Notices

Has anyone else experienced itching with alcohol withdrawal?

Old 08-26-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Do what you can to keep your body cool. It'll help. Here's a copy & paste of something I wrote in another thread. I know this is referring to the sweats, but would probably help keep the itching feeling as well.

------
If it helps any, try to keep your body cool during this time. Your liver regulates your body temperature, and it is going to be raised during detox, hence the sweats. If you have air conditioning crank it up, sleep with either nothing or just a bed sheet instead of a heavy blanket, if you're comfortable doing so sleep naked instead of in pajamas, drink cold water from the fridge not at room temperature, don't wear heavy clothes, take lots of showers to keep your pores open, etc.

I don't know, but all that type of thing helps me quite a bit. The sweating doesn't help get rid of the toxins anyway. Very, very little alcohol leaves from the pores in your skin.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
p***enger

I itched a ton. I took a lot -- a lot -- of showers everyday. In my experience, it was super annoying (but no worse than hot flashes) but didn't last more than a week or 10 days.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
Do what you can to keep your body cool. It'll help. Here's a copy & paste of something I wrote in another thread. I know this is referring to the sweats, but would probably help keep the itching feeling as well.

------
If it helps any, try to keep your body cool during this time. Your liver regulates your body temperature, and it is going to be raised during detox, hence the sweats. If you have air conditioning crank it up, sleep with either nothing or just a bed sheet instead of a heavy blanket, if you're comfortable doing so sleep naked instead of in pajamas, drink cold water from the fridge not at room temperature, don't wear heavy clothes, take lots of showers to keep your pores open, etc.

I don't know, but all that type of thing helps me quite a bit. The sweating doesn't help get rid of the toxins anyway. Very, very little alcohol leaves from the pores in your skin.

Are der any side effects of smoking in itching... Can I smoke... It releases bit of stress.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

No idea to be honest. I smoke cigs myself, and never had a problem during detox. Everyone's different though. If you're truly worried, please go see a doctor and ask.

To be honest, I've never really had the itching feeling. Bit of dementia the last two detoxes, but never itching weirdly.

I've detoxed myself more times than I care to count though. All I can say is:

1.) Do what you can to keep your body cool, because your liver is going to raise your body temperature during this time. The sweating doesn't help anything, nor does it help cleanse your body of toxins. That's just your liver in override. so no point in dealing with the sweats unless you want to.

2.) Eat at much as you can (healthy food only!). Preferably, eat a large, healthy meal the night before you detox, otherwise if you forget, you may not be able to hold food down for several days. Your body needs as much energy as it can get.

3.) Sleep as much as you can. For one, it makes the withdrawals easier, because well, you're asleep. That, and your body rejuvenates far quicker asleep vs. awake.

4.) Make sure you have a friend / neighbor either staying with you, or able to be contacted at all times who knows what's up. If you ever feel like you're loosing grasp on reality, contact your friend and have them help you get to an ER. This isn't something you want to mess with. Please note, this is a very extreme symptom, and only the heaviest of drinkers will generally experience it. Nonetheless, it's nothing to play around with, and if you get to that stage, you won't be able to get yourself to the ER, so make sure someone is around to help you.

All the best. Trust me, I know how brutal it can be to detox, so hang in there, as it does get better, and quicker than you think too.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Vj2110 View Post
Are der any side effects of smoking in itching... Can I smoke... It releases bit of stress.
Well there are certainly side effects from smoking. Probably smoking just distracts you from the itching. I'd say suck on sour candy instead.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I didn't start itching until 45 days after quitting. Not sure what this is. Had a bit of the numbness, too. I'm not sure it's related to withdrawal because it's so far out and both the itching and numbness came and went and were here at the same time which leads me to believe perhaps it was too much caffeine or something. Caffeine is new in my diet and i've been drinking lots of coffee as a treat/sub to alcohol.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Sorry, n/m -- going too far re: medical advice.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Do your best

It will pass it's pretty common bud
Old 08-29-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
No idea to be honest. I smoke cigs myself, and never had a problem during detox. Everyone's different though. If you're truly worried, please go see a doctor and ask.

