Notices

Sober People -- Could you give a bit of inspiration?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

People trust me now...
I can look people in the eye.. without thinking what is the quickest way to betray them so I could get my drug of choice.
I have faith in myself... I haven't had that since I was a kid.
I have friends in recovery... and they rock!
I am just more grateful and centered in my ow skin..
Old 07-10-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Recovered

I can live in my own skin.
My life is not a facade.
I HAVE INTEGRITY.
I feel loved and have learned to love.
The terrorizing fear is gone.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I totally agree with this...however...

Originally Posted by losteverything View Post
When I was drinking, I was not living at all..it was like walking dead in a nightmare. I was confused, scared, incredibly selfish, suicidal, depressed, isolated...doing stupid things, and wanting to never wake up. I was so scared that life would be dull and boring without drinking...it took a few weeks of being sober to realize that the oppositie is in fact true. Drinking is incredibly boring, life is easier sober...
I have been sober over one year and much of the post above rings true for me although I was not suicidal (at least not consciously)...

The problem that I have is that for many years (before my life turned into the above) I was able to combine alcohol (wine was my choice) with many fulfilling activities (swimming, hiking, etc.) and still functioned just fine. Sometimes I really miss those days and wish that it did not have to be an "All or Nothing" scenario. I love feeling good when I wake up but sometimes towards the end of the day that "cold bottle of chardonnay" sounds really good! I immediately talk myself out of it though and think back to the anxiety, demons in my head (toward the end) and the crippling effect. I could not drive anywhere, screwed up job interviews and even a job offer in my last few months of drinking. Withdrawals were hell on earth and on top of that I had to sit around with my head racing in my own "crap"!

Still...sometimes I wonder if I am truly living now...or am I just going through the motions? I have been working on a lot of positive changes in the last 14 months but things have not quite paid off yet...In the meantime, at least I feel better and am not creating yet more wreckage!

Good luck!! And keep going...
Old 07-10-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Alcohell to me is boring dull repetitive , same old thing over and over drink get a little buzz , get wasted , hungover spend half a week recovering.

Liberating ones self from this sheep like condition that afflicts the masses is the greatest thing I have ever done.

Done lots of events now, BBQs Partys, partys with Free bars etc etc, early days felt kind of strange but still enjoyable , the most recent events I have really enjoyed yep even enjoyed more than when I was drugging ooops sorry I mean drinking.

Its a state of mind.

Sober is cool.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Dark days is right...sober is so cool.

I'm not a puppet to my addiction anymore. Nothing controls me. It's badass. Completely.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I've found a peacefulness and serenity that comes with sobriety.I'm much much calmer and not everything is high drama. I can sleep at night ,real proper sleep and not worrying about what I did/said etc. I feel refreshed.Each day brings new possibilities and joy instead of fear,shame and loathing. I did not know how I would live without alcohol. Now I don't know how I lived with it. I wasn't living life,just existing and being miserable,numbing my emotions. That wasn't joy,happiness,fun or pleasure,just despair really. Life is life,there are bad days,upsand downs but I can cope with them sober.Give it a try,it's worth it
Old 07-10-2013, 10:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I think for me...I would say I am going to do it....NOT, I don't know if I can. THAT is when you will! I thought I would miss it too....I have never experienced true peace as I have with sobriety.