Notices

Pet peeve

Old 07-12-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Newcomers are ALWAYS welcome and it doesn't matter how their initial posts are formatted. I remember when I stopped drinking and I could barely do the basics of getting through the day. If a member is in pain and in need and types a long-running paragraph, I'm perfectly fine with that. My purpose is to help the person in need and that we, as a group, can offer them some understanding. The format of the post is a distant second to that.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
iwh

i realize a lot of this discussion is petty, but helpful.

at times, i do notice the popularity contest, the 'this is how we do it 'round here' conformity in small matters of style and a presence of people with much experience in these issues helping those with little and harboring some superiority in that way, but don't ever forget that the field is way more expanded than we can see.

the world of recovery sometimes gets narrow minded and unhelpful to me, but i like being part of the community and that is helpful for me.

as mentioned, this is more of a pet peeve discussion rather than helping some major issue thread.

wantobepure, any thoughts?
Old 07-12-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
iwh

yikes, i just typed that while anna sent hers, this keeps happening to me.

face palm again.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Let us remember not everyone can type well, has an English degree and is 100% sound in the thinking department. Besides it's one of those things very difficult to change. BE WELL
Old 07-12-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's also good to remember sometimes people are posting on phones - I dunno about other people but the formatting issues there drive me insane.

People come here desperate - that's the bottom line.

If you can't be bothered to read their story - move on.
There are lots of us here who will.

D
Old 07-12-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I believe that posting from smart phones is part of the reason for one long paragraph. I'm guessing it's a little more difficult to format posts when done on a small screen.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by wanttobepure View Post
I enjoy reading the newcomer's forum, but I've noticed that occasionally newcomers post extremely long paragraphs which are difficult to read. In fact, I never read them which I'm sure is my loss. I figure why should I spend the time formatting posts to make them easier to read? That's the original poster's job.

Anyway, it's a minor issue; I just thought I'd post a reminder since the majority of newcomers probably don't read the Policies, Rules & Posting Tips (myself included) until they've been here awhile.

From Policies, Rules & Posting Tips

General Posting Tips

Please break up your posts with paragraphs. Typing a 400 word run-on sentence is very difficult to read. Your posts are important and members will likely skip over what you have to say if your posts are hard to read.
Good grief. You've got people coming on here at their wits end and you want to remind them about their formatting? Seriously?
Old 07-12-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I

will

read

you

friend

Old 07-12-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Nuudawn
I remember Nefermichael (apologies if I got that wrong) responded to my first post with "you are fantastic"...twas music to my ears : )
Love me some neferkamichael...
Old 07-12-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Not that I'd want to discourage newcomers from posting any way they can, especially if they're in distress, but some of us are struggling with significant vision loss (on top of being an alkie! Sucks to be me! ) and the "wall of text" is literally painful to read.

Maybe it's time for me to look into the assistive devices...but until then, the paragraphs and those lovely double-spaced centered sentences from mountainmanbob (I love that guy) are much appreciated.

Having said all this, it's nice that there will always be someone here to give that encouraging welcome to someone, no matter what the post looks like. It's why this place rocks!

June
Old 07-12-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Junegirl View Post
Not that I'd want to discourage newcomers from posting any way they can, especially if they're in distress, but some of us are struggling with significant vision loss (on top of being an alkie! Sucks to be me! ) and the "wall of text" is literally painful to read.
I think the last thing on someone's mind when they are posting is proper paragraphs, spelling, grammar etc.

If you are having trouble reading a post copy it into note pad and just insert your own paragraphs or you can use your mouse to highlight the first part, then the second part etc. I have done this.

Turn the negativity into a positive thing. It doesn't hurt to think outside the box as I can turn pet peeves into something bigger, which for me, is not good.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have vision problems too - sometimes changing the font size helps

Tip: If you have a mouse with a wheel you can increase and decrease the size of your fonts in your browser by holding down the Ctrl key, and while continuing to hold down the key, move the mouse wheel up or down. Alternatively you can press and hold the Ctrl key and press either the + (plus) or - (minus) keys on the top of the keyboard to increase and decrease the font.
D
Old 07-13-2013, 12:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Off the walk the dog!! Fine sunny morning & sober!
Old 07-13-2013, 12:10 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

What better way to start the day. Looks lovely here in the south of uk! Saturday morning no hangover!
Old 07-13-2013, 02:04 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Night owl

I want to be supportive and welcoming to others but I too have hard time with the "wall of text" thing. It literally hurts my eyes and head and often keeps me from reading a post.

I am fairly inept on the computer and didn't know there were ways to change the format to make it eaiser to read. So thanks to all of you for the info. and suggestions!
Old 07-13-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Can I add another irritant?

It drives me nuts when people quote the whole post that someone wrote instead of picking out the relevant bits. Particularly if it was a long post - takes ages to scroll down sometimes and it really adds little to the conversation. Just sayin'...
Old 07-13-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Ladyinbc and Dee, I don't have a computer. I'm a single parent struggling to make ends meet (part of the stressor that made me drink...though I was wasting money on booze. Stupid, huh?)
Anyhoo, now that I'm not wasting money on booze I hope to get a new computer at some point...til then I have to make do with my phone. I probably should avoid being on the internet too much for my own good.
Thanks for the suggestions though. I do run a computer lab so I'm pretty good with computers. I can't use them for personal use at work and since they can monitor use, I wouldn't want to...

June
Old 07-13-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Grateful

I was lucky that I had a couple of weeks of sobriety when I got here. I can't imagine what my posts would have looked like on day one LOL. I know in my case, just hanging around here and reading allowed me to get a feel for how people posted. If I ran into a "wall of text" post that was hard to read, it was at that point I would realize that if I posted a "wall of text" it would also be hard to read (sometimes quickly...sometimes slowly ).
Old 07-13-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Junegirl View Post
Ladyinbc and Dee, I don't have a computer. I'm a single parent struggling to make ends meet (part of the stressor that made me drink...though I was wasting money on booze. Stupid, huh?)
Anyhoo, now that I'm not wasting money on booze I hope to get a new computer at some point...til then I have to make do with my phone. I probably should avoid being on the internet too much for my own good.
Thanks for the suggestions though. I do run a computer lab so I'm pretty good with computers. I can't use them for personal use at work and since they can monitor use, I wouldn't want to...

June
I hear you I was a single parent too. I don't think I could read this site on my phone it would be soooo tiny! LOL
Old 07-13-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Funny stuff!! Doesn't bother me.. These poor people are hurting most of the time and are trying to get something off their chest.. We're not writing a paper here.. Haha