Notices

Class of July 2013

Old 07-01-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of July 2013

This is the thread of support for anyone quitting drink or drugs in July 2013...please join us

Welcome!
D

The old June 2013 thread is now in the Daily Support Forum here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-pt-4-a-4.html
Old 07-01-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I thought I'd pop in to offer encouragement to those quitting drinking (or drugging) this month. I unsuccessfully tried moderation, before quitting alcohol altogether a year ago. I can barely believe it's been over a year.....see....it's very possible
Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Here I am joining another class, but with rock solid determination. My story is a long one, with lots of drinking, some periods of sobriety (which, by the way were the BEST times of my life) and tons of life lessons along the way. But what is important this time is that my best friend passed away two weeks ago, the absolute hardest loss of my life. I drowned my sadness in alcohol, telling myself she would understand, because she too had a drinking problem (that's not what led to her passing though). She was the only person with whom I have ever confided in and admitted my drinking problems to 100% (besides here on SR), as I knew she understood completely and held no judgment.

I know that she is watching over me and rooting for me to lead a sober life, as that is the only way for me to go to live happily and freely.

Last night, after a few beers, I handled a typical teenage situation with my daughter poorly- screaming and not making any sense. As a single mother, there is nothing more important than for me to be able to handle these situations calmly, rationally, and sober. It's hard enough as it is, without the fuel of alcohol making things worse.

Anyway, I am back to day one, and looking forward to being active on this board on others on SR. I know that we are each ultimately responsible for our own choices and behavior but I also know how well documented it is that a support system is also critical for success. Even though I have had some short periods of sobriety, I also have tons of empty promises to myself and out loud here on SR. They are embarrassing but I know that walking away from this board because of my failures would be the worst thing that I could do.

Any day is a great day to get sober, but a new month just seems to make it more official to me. So here we go, Happy July to all of us as we start with today, or any day this month to stay sober.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm from the June class and am here to support all of you who join in July. Joining the June class was the best thing I ever did for myself. Keeps me accountable and sober. You will find a multitude of experience and strength, so keep posting and reading. Blessings and strength to all of you.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well FABL. Here I am in a very similar situation to you. I think since joining in Feb this year the only class i've not been a member of is April, probably because I was too drunk to even remember April! I lost my Mum three weeks ago suddenly in a road accident. I had been going okay, managed to reach 34 days, my longest yet but I guess I kind of lost my way. I'm not using what happened as an excuse as I had this website and in particular my March 2013 friends to run straight to cyberspace to but in the end I didn't. Then I guess I used every excuse, "i've travelled thousands of miles home", "it's a very stressful event", "it's a wake so what else am I supposed to do", "I need to get some sleep", "i'm on a plane and it's free" blah blah blah...........let's face it, in the end I just wanted to drink.

It's after midnight here now and so I guess tomorrow is once again Day 1!......i'm practically bored listening to myself say it. I don't want anymore Day 1's. I look forward to meeting the rest of my dry July and on classmates.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I logged 26 days (not continuous) of sobriety in June. That feels kinda good. But I wanna feel really good and commit to continuous in July.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am an alcoholic. There is no truer statement I could make today. I tell myself lies and I believe them. I let my emotions get the better of me and I drink. That is what I do.

God please let today be the last sobriety date I ever have to remember.

It's just a few weeks short of year that has passed since I went inpatient last summer for alcohol. I can't believe I've wasted almost a whole year.

Time to suit up & show up as they say in AA. I can't let this merry go round be my life anymore.

