Notices

Class of July 2013

Old 07-08-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I'm quite certain that Dee has suggested urge surfing to this class at some point this month. He always does.

I've "heard" this advice multiple times and nodded my head, "yup, good idea, I'm gonna try that." But SO many times I found myself on auto-pilot already beyond the surfing stage and onto the bad decision "chuck it" stage. Thinking, "How in the blazes did that happen?!?"

I just noticed today that those urges crop up on a regular basis while I'm at work, but I ignore them. After all, I'm not considering drinking now, I'm considering a drink later. Like having this idea is my mini-oasis. Bad idea! Because I am pretty sure that stuffing it now is what makes it seem like these urges just pounce on me later. When really, they've been needling at me periodically throughout my workday.

I just had to share because I'll bet some of the rest of y'all all read good urge-stuffers too. Until you can cut loose.

Thanks, Dee!!!
Old 07-08-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Administrator

no problem

guys I'm a little ill at the moment so apologies for the fly by - hope to be back at full strength soon.

D
Old 07-08-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Day 3 has passed.

Couldn't sleep until 4 am last night, woke up around noon bit dizzy. Went out to the park to be under the sun, read a book (Drinking, a Love Story) and later on helped with my friend to move in next door.

We soon smoked a joint which made me a bit nervous before. I knew that marijuana was a trigger for me, but also knew that I can handle the occasional anxiety, I won't get that anxious. It was fine, it was relaxing and I stayed in a pretty good mood.

I could also realise the moments when I would normally take a sip of a drink, the emotional or physical triggers, but I did something else instead. Took a sip of water, had an apple, smoked a cigarette, consumed something less harmful. My friend rarely drinks, and I feel really comfortable with him, so it's okay, but I will definitely stay away from weed in other social settings.

I also like weed as it lets me observe myself from a slightly different perspective. I believe occasional use could be beneficial for my recovery from alcohol.

After all it was a great day, did a little physical activity as well lifting up furniture, walking up stairs, etc... Now I'm gonna listen to a CBT audiobook.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

5 mins away from day 6. Been applying for graduate jobs all day, there are so many applying for so few it's hard to get an opportunity, and no other recruiters will touch you without experience.

Ill keep trying good night all
Old 07-08-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Evening of day 6.
I filled the car before hitting the highway for my first WFS meeting. Wasn't feeling good, edgy, cravings today.
After an hour, listening to traffic and weather reports about flash flooding, traffic gridlock, cars hydro planing right in the area i was headed to, I decided it was best to turn around and head home.

I'm disappointed. I was struggling on the way home with the thought of "ok, so now I have the chance to hit the liquor store". Man, this sucks. Ok, breathe, almost done today.
Tomorrow is another day...
Old 07-08-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Hi all, feeling emotionally drained tonight. Had a rough day/evening. Felt really down and emotional all day and just had a good cry in the shower. 3 yr old has been unusually difficult and husband ticked me off last night so just feeling very frustrated. If there had been wine or vodka in the house tonight it would have been all over (probably why I don't keep it here haha). Going to try and go to bed early. Tomorrow is a new day
Old 07-08-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Day 9 here. Cravings hit earlier but I didn't give in. I don't think I could do this without this group and just want to thank everyone for sharing your stories. I don't feel so alone.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
no problem

guys I'm a little ill at the moment so apologies for the fly by - hope to be back at full strength soon.

D
Hope you feel better soon Dee!
Old 07-08-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Checking in again. I really like to write, so I hope I don't bug people by posting too much Just wanted to say how grateful I am to be sober for Day 4. Right now we are making dinner, something I couldn't imagine without wine or scotch before. I am actually alert and not slurring my words or getting into an argument about stupid stuff ("what do you mean the carrots aren't peeled right?!!!") For some bizarre reason, I am not even tempted right now. Well, I did buy some special juice and am drinking it in a wine glass. It's important to feel I have something pretty--and also tastes great. See you all tomorrow. It is great to see so many people just starting or starting over. Cheers to us.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Well I had a horrible day. Basically a mistake was made by my partner on something so I'm pretty sure we are suspended for 45 days which means no new business for 45 days. This is pretty awful, there's still a chance we are okay I will know more in the morning. Please say a prayer for me.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

New to SR. Day 5 for me. Haven't been to Day 6 for 11 years. Looks like I'm going to make it.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Looks like a number of us have had a pretty difficult day, sorry too, Dee, that you're not feeling well.
Fingers crossed for you, Lunetta.
Yes, Ladybug, on to tomorrow, and I agree with you, no booze in the house is best.

I was thinking a pic of the "soup Nazi" would be cool for my avatar, only he's saying "no booze for you"!! (jk)
Old 07-08-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post

I was thinking a pic of the "soup Nazi" would be cool for my avatar, only he's saying "no booze for you"!! (jk)
Haha, that would be great, Leshar!

Hope everything turns out OK, Lunetta.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Welcome, Stewie, and great job on making it to Day 6!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Had a little bit of a bad day.

My SO fought with me nonstop after work and usually by day 3 of no drinking I would have chose to drink tonight-- it would feel relaxing to me initially and also cause me to apologize and back down from anything going on between me and SO. I didnt drink or apologize for anything that wasnt my fault.

I went grocery shopping with 2 of my kids, 5 years old and 9. I had a headache the entire time and started feeling convinced my blood pressure was sky high. I have no idea why I start being panicky about health concerns. It feels so horribly scary though.

I have read that you dont break bad habits.. you replace them. So I decided earlier that I'd 'obsess' on good eating/ exersizing/ losing weight/ getting healthy/ moving and finding a place and job if my BF wont quit. I have a LOT to concentrate on!

So- we came home from grocery shopping and I juiced up a juice and made me and the kids some yummy veggie sandwiches.

Lifes good!

Oh, and my brother, who abuses alcohol, and lives in my basement, came in from work and asked me if I was really quitting. I said yes. He said he will too (because i said me and the kids will not live in a house with drinkers anymore and that means several different outcomes could happen- one being that I might need to move).
Old 07-08-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stewie070413 View Post
New to SR. Day 5 for me. Haven't been to Day 6 for 11 years. Looks like I'm going to make it.
Day 6 today for me too Stewie! I'm leaving that drunk and reckless life behind, not looking back for more than a reminder of who I used to be. Onward!!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by niijikwe View Post
I have no idea why I start being panicky about health concerns. It feels so horribly scary though.
I have the same thing. I could get a panic attack from every stupid small thing. In the beginning I went to the ER a few times, it felt so real. I figured regular cardio exercise helps a lot.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Day 2

I'm finally on Day 2. Yesterday was a horrible, achy, shaky and sweaty day. I don't want to have to do that again. Today I feel a little scared. I guess that I will take a while to get through the anxiety phase. I'm hoping for a healthier life and feel one step closer.

Grateful places like this exist.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:45 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

I am starting day 9 for me today, lets hope its a better day for me. Work last night was actually ok its just being at home im having a problem with.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:28 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Starting another Day 1. Caved yesterday....