Notices

I hate cooking now!

Old 09-02-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I hate cooking now!

I used to love cooking with a glass of wine, now that I don't drink, i hate cooking, anybody had this problem, I hate food right now actually, well not hate, its just more of an aversion.

I just feel so sick to my stomach about it since I have come to this realization, what to do though, I mean we need to eat!

Sorry on a bit of a rant right now. I used to also love to cook for my loved one but i don't have one right now (taking a break from dating too-want to get used to sober life on my own first), I cook for my son but he is a very picky eater and sucks all the joy out of it.

I am forcing myself to make something tonight for my neighbour, maybe that will help.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand as am the same. I used to love cooking,spending hours drinking whilst cooking. when I quit drinking, cooking became merely a functional task. I'm nearly 9 months now and can't say I'm back into cooking fully yet though I'm having a new kitchen fitted so am hopeful
Old 09-02-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I too used to enjoy drinking wine while cooking. I've gone through different phases over the past year. I currently have had zip interest in cooking this summer. I just posted in another thread that I'm not going to feel guilty about it.....makes time for other interests and I'm sure the cooking bug will strike again
Old 09-02-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Right there with you. In fact, my family just asked what's for dinner. And I'm all "You tell me ?"

I drank my way through every single dinner I prepared over the last 20 years. And I mean Every dinner. I hid my alcoholism behind a Julia Child facade, thinking if I drank Cakebread (followed by 2 buck) while I prepared coq au vin, it somehow made me less of a gutter drunk.

I am still only a few sips away from being that gutter drunk. So until I have a better handle on all this TV dinners it is !!!

Be well.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes i felt like that too. I think the longer you are sober the less you will associate cooking with drinking wine. Or at least that was the case for me. I found it just took time for the association to fade. Now i very much enjoy cooking again and do not think of wine when i do cook.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi

I think it's a great idea to cook for your neighbour. Maybe you could invite a guest one night a week and then you know you ( and a friend) will get a good meal once a week.

I don't work mons and tues and often make a few meals at 10am when my favourite radio programme is on. Means I just need to reheat when I get home from work and am tired or short of time.

maybe change the time you cook or cook in bulk, freeze and reheat?

Carly
Old 09-02-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Fhl41 - I am the exact opposite! I absolutely hate to cook. Always have. Thus, I ate out all the time. This also gave me a GREAT excuse to order martinis before my meal and wine during. ... All my money went to supporting my foodie addiction.

Since I have decided to give up alcohol once and for all, I have no desire to eat out (at least for now in that I am in early sobriety)... what's the point if I am not going to have wine and martinis.

I just enrolled in a basic Cooking 101 class and this starts in about a week. Now I just have to learn how to go food shopping!
Old 09-02-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That sounds awesome fourseasons! I would love to take a cooking class. I also want to take cake decorating. I think food tastes so much better now. When I drank, I tried to avoid eating because it interfered with my buzz, so I made whatever was easy. Since I had my husband and three sons to cook for, and they would eat virtually anything, I didn't try very hard. Now I like to surprise my husband (boys are grown) with new things I see on the Food Network. I'm getting to be a pretty good cook too!
Old 09-02-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, same here. Used to love food and cooking. I haven't enjoyed cooking since getting sober. Haven't really enjoyed eating either. Somehow there was a strong connection for me with drinking wine and cooking (and eating). My husband isn't thrilled about this either, but that's just tough for him. Maybe he will quit being intimidated in the kitchen. His mom really did us a disservice by dominating the kitchen and discouraging him from making food. Shame on all you moms who have incapacitated your sons!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 09-02-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fhl41 View Post

now that I don't drink, i hate cooking
I just don't know why
I used to cook most every night in the old drunk days
now sober I have next to no desire to cook
my wife would like for me to cook more often
but
I told her that rather than me cook we can just do fast food
she cooks most every day
tonight I will BBQ outside for us
that's about as far as it goes
regarding cooking don't know why it all changed when I got sober
but I do accept the fact that
I find no pleasure in cooking today

sometimes I think that I'm lazy in my sobriety
it was rough getting sober this last time around
I will do whatever I need to do so as to stay sober today
does not cooking fit in there ???

Mountainman

Old 09-02-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i'm not back to full capacity in the kitchen yet, but i have found a couple things to help me out, because i also drank wine while cooking. well, i drank wine all bloody day, but the two coffee mugs full while cooking were my faves. (classy, i know.)

anyway... i have a glass of v8 fusion while cooking as my first line of defense. (light blueberry pom is the best), and i drink it out of a proper juice glass... coffee mugs are strictly for coffee and tea now-a-days...

i also stopped watching 'triple d' or 'chopped' while cooking. i really only turn the tv on for cooking and after the kids are in bed, but i loved that 'me time'... so now i either keep the tv off (more on that in a minute), or put 'house hunters' or ancient episodes of 'friends' on instead. i don't know why that helps, but it does.

the other thing that helps me is, since i do AA, i try to time the last part of my almost daily call to my sponsor to coincide with dinner making. (that's when i keep the tv off.)

cooking still mostly feels like i chore, rather than a passion again, but it's not so painful anymore. but, i'm hopeful the joy will come back one day...
Old 09-02-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thank you all for your responses, i feel better knowing I am not the only one feeling like this. I hope my passion for cooking comes back, for now I will do what I can. If frozen pizza is all I can muster occasionally than too bad - at least I'll be sober cooking it.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

That's funny. I never really enjoyed cooking in the first place but I used to love drinking and scrubbing my house. Since I quit drinking I realized that I hate cleaning.