesh. Too many regretted Facebook statuses to even count.... Not to mention the crazy texts to my boyfriend. And slurred conversations. Not cool at all.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

This thread made me LOL. Too much real life! I've done all the insane emailing/FBing/Drunk call/Ebaying lark! Last time I got into that state of out of control, I brought Ugg Boots and a Paul Boutiques coat online. I wouldn't mind but the coat was physcdellic pink! :/ I'm hoping those days are long gone now
Old 08-30-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Oh man I've lost jobs over this. Right or wrong I closed a lot of doors for myself. Hopefully in the future there will be something that pops up and goes "sorry you appear to be drunk, you probably shouldn't e-mail your boss telling them they are incompetent... swear words".
Old 08-30-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Jack - Love the sound of that coat!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Originally Posted by ZoeM View Post
Jack - Love the sound of that coat!
Lmao! I've never worn it, it happened to also be 2 sizes too small
Old 08-30-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZoeM View Post
Merlot and EBay don't mix either! I used to wake up thinking ' I bought WHAT' ??? for HOW MUCH??
Oh yeah, I can relate to that. I probably spent as much buying stuff online as I did at the liquor stores! Seemed like a good idea at the time.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

It seems like a million years ago since I would wake up in that 3:00 am alcohol induced panic - gasping for air, watching my heart literally pound in my chest, and thinking WTF did I post of FB last night ?

What is so crazy about it is that at the time, the moment when I'm posting, it seems like the best idea I HAVE LITERALLY EVER HAD. Who knew I was so flaking brilliant ? Wow, I'm so insightful.

I wonder what part of the brain gets spiked up to think those things ?

Thank God that is ALL in the past.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I lost a $70k a year job because of alcohol and an email.

There were other reasons that they did what they did that I could have brought them to court over but why?

Regardless of mitigating circumstances if I had never sent the email I would still be there.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
What is so crazy about it is that at the time, the moment when I'm posting, it seems like the best idea I HAVE LITERALLY EVER HAD. Who knew I was so flaking brilliant ? Wow, I'm so insightful.
That was me, though there was no FB at that time, but I would drink & dial and express my feelings to friends and family....sigh, I don't miss that at all.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

To Merlot and Email Do Not Mix,

Oh how your tale brought back some very unfortunate calls that I made and thank you for sharing. When 'in my cups' once I felt it necessary to call all of my previous relationships and give them advice and input on who they were. My slurry speech, inappropriate laughter, coupled with crying, must have had great impact. I know they are much better people today with my wisdom words, ha!

I'm sure they all were glad to hear from me that night. Then I had to go back and make amends for my actions. Today, having sobered up, I only wish them the best (except one), I'm not perfect, just sober. Ha!!!!1
Old 08-30-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I quit several jobs before they even had email. I was too sick to go to work and then drank more because of being too afraid to face them. I remind myself that I was sick and dying a slow death. And I forgive myself when I am in a 'beat myself up' mode. I know if I had had Cancer or some other disease I didn't sign up for I would let it go.

I just never want to go back to that life again and feel blessed for having some friends and tools (and HP) to guide me through life now. My parents, grandparents, siblings, and extended family all had the disease of Alcoholism. So far, I am only one of 2 who has been in recovery....so much for my program being one of attraction..ha!

The days of 'wine and misery' have been replaced by starting each day with Gratitude and excitement for just One More Sober Day.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

But then again, they could have really been incompetent. Maybe they really took your words to heart and are now competent. (somewhat just kidding, of course) We never know. But, over time, and with so much more to learn, I do see I sleep better if I am not grinding my teeth about what I said or wrote yesterday. If there had been email then, the list of amends probably would have doubled. I just thank God now if I write something stupid then I'm just stupid but not drunk! Ha Ha
Old 08-30-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi Merlot and e mail don't mix

This thread is so refreshing - I have made a complete tit of myself over the phone and online whilst imbibing various liquids, lost a few friends because of it too.

As a lot of you have already said - that is enough reason in itself to stop drinking.

And a thoughts just occurred to me - my phone bill will be a lot cheaper this quarter - yet another bonus of sobriety.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Text messaging and booze don't mix either. You ever wake up the next morning hungover and read some of the text messages you sent the night before? Yikes!!!!
Old 08-30-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

It's amazing and sad, Lol that so much of us can relate to this.