To be honest, I've never really had the itching feeling. Bit of dementia the last two detoxes, but never itching weirdly.

I've detoxed myself more times than I care to count though. All I can say is:

1.) Do what you can to keep your body cool, because your liver is going to raise your body temperature during this time. The sweating doesn't help anything, nor does it help cleanse your body of toxins. That's just your liver in override. so no point in dealing with the sweats unless you want to.

2.) Eat at much as you can (healthy food only!). Preferably, eat a large, healthy meal the night before you detox, otherwise if you forget, you may not be able to hold food down for several days. Your body needs as much energy as it can get.

3.) Sleep as much as you can. For one, it makes the withdrawals easier, because well, you're asleep. That, and your body rejuvenates far quicker asleep vs. awake.

4.) Make sure you have a friend / neighbor either staying with you, or able to be contacted at all times who knows what's up. If you ever feel like you're loosing grasp on reality, contact your friend and have them help you get to an ER. This isn't something you want to mess with. Please note, this is a very extreme symptom, and only the heaviest of drinkers will generally experience it. Nonetheless, it's nothing to play around with, and if you get to that stage, you won't be able to get yourself to the ER, so make sure someone is around to help you.

All the best. Trust me, I know how brutal it can be to detox, so hang in there, as it does get better, and quicker than you think too.
Thanks a lot.... Your comments are encouraging me. Your suggestions worked. Please be with me I think I will be detoxed in a week or so. I feel improvement and confident.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I did! I think it was about 30-45 days in.
I used Aveno oatmeal baths to soothe.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Im in detox mode as well. Im almost at week 4 and at night i get this weird itch i cant scratch in both my arms only near the elbow. Its kind of like an irritated itch that makes me frustrated and just sit up at night. I wish it would pass cause im losing sleep because of it. Keep going you can do it. Let me know at what point your itching stops. My itching started in week two and its not every single night it picks and chooses when to keep me up.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Same here! Been like 3 nights having a hard time sleeping. Woke up after about 3 hours of sleep and felt a bad itch all over my arm, legs, head, neck and feet. I last drank on the 11th of this month, took me to about the 15th to feel completely sober. Been binging hard every weekend for the past 12 years. Body still aching, especially sore in my calves where I was getting cramps from dehydration. I know I don't want it anymore, my body hurts too much. So this latest itching spell isn't so bad, just irritating. It is all over though, I know I have no choice but to make it through this time. Thanks for the posts everyone and God Bless...
Old 02-22-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Bender

The first couple of weeks can be tough but it gets better.
I hope you'll feel better soon

D
Old 03-25-2017, 10:15 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Smile Yep, itch

I never itched before.... But, I never really tried to quit before either. I always noticed after a night of hitting it pretty hard, I'd wake up the next morning and the back of my head would itch like crazy. Just thought it was a scalp thing and bought head n shoulders.... But, I probably drank again that evening and I didn't put two and two together.

I quit drinking last year for about 2 weeks and never noticed the itch. Perhaps I did, but chalked it up to dry skin or some other anomaly.

This is a conscious effort to quit for a while, maybe forever. I notice my body itches from head to toe. The first couple of days were pretty intense. But, I'm a week in, and body still itches a bit. It has become less intense. It's not unbearable but certainly annoying. I figured it would be gone by now, but no. Not sure how long it lasts, I guess it's different for everyone.

Thankfully, I haven't experienced any other withdrawal symptoms other than an occasional mild headache that doesn't last very long. It's reassuring (well, I'm not happy others experience the same) that others have experienced the same. After a lot of online research, the only thing that makes sense, seeing as how it happens to a lot of people, is the nervous system firing in a heightened state without being depressed/stymied with alcohol. I suppose the system is different for everyone, as well as the length of time it's been compromised, therefore, the varying times the itch lasts.

