Notices

33 days sober - reflections

Old 07-19-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

33 days sober - reflections

well, as the title says, i have 33 days today.

i cannot believe i have done this. my final weekend of drinking, i thought i had lost everything. my drinking was out of control. my husband was away on business, and my daughter's father took her from me for the weekend after she came home from school on the friday to find me passed out drunk on the sofa.

it truly was a lost weekend. i drank constantly. i didn't eat, or shower. i would pass out, come to long enough to top up then pass out again. i went to the store drunk, to buy more vodka. i fed all the change i had scrounged up into the checkout machine, only to have to call an assistant to remove the litre bottle i was attempting to buy so i could swap it for a smaller one, as i was 20p short.

by sunday night i was vomiting and hallucinating. on the monday, my daughter came home from her dad's and wouldn't even look at me. once she was off to school, i texted my husband to tell him what had happened, checked into a hotel and spent the night sober - still vomiting and hallucinating.

i knew that was the end. i had to choose - my life or the bottle.

i chose life.

it hasn't been easy. my daughter has been showing signs of emotional distress. her father took her to the doctor yesterday, and that brave, beautiful girl told them everything that had happened. the doctor asked my ex-husband if he wanted to involve social services. he said no; that i was sober and he had faith in me.

i am starting an outpatient therapy group next week. i am free from the obsession with alcohol, free from lying, hiding bottles. free from spending every penny i have, still worrying it won't be 'enough' booze. i am emotionally present for my daughter, and i see the relief in her face every day i don't drink.

my husband today gave me a beautiful diamond eternity ring, to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary next month, and also to celebrate my sobriety.

i have to hold on to the lessons i have learned. i cannot afford to be complacent. i take it one day at a time.

i could have lost my daughter. her father would have had every right to take full custody. and, i would have used that as an excuse to drink myself to death. this isn't dramatising, it's what i would have done.

i am so grateful to have been given this chance. a huge part of this beginning of my recovery is down to the friendship and support i have found here on SR.

it's not an easy ride, but i believe we are all fighting alongside one another to be the best that we can be.

thank you all.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm 1 day behind you, we can do this! Girl power not so? Hugs to you Chick :-)
Old 07-19-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
now's the time

Congratulations on choosing life! You are doing great.

Is your daughter going to therapy? A good friend of mine was in similar situations with his mother when we were in high school... I wish he'd had some support to help him process it. It's a lot for a kid.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
jkb

Your story made me feel very grateful. for sharing that. What a difference a month makes....
Old 07-19-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 33 days sober! I'm glad things are going well for you.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That must have been...harrowing for you to write. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Congratulations on this new and fragile life. I very much appreciate being here on this journey with you.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're a star ippo x
Old 07-19-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ippochick View Post
well, as the title says, i have 33 days today.

i cannot believe i have done this. my final weekend of drinking, i thought i had lost everything. my drinking was out of control. my husband was away on business, and my daughter's father took her from me for the weekend after she came home from school on the friday to find me passed out drunk on the sofa.

it truly was a lost weekend. i drank constantly. i didn't eat, or shower. i would pass out, come to long enough to top up then pass out again. i went to the store drunk, to buy more vodka. i fed all the change i had scrounged up into the checkout machine, only to have to call an assistant to remove the litre bottle i was attempting to buy so i could swap it for a smaller one, as i was 20p short.

by sunday night i was vomiting and hallucinating. on the monday, my daughter came home from her dad's and wouldn't even look at me. once she was off to school, i texted my husband to tell him what had happened, checked into a hotel and spent the night sober - still vomiting and hallucinating.

i knew that was the end. i had to choose - my life or the bottle.

i chose life.

it hasn't been easy. my daughter has been showing signs of emotional distress. her father took her to the doctor yesterday, and that brave, beautiful girl told them everything that had happened. the doctor asked my ex-husband if he wanted to involve social services. he said no; that i was sober and he had faith in me.

i am starting an outpatient therapy group next week. i am free from the obsession with alcohol, free from lying, hiding bottles. free from spending every penny i have, still worrying it won't be 'enough' booze. i am emotionally present for my daughter, and i see the relief in her face every day i don't drink.

my husband today gave me a beautiful diamond eternity ring, to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary next month, and also to celebrate my sobriety.

i have to hold on to the lessons i have learned. i cannot afford to be complacent. i take it one day at a time.

i could have lost my daughter. her father would have had every right to take full custody. and, i would have used that as an excuse to drink myself to death. this isn't dramatising, it's what i would have done.

i am so grateful to have been given this chance. a huge part of this beginning of my recovery is down to the friendship and support i have found here on SR.

it's not an easy ride, but i believe we are all fighting alongside one another to be the best that we can be.

thank you all.

You have two good men in your life and a very brave daughter...what a blessing! SO much to live for...all the best in your continuing journey.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

congratulation on your hard work.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is wonderful. You are on a great track. Keep fighting the good fight. You have many who support your mission, and I am very happy that you made a turn around. Great job!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 33 days!!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 33 days. Stick with it!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Ippochick, 33 days sober? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is SOOOO inspiring to read.

It gives me hope so thank you and congratulations on 33 days sober!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm working toward my own 33. Good on you for reaching yours!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

ipppochick

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-19-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

fantail - my daughter has been offered therapy and is giving it some thought. she is 13, which is a difficult age enough without the heartache i've put her through.

her dad has been amazing. we've been divorced 10 years, and it hasn't always been easy. but when he came over last night, he said he had no problem turning down social services intervention, that he knew i could quit as i'd done it so easily when i was pregnant with our daughter, and that i was proving i am not like my own mother as i have acknowledged my problem and am taking steps to address it.

i am so, so lucky - to have a wonderful daughter and husband, and an ex-husband who is rooting for me to succeed.

and you lovely lot, of course.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Ippochick, good work on the 33 days. I would copy and keep this post as a reminder to yourself of how bad things were, how far you have come, how much inner strength you have shown and how much love and faith the loved ones in you life have in you

Well done sweetie
Old 07-19-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm on day 29! Thank you for sharing your story! You are amazing, and we can all do this together! Rob Lowe has been sober for 28 years. He says simply "it works if you work it". A simple statement yet so true and really sums it up that we all must just keep working it day by day! have a great weekend!
Old 07-19-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Ippo - and thanks for the post. Inspirational

D