Notices

Has anyone else experienced itching with alcohol withdrawal?

Old 11-22-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome, and yes I also experienced the itching. Mainly at night and not as bad as some that have commented. I also experienced pins and needles in both hands mainly fingers
Old 12-21-2013, 11:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm so thankful to have stumbled across this! I never thought about that until tonight & realize that all of that itching had anything to do with trying to quit! I seriously though, oh it's because of the weather drying out my skin. The itching only happens at night when I'm tired or relaxed, but I'm itchy everywhere though. Just can't seem to sit still or to stop itching to fall asleep. Now it all makes perfect sense.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Really really glad that I found this thread. I've been having itchy sensations on my belly and chest for the last day or so. Was getting anxious that something else was going on.

On Day 4 of detox after 10 years of drinking...

THANK YOU!!!
Old 03-03-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hmmm. I itched in the beginning and because of this site knew it was related. I didn't realize it could continue, though. My feet have been so itchy, I wondered if I had gotten an infection. I get regular pedicures and there is no reason for them to be so dry and itchy. You would think they would be soft and smooth now that I've replace the alcohol with water!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Rar

I had horrid itching mostly on my arms. Actually, my itching would start during the night even before I quit drinking. In retrospect, I think it was the alcohol beginning to leave my system during the night. Anyway, when I stopped drinking entirely the itching got worse. I would scratch until my arms would bleed. The weather doesn't help, nor does it help that I swim in a chlorinated pool most days. Anyway, my doctor advised Benadryl, which helps quite allot. Also, to protect my skin from the chlorine and to soothe the irritation, I use Aquaphor, which is a petroleum based salve. (almost like using vaseline). I use that before swimming and at night. Any of the standard lotions didn't help at all.

I don't know if this works since I haven't tried it, but I read that if your skin itches badly and you can't break the scratch/itch cycle, to take a cloth soaked in milk and hold it over the itchy area for several minutes. It apparently reduces the inflammation and breaks the itch cycle. I have used ice cubes on my arms and run them under cold water. That sometimes breaks up the itch cycle for awhile.

I think much of my itching could have been anxiety related too.

It's miserable.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
No quitting on yer quit eh!

Me too! Lower back itched like crazy for the first few days....
Old 03-04-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I was very itchy for the first week and then my skin broke out like a teenagers. This all happened in the first month. It should calm down. Benadryl might help. All the best, you are doing well. It will get better.xxx
Old 03-04-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It is normal. I went through it for ,whole nights, scratching my back with something, as my hands could not reach there. But it was not big issue and just added more problem to my insomnia. It will pass.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I had itching too. My upper back and usually when I was laying in bed. I still have an itchy spot but my doctor told me yesterday that there is nothing there. It has gotten better.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

yes its driving me nuts

sober day 12, have been itching like crazy since my detox! starts at bed time on my upper arms, spreads to my back, than neck, up to jaw than face, to head , than to the bottom of my feet!! i did find that a shower without soaps helps, also i started to use a lotion bar on the bad spots, not the liquid lotion, good luck
Old 11-16-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Today is day 12. I have hives almost everywhere but not on my face. I bought generic Walgreens anti itch stuff ( watery pink "lotion") and take Walfinate. I use coconut oil and ingest primrose oil. I saw this post because I googled alcohol withdrawal and rash. My honey has been with me7 years and he thinks my rash is from new laundry soap. I wasn't sure. This is why I googled. I am glad I am here. Thank you. I don't know why I feel strong thus time I just do. I think the rash is withdrawal. I feel I earned it. I don't mind now that I've read all this. I am thankful.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Is this post making anyone else really itchy?!
Old 11-16-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
Is this post making anyone else really itchy?!
LOL! You just made my armpit itch, my left one! I itch something awful from my allergies sometimes too.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

have had bad itching before when withdrawing before
Felt like I needed a shower every 10 minutes and end up taking 7+ in a day!
Dont worry op, Knowing that it can happen when withdrawing should take away some of the anxiety, which makes withdrawing much worse (imo). Stay strong, it only gets easier from this point
Old 11-16-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Oh heck yes. I would get a terrible itchy face after a particularly massive binge. I would nearly have to wear gloves to stop scratching my face.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I had some very mild "trunk itching" (stomach, sides). Sometimes I would get a tingly feeling around my liver that kind of itched.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

My skin just gets very sore and tender all over. Lasts about four or five days.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:42 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Yeah, joining the itchy club!!! Had it mainly at night in bed and in a rather sensitive area!! Soon passed after a couple of weeks.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:13 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thank you for this thread. You know, when I quit drinking last month I was tormented with an insanely itchy foot for about a week - I didn't know what to make of it, but I scratched until it bled, it was the only way to get relief.

I had no idea that alcohol withdrawal can cause this. Now I know what was happening to me, I feel such a renewed sense of happiness that I got sober before it was too late. I hope your itching comes under control soon.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Ohh my god.. It's irresistible

After 6 years of continuous use... It's my 2 nd night of detox... I can't tell in words.... I wanna cut my all my body parts and remove my all skin... Please someone suggest quick home remedy. It's itchhing like hell😪😪