Notices

Still in shock...

Old 06-23-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Be prepared he's going to beg and plead and promise it will never happen again. He will tell you how sorry he is and give him one more chance. He will say that he's willing to do anything to save the relationship. I know I was the one doing the begging and pleading. I meant it at the time but alcohol always pulled me back. it was not until I had been sober for a significant period of time that I could be trusted at all
Old 06-23-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Be prepared he's going to beg and plead and promise it will never happen again. He will tell you how sorry he is and give him one more chance. He will say that he's willing to do anything to save the relationship. I know I was the one doing the begging and pleading. I meant it at the time but alcohol always pulled me back. it was not until I had been sober for a significant period of time that I could be trusted at all
Thank you for your honesty I'm not sure what to expect really... He could come back with I'm a crazy b*tch and its over (apparently his history is to cut and run when the going gets tough) but he has stuck it out with me through several other arguments stemming from his alcohol abuse so... I just don't know.

I DO know it will be hard to stay strong because I love him but I have to love myself and my kids more
Old 06-23-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wolfpackfan45 View Post
Stay within your hula hoop and don't step out. Placing boundaries and taking care of yourself and your kids right now is the best thing you can do. Unfortunately he has to fix himself and you can't do that for him. If you can attend an Al Anon meeting please do so. They'll understand and help you.
I did look and found an al anon meeting tomorrow afternoon nearby so I'm going to go before the order is up and I need to deal with him. Hopefully, I can find some support and strength from that. I have never had man alcoholic in my life... Ever. So this is all very new to me. Just not sure what to do and how to manage the whole thing!
Old 06-23-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good for you for checking into Alanon! You seem to be very willing to listen and learn, and that will help you so much in dealing with the situation you are in right now.

I'd also like to second the suggestion to you about reading/posting in the "Family and Friends of Alcoholics" section of this forum, as I think you'll learn a lot there, especially about how much all alcoholics have in common. That might help keep you from taking things personally, to know that this is how some alcoholics act, and make it easier for you to do what you need to in order to keep yourself and kids safe.

Hope you do make it to that meeting; please post and let us know how it went, OK?
Old 06-23-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IsThisMe View Post
LOL It's an acronym for fly in, fly out. He was working on the mines in the goldfields of Western Australia. So he would fly out to work for 2 weeks and then fly in home for 1. Repeat.

Tough life. But he can get, and stay sober-however he has to do it. I believe there is a good person in him (if you want to understand this dichotomy read "Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde". You would live with Jekyl but be scared to death of Hyde.

He is Mr. Hyde right now, and you are right to distance yourself in any way possible. He is a danger to you, himself, anyone on the road...Al Anon is wonderful; it will help.

Meanwhile, be careful!!
Old 06-23-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Yep - not that we can read into the crystal ball and predict behaviour but what MIR wrote is exactly what happened to me. After several years of the promises, and wearing down and coming back to her, the hitting would start, attention seeking behaviour would start (fistful of pills down throat to get my attention), stalked, harassed, handguns purchased, etc....and she hated herself for not being able to follow through on her promises. That somehow made it worse -when she didn't actually laugh in my face when I was on the phone with a counseling trying to make us an appt. Very sad....all around. Scary as shhitt/

You seem to be very wise to what you need to do, for all of you. You must know that you are worth the effort to remove him from your life. He'll find his own way out of this, and probably will quicker on his own. I sometimes think how my GF may of gotten help had I managed to stay away from her. Rarely these days tho' do I think of her or then, only here at SR///....Sometimes, there is no going back. No fix. Just moving on.

My best to you and the kids. Good head on your shoulders...very inspiring.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Thank you, everyone for your responses. It sounds terrible but there is comfort in shared experiences and I appreciate everyone's advice/input.

After some very deep thought and hours of conversation with a friend who has been through a similar experience, I've made a decision.

He has to move out. For the physical, emotional and psychological safety of myself and my kids, not to mention the right we have to a peaceful and pleasant home. I'm not ready to eject him from my life completely (and am a bit nervous about his reaction to cutting ties completely - feel like easing into it is safer for all of us given the temper he displayed) but we cannot live together at least for now and possibly for good.

You are all so right. He needs to want help for HIMSELF and not just for us or to "keep the peace" or save the relationship. He can't do that here and I am not willing to take responsibility for "fixing" him. And the last thing I want is to enable him any more than I already have.

I am not afraid of being alone... I'm twice divorced already and I'm smart and capable and experience in going it on my own... All the more reason I can't believe I'm in this situation. I know it sounds cold but I made it clear from the beginning that in a fire I would use his body to dampen the flames to get to my kids. They come first... Always.

Doesn't make it any less painful or heartbreaking and I genuinely hope he finds the strength and right reasons to change. Reading through here has shown me that its not likely our relationship will survive this but I will, and maybe he will too in time.

The hard part is still to come.... Telling him once the restraining order is up in a way that is clear and leaves nomroom for argument.
Good, you made a decision, so please stick with it. Its for the best, and it may seem hard, but then you can go back to enjoying your life and feeling safe in your own home. Keep your guard up around him though, as alcoholics can be quite manipulative. I should know, I am one. Im very relieved you made the decision you did, and I wish you all the best.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

He is the most gentle, easy-going person I have ever met and the person
Are you sure about that? And you have children, do you really want to take a chance? This is something you need to give some very serious thought. IMO you're first priority should be your safety and your family's safety.