Notices

Pet peeve

Old 07-13-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you get a PC soon Junegirl - cell phone text drives me batty
Old 07-13-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

wow - I was just going to post my life story so I could get some suggestions - but not now. How about "I have no life, no family and it seems no friends. My husband left me, my dog died and I quit drinking - now I just feel the pain all the time. What to do and where to go?"
Old 07-13-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

My very first post was one just like you described, wanttobepure.....

When I was writing it out, I used the only computer skills I have, and tried to add spaces between the paragraphs. I intended it to look that way, but since it was my very first post, I had no idea what it would look like after I pressed "post".

I got a helpful private message from someone here telling me I should break up my paragraphs like this. So after some trial and error, I found out how to do it.

Thanks to some special members of this forum who made me feel welcome; I felt pretty vulnerable sharing my private life with strangers, that's not my typical style.

Maybe just try and open your mind to the fact that there are people from all different backgrounds and skill levels. Just send them a welcome, and give them a chance to learn?

There's so much useful info on this site..... sometimes it's a bit overwhelming to try and navigate it.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newatthis34 View Post
Can I add another irritant?

It drives me nuts when people quote the whole post that someone wrote instead of picking out the relevant bits. Particularly if it was a long post - takes ages to scroll down sometimes and it really adds little to the conversation. Just sayin'...
Hey New(and others) how do you do this, in plain English?!
I keep trying, can't seem to master it.

Agree with you, btw, you only need to quote the salient bits of a post if that's what you're going to refer to.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by kc1956 View Post
wow - I was just going to post my life story so I could get some suggestions - but not now. How about "I have no life, no family and it seems no friends. My husband left me, my dog died and I quit drinking - now I just feel the pain all the time. What to do and where to go?"
And this is exactly what we don't want to happen. Post your story, people will read it. Don't let this deter you from posting here or writing the way YOU want to.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
~sb

I sometimes highlight parts of those long paragraphs when I read them so I don't get lost....

my posts often have short "paragraphs" with lots of breaks and I wondered if that was annoying, too....

Have an awesomely sober day/night everyone!
Old 07-13-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by kc1956 View Post
The stories of Newcomers are always welcome here regardless of some of us who might be having cranky days

I spend a lot of time here and I'm not the only one - Anna and all the other mods do too, and a large number of you guys, day after day....we do it because we really do care and want to hear your story.

We want to help

Because I don't want anyone else to be put off sharing I think we've explored this ventfest long enough.

thanks everyone.

D