Notices

Thank you, goodbye and good luck to all

Old 08-23-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank you, goodbye and good luck to all

This will be my last post in the forum. I think you all for your kind words, encouragement and support. I have gained many things since the 2nd July, which was my last binge drink day. I have a much better family life, I have been given a pay rise as I am so much more productive, I more honest and loving. For the first time in ages I have some money to treat myself and my family. Due to feeling healthier I have also given up smoking. I am about ready to cut down on the baking and get back to the gym.
I have however decided that moderation is an option for me. In the almost two months since I made the decision to quit I have had two social occasions where I have had a few glasses of wine and enjoyed them. Not to get wasted, I always enjoyed the taste of wine. I have decided that if I go out socially I will have a couple, and I know that's frowned upon on the forum which is why I am leaving. The day I gave up I went to an aa meeting and I think that served as a reminder of what can happen. I have a quality of life now that I never imagined I would.
I don't go out very often so drinking will probably less than once a month and I will not under any circumstances drink in the house like I used to. I am now able to buy a mini bottle of wine if a recipie calls for it and the remainder always goes down the sink!
I wish you all the very best on journeys and thank you all for the support I received. I know to most of you this will be classed as a failure but to me it's been a huge success. I will never go backwards, I couldn't deal with the hangover!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I can't say I agree with your decision apophylite....the times when nothing bad happened to me when I drank were the most dangerous cos they helped convince me I was ok...those few times made me forget the hundreds of really bad times when things were definitely not ok.

However I managed to control myself for brief periods, inevitably I always returned to my usual toxic relationship with booze.

but...hey...I hope you're one of the infinitesimal few for whom this 'works out'.

If things don't work out, the door is always open here

best of luck

D

Last edited by Dee74; 08-23-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: more exposition
Old 08-23-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Friend-

Do yourself a favor and fast forward the movie.

Maybe someone else can, but I cannot explain why moderation doesn't work more simply than that.

Good luck and God Bless
Old 08-23-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can't help wondering, why you pour the leftover wine down the sink, if you don't feel it's a problem.
All the best with everything though - I really hope you make it x
Old 08-23-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope it works out for you......please swing by, I'll be here!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Zoe I pour the left over wine away as my decision is to enjoy a drink or two socially not for the sake of it in the house.
My home life had improved a hundred percent without drinking and I prefer my evenings curled up with my hubby, some cake and a cup of tea.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's fair enough, but before you go, humour me and read your original post?
Only saying, coz we care!! x
Old 08-23-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is what you said just over one month ago. Apparently you've figured it all out now? Good luck with everything.

Hi all
I have been reading posts on the site for a few weeks now, and still told myself my drinking was ok. I am 40 years old with a husband, a 20 year old, and a 6, and 4 year old. I am the head therapist in spa in a four star hotel. I am actually, and the penny has finally dropped a functioning alcoholic.
I come from a family of big drinkers, one of whom has just been in hospital after an overdose taken at 7pm because she was so drunk.
i have kidded myself up to now i can control it, but i dont think i can. I need to change but i am scared of doing it.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope it works out for you. Please don't let your pride get in the way if things don't go well...we are all always here for you.

My Godmother was an alcoholic and remained in recovery until she passed on. She always said, you never know how many recoveries you have left in you. She never wanted to start drinking again because she didn't know if she would have the strength to quit again.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As Dee said. I wish you the best. BE WELL
Old 08-23-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

6 or 7 weeks of abstinence peppered with a few relapses hardly comprises recovery from an addiction, apophylite.

The only reason you gave as to why you want to resume drinking is the taste. This sounds like your disease is trying to get the best of you. Don't let that happen.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hope it works for you.

This is in reality my first time where I have stopped with the intention never to drink again, I have a long history of taking breaks to get it under control – many rather long.

If I look back I wish I would have taken that decision some time back, but it is in reality unfair, we do take the direction that is meaningful for us at that time.

Be careful.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I hope you come back if you realize that your AV can be quieted, but not tamed.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sorry, Apopholyte, but the statistics are against you:

The most thorough research (Helzer and Associates, 1985) studied five- and seven-year outcomes on 1,289 diagnosed and treated alcoholics, and found only 1.6 percent were successful moderate drinkers. Of that fraction, most were female and none showed clear symptoms of true alcoholism. In any case, it would be unethical to suggest to any patient a goal with a failure rate of 98.4 percent.

Two psychologist at Patton State Hospital in California with no clinical experience in treating alcoholics, attempted to modify the drinking of chronic alcoholics, not as a treatment goal but just to see whether it could be done. The research literature is largely a record of failure, indicating that the only realistic goal in treatment is total abstinence.

Maybe you will fall into that 1.6% who can successfully moderate their drinking. Who knows? I guess time will tell, eh?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Good luck to you and I hope everything works out for you and that you are not an alcoholic.
If moderation does not work down the line, we will be there
Old 08-23-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Apophylite - You know where we are if you ever need us.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I realize you probably don't have the time to watch it, but there is this awesome documentary on you tube in ten parts, called "Rain In My Heart". I have watched it a dozen times so far I think. I don't know how to post a link to it, but I was hoping maybe someone else here might be able to post a link to it? I highly recommend it if you have a spare moment to watch it.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well when you achieve what untold numbers have tried over decades, and failed miserably at. Please do us a favor and return and tell us how it was done.

You can write a book and make more money then J K Rowlings ever even dreamed about.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Wish you the best of luck my Welsh friend. But in your own words if you find yourself breaking this vow

"I will not under any circumstances drink in the house like I used to."

then you were probably right when you said this:

"i have kidded myself up to now i can control it, but i dont think i can."
Old 08-23-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Best of luck and I'm glad it's the end of the road of being an alchoholic for you.

I haven't read any of your previous posts, so maybe you aren't one, you just had a problem with continual hangovers.