Notices

Day 23 check in

Old 06-21-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yea I can really relate to those snickers commercials if you have seen them. I am really proud of my self for getting to 23 days without smoking or drinking. I saw people smoking and I just thought hey that used to be me, but I don't do that anymore. I felt like I had matured in some way. It was really nice talking to the girl on the way home, we talked about her job and civil rights stuff, she was very smart and nice. I just have to get used to socializing with people sober. And my knee is better!! I am so happy I can exercise again, the past few days have been rough because I had to let my knee rest. Now I can take my walks but I will have to wait a while to run. I need to carry snacks with me too. My ex-gf used to say I had a "man period" when I wouldn't eat or when my hormones acted up once a month. Jesus.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
Still sober and cigarette free. Tempted today to start drinking, but I am going to study instead. Feeling very angry and depressed. Sobriety is not fun right now, makes me think I am mentally ill and not an alcoholic.
Your strength to quit BOTH at the same time is impressive. Sometimes I think you are needlessly tormenting yourself as a way of self punishment. This sounds bad, but if you do relapse on something.........go with the ciggs. No one gets a DUI or loses their life goals from smoking. You have 23 days and you cannot put too much stock into your thoughts and emotions right now, because they are all being fueled by withdrawal and your addictions raging like hell. It will pass, your emotions will level, and you will learn to trust yourself again. It takes time, but I think you can do it. I really think you can do it, and I rarely say that if I dont mean it.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you. I appreciate that from someone with years of sobriety. Getting older has really helped motivate me to change. I'm ready to start my career soon and I want to find a good person to marry and have a family with one day, and so I want to make my self ready for a healthy relationship. But I get ahead of my self. The cigarettes scare the hell out of me because I don't want to get throat cancer and stuff. But I agree, I have told my self if I give in to something because of stress I will use cigarettes or an ecig. Drinking is something I cannot do, I have memories of my last drinking episodes that I go through in my head. This is the longest I have gone and I hope to start getting out there and meeting people in yoga classes and stuff once this intensive course is over next week. I will have to study all this weekend and all next week but it will be over, and I can start to focus on volunteering and meeting people whose lives don't revolve around alcohol.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
While I agree with most of what Nuudawn says I don't believe it's true that the only two alternatives are isolating or sitting in a pub.

Like I just said to someone else - there's a million things to do on any given day - a good 900 thousand of them don't need to involve alcohol at all.

I have to agree with Miz too - you seem to be depressed a lot - are you resistant to getting help for that Acheleus?

D
First off ..so very glad you made it through today..and that you chatted with a girl! And that yes..you are going to investigate possible depression.

And sorry, I didn't mean that a pub was an alternative to drinking. He had just mentioned he had wanted to go listen to music which I assumed meant listen to a band. For me, I would find it dangerous to have to stop doing something I enjoyed like listening to bands or whatever because the common thought is avoid bars. It may have been poor to suggest..but as I say, my brain would hate to think I had to give up something I enjoyed to stay sober.