Notices

Woops, or not?

Old 08-11-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Woops, or not?

Hi,

Yesterday night I went out with a couple of friends. Usually I would drink heavily around them. They all drink heavily on nights out.

I had two beers in a time period of about 5 hours. Usually, in my alcoholic days, I wouldn't have been able to control it.

Now it was easy. I knew it even before I had my first beer. It just felt different. And I had no trouble with control whatsoever and today I don't feel the urge to drink.

It was just a social thing and it was fine.

So I'm satisfied with that. I've heard that alcoholism is a disease and that the only option it to never drink again. But is that always true? Or are there more people on here like me who just went back to "normal" drinking behavior?
Old 08-11-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Personally, this has happened to me. I think "I don't have a problem anymore." I was able to stop and didn't crave more. Then next time it's 3, then 4. So yes, I have experienced this and no it didn't last for me.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Time will tell.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi Dorian, What I find is helfpul is to go and read the post that brought me to this board. It provides me with perspective and keeps me honest with myself.

I think that might help, I know it works for me. Here's a link to your post:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ease-help.html

Your post sounds like your Addictive Voice is running the show right now.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was sober about 7 or 8 months in my last serious attempt at a sober life. I had a beer at a staff golf tournament. I had just one beer and then watched my co-workers get drunk. I drove home feeling awfully pleased with myself. A couple of weeks later I had another couple of beer at a social occasion. I left early as others were getting drunk. Again..oh I was oh so pleased with myself. The next time...I got rip roaring drunk. I paid my fare and was back on the drunkard's locomotive careening down the track. That was 6 years ago. I have just over 2 months sober time now.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think every person is different. A true alcoholic won't be able to moderate for long. I do know some folks who had serious alcohol abuse issues in college and young adulthood who were able to do so later on in life with no issues. It's baffling.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=DorianLastname;4117554 Or are there more people on here like me who just went back to "normal" drinking behavior?[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry..that made me chuckle a bit. I'm pretty sure there's a whole lot of people on here like you Dorian. One night of "normal" drinking does not make you "normal".
Old 08-11-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It depends on how sacred sobriety is to you. Everyone has a value they place on it. In my case, I never touched a drop after I gave up. I am a fast drinker, alcohol has no place in my life
Old 08-11-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ditto NuuDawn!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Even in my drinking days I still had the odd time where I had just a couple of drinks and I'd think, 'now all I have to do is do that all the time' but it never worked. Also a friend in AA pointed out that controlling it every day is not control, duh. Personally I know my track record and I don't trust it. I have no doubt that I would be able to control my drinking if I drank now. Recovery would have scared me into it. I also know it wouldn't last long. I always liked the phrase 'If I could control my drinking I would have done it by now'.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The fact that I was sometimes able to limit my drinking kept me in denial for a long time. Sure, I could keep it to one or two some nights - although the whole time I was having one or two I was thinking about how much I wanted more but oh look at me only having 2. Other times I'd start with one and get completely out of control. No rhyme or reason to what kind of night it would be. I don't dare try again, I'm better off sober.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

1 night of only 2 drinks does not mean a lifetime of succesful moderation and normal drinking.

Have you ever tried to moderate before coming to SR? I think most,if not all of us did many many times.Be honest with yourself-did it work everytime? If it did what brought you to SR?

I had many nights of 2 drinks,then 3 drinks the next night, then a bottle,then 2.

If sobriety is your goal then 2 drinks isn't a successful night. Maybe avoid temptation and bars early on

of course, if moderation and drinking 'normally' is your aim,it's unusual for it to be something to have to work on. Normal drinkers don't have to think twice about it. If you are thinking about controlling your drink it is already controlling you
Old 08-11-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the responses, but I am certain that I have gotten rid of the addiction and I'm back in control. This is no AV thing, this is perception of what is actually going on.

I've never believed that alcoholism is a life long disease. It's just gone now. I am back in control, even more so than I was in my younger years (I'm 32).

It's just the way it is. Fortunately. Alcohol is not a problem for me anymore. I can drink and control it.

To be honest, I used a lot of self-help techniques to get here. To paraphrase one of those people: "When I treated an alcoholic, I make them drink." The point being that the client sees that he's in control.

Alcoholism isn't a permanent problem if you have the right solution. AA has hypnotized us into the idea that it is a permanent problem, but it really isn't. But everyone beliefs that now and don't have the tools to actually solve it.

It's just a lie. It's not a permanent problem. It can be solved easily.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

the problem is that declaring this here brings the finger-tappers and the wait-and-see posters out. you may find they have a point, you may not.

best of luck.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Dorian, are you being honest with yourself? It sounds like you're possibly justifying that it's ok for you to drink right now. Are you sure that's the right thing to do after that initial post? Eight days ago you said "This is Hell, please help." Are you convinced that in eight days that everything is ok now?

I can safely say that this is the first time that I'm not only witnessing an AV whispering in someone's ear, it's screaming like an air raid siren.

I'm thinking of you and hope that you reconsider what you just posted. Your life is in your hands. Like it was said previously, time will tell.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If you really believe this, I challenge you to come back on this board in 6 months and tell us all you still have your drinking under control and are drinking in moderation (one or two and stopping).
Old 08-11-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DorianLastname View Post
To be honest, I used a lot of self-help techniques to get here.
How long have you been working on this Dorian? You have a miracle solution if your perception is right because you seem to have come here asking for help in August and you are now fixed a few weeks later. Can you share with us what has helped you? x
Old 08-11-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Are you being truly honest? You joined SR less than 2 weeks ago? You've managed to control your problem in under 2 weeks and that's it? You could make a fortune showing us how.

Forgive my cynicism. Seriously, time will tell-i wish you all the best. Please don't be afraid to come back to SR.We'll be here when you need us
Old 08-11-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I don't think il be able to ever control it if I was to go out and just have 1. So I disagree about it being a permanent problem. I think to mot people it is a permanent problem, if you can beat it then congrats and hope it works for you!

I do think I have a lot of life left to stay sober (I'm 26) and it doesn't seem fun thinking I won't be able to go out and just have one, but I know if it happened I'd go down the scary path of alcoholism again, and I neeeevvvverrrrrrr want to do that again!
Old 08-11-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

The truth is Dorian that most not only know that you will be back, we hope and pray that you do come back because we've all been exactly where you are right now....

and when you do, we'll be here and we won't judge and we will understand.

Please take care.