Welcome fellow July friends!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Hi , lifetplant , So sorry to hear. I'm glad to meet you and sending prayers for strength
Old 07-01-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I joined the April class, but slipped up twice. Decided to try again and joined the May class. I was sober for 47 days (May 6 - June 22). After a small slip 2 Sat's ago I went another 6 days and then slipped, again, last Sat. Ugh. So, this Thursday would have been 60 days, but today I am back on Day 2. I loved how I felt during those 47 days and want to get there again. Hoping to make July the first of many continuous sober months. Let's all help each other get there
Old 07-01-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi all, I joined a class before and posted from time to time, but haven't made it more than two weeks or so. Probably have spent about 1/3 of the year abstaining and the rest drinking too much. I'm trying again; day 1
Old 07-01-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I was in the May class, had 18 days sober then decided to drink. I had some 2 or 3 day stretches of not drinking since then but I don't want to ever drink again. I just bought Rational Recovery and am going to follow the AVRT method and post in here more often. I want to change and regain control over my life. It's so frustrating. I stopped eating oranges because they give me pimples so why can't I stop drinking when I know it's killing me?! I know it's because it's an addiction but I guess I'm not used to feeling so helpless over something. So another Day 1 just about in the books. I want it to be the last Day 1 ever.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Blubbie, I remember seeing you from the May class. Good to see you back
Old 07-01-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sounds like this is not the first time around for most of us so far. As my day is winding down, I am looking forward to a nice sober night's sleep, one of my most favorite parts of not drinking. I think we all know by now that the first few days are the most difficult, since we don't have much or any time under our belts yet and it's easy to just decide to start another day instead.
A little bored, as I always am at first. I drink mostly alone, and in my warped thinking it makes mundane tasks and evenings more interesting. In reality, I get nothing done, get lazy, get loopy, and feel like crap the next day.
This feels so much better already
Old 07-01-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello Class of July,

I'm Ken a member of the March class, good to see you've found us and for those coming in from other classes, great that you are still trying!!!

If I can do this anybody can, find out what plan works best for you and stay with it.

This site is GREAT! You can find lots of good info and tons of support.

Again, Welcome and Stay Strong!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Sounds like this is not the first time around for most of us so far. As my day is winding down, I am looking forward to a nice sober night's sleep, one of my most favorite parts of not drinking. I think we all know by now that the first few days are the most difficult, since we don't have much or any time under our belts yet and it's easy to just decide to start another day instead.
A little bored, as I always am at first. I drink mostly alone, and in my warped thinking it makes mundane tasks and evenings more interesting. In reality, I get nothing done, get lazy, get loopy, and feel like crap the next day.
This is me too. I convince myself cleaning the bathroom would be so much better if I have a few drinks but the next day, the bathroom remains untouched.

Hi, ladybug! Nice to see you
Old 07-01-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
I could have written this myself, FBL. One of my favorite parts about not drinking is how good I sleep. And, you are so right about the the first few days being the hardest. My AV keeps trying to tell me I can just start over tomorrow since I only have 2 days. Towards the end I was hiding my drinking and doing it alone so I can relate to that one too. Ugh, I hate the first few days But, I did this to myself. I will remember this feeling next time I think about having a drink. At least we came back, though, right?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Blubbie View Post
This is me too. I convince myself cleaning the bathroom would be so much better if I have a few drinks but the next day, the bathroom remains untouched.

Hi, ladybug! Nice to see you
Haha, been there, done that. I used to love to drink and clean. Problem is the cleaning never got done
Old 07-01-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Dee and others, thanks for starting July. (As Dee knows, it's already part way through July 2nd here in the Southern Hemi).

I'm really unsure as to which class I should be in. I only just joined June's crew a few days ago...and have already made a few good connections, trading stories etc. Dee, I don't know what to do, especially - as you know, because I'm too honest for my own good - because I'm still drinking, but trying to get a day 1 each day.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi July Friends!
Just wanted to pop in and say hi and wish you all the best on the start of your new life!
You can do it!

Shoes
Old 07-01-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

shoes was reading my mind!

hi guys, this is wehav2day. I picked this name for two reasons. one, it couldn't be much more different from my real name :-). and two, because we DO have today! just wanted to pop by and say hello!

you have today, tomorrow, and if you like that you have the whole day after that. many of you already know how good it feels to have a few 24 hours under your belt. I am happy to wish you a fun, sober month of july.

oh, and that mean a sober 4th of july, for those of you who are American. just remember that fizzy water tastes better than beer, is a whole lot cheaper, and won't make us do dumb things with fireworks. take care and we are all rooting for you!