Notices

Pet peeve

Old 07-12-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pet peeve

I enjoy reading the newcomer's forum, but I've noticed that occasionally newcomers post extremely long paragraphs which are difficult to read. In fact, I never read them which I'm sure is my loss. I figure why should I spend the time formatting posts to make them easier to read? That's the original poster's job.

Anyway, it's a minor issue; I just thought I'd post a reminder since the majority of newcomers probably don't read the Policies, Rules & Posting Tips (myself included) until they've been here awhile.

From Policies, Rules & Posting Tips

General Posting Tips

Please break up your posts with paragraphs. Typing a 400 word run-on sentence is very difficult to read. Your posts are important and members will likely skip over what you have to say if your posts are hard to read.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I see this too and it frustrates me as I don't want to read a huge block of text. I think in some cases they may type it up on something else and then copy and paste and then it loses the format.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yea sorry that is exactly what happened to me earlier That and my fingers got carried away ...
Old 07-12-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
iwh

i chuckled a bit when i read that & it's time appropriate for me.

i've been trying to get in on some discussions, but some of the huge paragraphs and responses have been way too much for me to read.

but people are looking for help & maybe it is helpful for them to write like that.

i have some concern with all of this talk of purity on your name & tagline. it's a good goal to have, but is this possible?

thanks
Old 07-12-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Newcomers are newcomers. I imagine sometimes their state can be rather desperate and jumbled and therefore don't have the wherewithall to read policies and procedures. I suppose this is a good reminder but I tend to lean toward compassion towards those who don't know the "rules". They are showing up...perhaps its the best they can do at the time.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Newcomers are newcomers. I imagine sometimes their state can be rather desperate and jumbled and therefore don't have the wherewithall to read policies and procedures. I suppose this is a good reminder but I tend to lean toward compassion towards those who don't know the "rules". They are showing up...perhaps its the best they can do at the time.
I'd side with Dawn on this. A reminder never hurts, but I'd hate to discourage someone from posting here who really needs help because they are afraid of being scolded/admonished for grammar or post formatting.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

They are showing up...perhaps its the best they can do at the time.
Nicely put

I was scared as hell the first time I came here and was sure everyone would criticise what I wrote. Maybe if you don't like reading long posts you could go and read something else?
Old 07-12-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think the OP means well... by suggesting people break up their posts a bit... it only encourages others to read what they might ordinarily pass over in frustration. It's a good suggestion.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I think the OP means well... by suggesting people break up their posts a bit... it only encourages others to read what they might ordinarily pass over in frustration. It's a good suggestion.
I hear what you're saying. I'm thinking that "helpful hint newcomers" rather than "pet peeve" might digest a little easier. There's a whole lot of fragile feelings here.
As Huxley notes...you don't have to read it..BUT if one person reads it and comments they have found a helping hand and empathic ears If you don't want to read all the way through...well a simple "welcome" is pretty wonderful.

I remember Nefermichael (apologies if I got that wrong) responded to my first post with "you are fantastic"...twas music to my ears : )
Old 07-12-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm thinking that "helpful hint newcomers" rather than "pet peeve" might digest a little easier.
Touche. Agreed
Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
iwh

yes, it's a only 'tip'/suggestion. i have read many a long paragraph and found them helpful as well.

my own reading skills, attention span and patience have a lot to do with it.

some people really are pouring there heart out when they do that.

it is a good tip though that encourages responses and makes it accessible to more people.

sometimes you really only want a few responses from those that will really take the time with you.

so, it's all good and worth consideration, we come here and share a common problem.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
iwh

everytime i type something here lately and hit send there are other comments that were not there before i started typing. that's a pet peeve not able to solve.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Touche. Agreed
I second that!! Well put, Nuudawn!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A lot of newcomers are in free-fall, and many don't have any sense of developed coping skills. This leads to "snowballing" posts - rarely does someone join and say "I have a problem with alcohol" and leave it at that. They have a problem with their husband, a DUI, kids, job, school, and friends too, and once they spiral into wormhole it all starts growing as it rolls downhill.

I would also say, to play Devil's Advocate, that I often find newcomers' posts to be quite lacking in the important details. Someone might say "I drink too much, what can I do?" - in which case, I frankly have no idea what to tell them, because I do not know the nature of their habit, their age, their sex, location, or DOC.

Newcomers are gonna be newcomers, and haters are gonna hate. Some will figure it out, some won't, just like sobriety. Sure it would be nice if we all wrote in nice paragraphs, but alcoholics in the full throes of addiction aren't exactly Bill Shakespeare.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
I would also say, to play Devil's Advocate, that I often find newcomers' posts to be quite lacking in the important details. Someone might say "I drink too much, what can I do?" - in which case, I frankly have no idea what to tell them, because I do not know the nature of their habit, their age, their sex, location, or DOC.
And I second that Sombrero....
Old 07-12-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

So what do you do with people like me who break things into paragraphs but each of those is a novel?

Seriously, I love this place so much my fingers get going and before I know it I've written a book. Don't mean to do it. it just happens.

I'm so thankful that this place is here.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
I think we can all agree that different people will introduce themselves differently. For some it's a fire hydrant and for others it's a trickle. Maybe it's up to us as supporting members to draw out those things that will help us to help the newcomer?
Cheers,
cas
Old 07-12-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
So what do you do with people like me who break things into paragraphs but each of those is a novel?

Seriously, I love this place so much my fingers get going and before I know it I've written a book. Don't mean to do it. it just happens.

I'm so thankful that this place is here.
Type away. The length of a post has never bothered me. You want to let it out, let it out.

It is the wall of text. Where paragraphs and sentences just run into each other with no break at all. I do try to read them but it can get frustrating. At times I quote them just so I can break them apart to read them then go back to the thread and post if after reading it all I can help in anyway or just welcome them. I hate to just say welcome with no back up message. That seems so dry.

I do agree with bigsombrero about tiny posts that don't give much information but they bother me less then the wall of text. At least with those I can jump in and ask a couple questions to see if they can offer more details. If they don't then they don't. At least I can welcome them.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Meh. I start new paragraphs where new paragraphs aren't even warranted. I am also the master of run on sentences, random punctuation, and a host of other junk.

I wouldn't be surprised if some members get whiplash after reading some of my posts.

So, I am officially complaining about myself.

Paragraphs are nice but so overrated in the scheme of things. Anyway, yeah that's my thoughts on the matter.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Received View Post
Meh. I start new paragraphs where new paragraphs aren't even warranted. I am also the master of run on sentences, random punctuation, and a host of other junk.

I wouldn't be surprised if some members get whiplash after reading some of my posts.

So, I am officially complaining about myself.

Paragraphs are nice but so overrated in the scheme of things. Anyway, yeah that's my thoughts on the matter.
It looks to me like you broke up that post pretty good...lol