I'm not sure I can ever go back to drinking moderately. I was cursed from the beginning with an ultra high tolerance. But, the thought of trying to drink sporadically and minimally scares me due to the next time I take a prolonged break, my withdrawals could be worse.

God bless and be with all of you who are suffering with any and all symptoms. We didn't intentionally do this to ourselves, we just have a weakness.. Everyone has them, ours just happens to be alcohol. I'd love to tell you the itching goes away in x number of days, but it's new to me as well. But, I got it.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Follow up from my previous post. The itching seems to come and go. It is more noticeable at night when you are trying to sleep, because I think you are more aware of it. While I am busy in the day it doesn't seem to bother me. I found that unfiltered/undistilled apple cider vinegar like Bragg's seems to help. I use it undiluted, it may be too harsh for some, so you could dilute it with water.

It's day 15 and itching is the only symptom that I have really experienced. Many say it's your body rebelling from not getting its alcohol 3-7 days a week. Others say it's your nerves reactivating from being numbed by alcohol. I hear it passes. Again, some days are better than others. I guess we just have to wait it out.

I pray for everyone's symptoms that they are minimal, and everyone's long term abstinence strength.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I had really bad itching that would move in patches all over my body. It would itch on my forearm with a rash for a half-hour, then it would be inside of my thigh, then the palms/feet. It got much better for me after maybe 8-10 days. The first 3 were almost sleepless.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome David

It seems reasonably common although not part of my experience.

if you're worried about it seeing a Dr is probably the best idea.

D
Old 04-08-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Day 21.... Itching seems to still be there. It's weird. I'm beginning to think it could be a combination of dry skin and withdrawal. It doesn't prevent me from sleeping, it never really did. It does come in waves. Some days are better than others. I know I'm hyper aware of any itch now. I read somewhere the average person scratches an itch 90-some times a day anyway. I've had no other symptoms that others outline from their experiences. If there was something internally wrong, you would think we itchers would experience it when we were drinking. I'm of the school of it's body rebellion.

In the beginning, I'd get a hive or two or three. Those are gone, so the progression is improving. This tells me my body is starting to adapt reluctantly to no alcohol. It's a process, I feel great otherwise. I'm fortunate that my symptoms have been mild. I don't miss alcohol. I miss the comradery that is often associated with drinking in society. But, that's not that big of a deal......If you think about it, it is such a small portion of one's life anyway. I do miss the taste of a good cabernet however. One might as well drink Welch's grape juice if they choose the alcohol free wine.

I'm going to finish the 30 day challenge.. Whether I go back to casually consuming, I don't know. What I do know is, this has changed my perspective on alcohol consumption. It's a slippery slope. I'm not counting the days until I can have another drink. However, if I decide to do so, I feel it will be at a MUCH more cautious and aware pace than before I realized the long term damage it can do.

I'm not sure if I'm an alcoholic or not. I don't know that it is that cut and dried. I've taken all the "quizzes" and such and they indicate I "might" have an issue and to be careful. A lot of those questions anyone who has ever gotten drunk could answer yes to. Like, "Have you done something you regret when you were drinking".....I don't put much stock in those surveys anyway. It's all individualistic and alcohol problems are very subjective.

I know for sure, however, God can and will see you through any hardship in life. He is an endless resource of guidance, help, and strength. Utilize His willingness to help you. I pray for blessings for you all, and a happy, healthy, life.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DavidLA View Post

I'm going to finish the 30 day challenge.. Whether I go back to casually consuming, I don't know.
I used to say this - until I realised I couldn't moderate at all.

If I started drinking again I could be drinking every night for the next 4 months.

I have to abstain completely.

Good luck in your journey.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Bactine was the only thing that worked for me because it has lidocaine and numbs it enough to go to sleep.