It has been six whole months!

Old 08-15-2013, 03:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Congratulations , friend

And thank you
Old 08-15-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Ptcapote! Great job on 6 months! I am very happy for you.

Thank you for sharing a bit of your story. You've outlined your first six months in a way that is both witty and insightful. There is much information and inspiration to be gained from this thread, and I thank you.

Keep up the great work Ptcapote!

Much love,

MV
Old 08-15-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Trying to get back on track

Hi there,

You should, and I hope you do, feel very proud of yourself!

I too would like to feel proud of myself. In a small way I do becuse I have drunk daily since I was 16, I am now 32 and I have had 5 sober days in the past 2 weeks. The only times I have not drunk daily was 3 months in re-hab, 6 months in jail, 24 months as a herion addict, then another 3 years of heroin again. I have not touched heroin for nearly 2 years now, however, my alcoholic tendencies manifestied themselves just a week after I stopped using heroin.

One of the reasons I find it hard to stay sober is because I find it so hard to get to sleep. After several sleepless nights, one of the reasons I want to drink is because I want to get to sleep. I know that this phase passes but I get so fed up! Yes, I am takin the easy route, making exuses.

Great to read how well you are doing. It's inspiration.

Take care.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

PT, bigtime congrats on your 6 months. Thank you for your insightful posts and sharing the keys to your success. I'm a big fan. Also, your avatar picture cracks me up everyday. :-)

Cheers,
Cas
Old 08-15-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by comdev View Post
Hi there,

You should, and I hope you do, feel very proud of yourself!

I too would like to feel proud of myself. In a small way I do becuse I have drunk daily since I was 16, I am now 32 and I have had 5 sober days in the past 2 weeks. The only times I have not drunk daily was 3 months in re-hab, 6 months in jail, 24 months as a herion addict, then another 3 years of heroin again. I have not touched heroin for nearly 2 years now, however, my alcoholic tendencies manifestied themselves just a week after I stopped using heroin.

One of the reasons I find it hard to stay sober is because I find it so hard to get to sleep. After several sleepless nights, one of the reasons I want to drink is because I want to get to sleep. I know that this phase passes but I get so fed up! Yes, I am takin the easy route, making exuses.

Great to read how well you are doing. It's inspiration.

Take care.
Hi Comdev, thank you for your post and the compliment. I think you are pretty damn brave and inspiring yourself. Heroin is one of the worst things in the world to kick (I have watched a brother and two very good friends go through that withdrawal and I know it is excruciating...it hurt to watch) and if you can do that, you can do this thing with alcohol. The sleeping bit is awful but it does get better. I put off not stopping drinking because I was afraid of the very same thing. In the end, you are going to have some sleepless nights. Maybe even a week or two of them. I took Melatonin, which helped, but when your body is used to passing out, it is going to be rough for a little bit.

But here's the thing...the first night or two of solid sleep you get and then thereafter with no booze in your system? Bliss. Absolute bliss. You won't believe how good it feels. That is one of the true gifts of sobriety, too.

So try to pull through it. It DOES go away and your body will get used to sleeping on its own again without alcohol.

Glad you're here and posting. And thank you again!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Incredible news, it made me smile! Thanks for sharing, you're doing great
Old 08-15-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ptcapote I'm so pleased for you 6 months is a huge achievement.......Congratulations!!!!

Your post has really given me something to think about and how important it is to keep at it, thank you for sharing
Old 08-15-2013, 11:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Insightful, inspiring, funny. You're doing a brilliant job. Congrats on six months!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 08-16-2013, 12:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Congratulations on six months!!.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I am sorry it has taken a while to respond. Thankyou for your feedback. Despite knowing in my mind that the sleep factor will improve, it really helps to hear it from another person who has been through the same thing. I have an essay due tomorrow and I am struggling to finish it. So for now, thankyou. Will get back to you soon.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thank you for the inspiration Pt. I always enjoy your posts, and I'm glad to see you have six months sober.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hell yes!
Old 08-21-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

SO proud of you ptcapote! We know how hard it is - you've done a great thing. The best is yet to be.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thank you for the wisdom you continuously share...and your humor...your hair looking like two turkeys mating on your head...that is funny!!!! Sobriety rocks and so do you
Old 08-21-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Nice post. Love the line about social skills known as 'social skills'.

Way to go on 6 months!!