Notices

Has anyone else experienced itching with alcohol withdrawal?

Old 04-08-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I guess everyone's body is different. I suffered very little in withdrawal. I was actually really confident that i'd suffer nothing at all (I didn't know the dreams were coming) but I still took the diazepam the doc prescribed. I pretty much thought I hadn't been drinking thaaat much to suffer withdrawal symptoms.

However, my blood work results came back with elevated liver values which shocked me because, again, I didn't think I was consuming thaaat much. I'm still bitching about those high liver values. It shocked the sense into me. My dad died from liver cirrhosis (alcohol) and here I was slowly following in his footsteps. No way!
Old 04-08-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi David. I see your join date is March 2017. Why not join the class of March 2017 daily support thread. It's really great.

About whether you're an alcoholic or not, well, I think the answer to that is really in your heart and mind. Most alcoholics know that they have a problem. Whether they stick the label on or not, is another issue. Either way, it's good to have your input here on SR.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:23 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blobbie View Post
Today is day 12. I have hives almost everywhere but not on my face. I bought generic Walgreens anti itch stuff ( watery pink "lotion") and take Walfinate. I use coconut oil and ingest primrose oil. I saw this post because I googled alcohol withdrawal and rash. My honey has been with me7 years and he thinks my rash is from new laundry soap. I wasn't sure. This is why I googled. I am glad I am here. Thank you. I don't know why I feel strong thus time I just do. I think the rash is withdrawal. I feel I earned it. I don't mind now that I've read all this. I am thankful.
I broke out in hives also. I still have them and going on 2 months. I'm taking over-the-counter antihistamine (allergy tablets), and this clears things up and I'm under the care of a dermatologist.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Itching and alcohol

Hi there.. My name is Charlene.. I've been a heavy drinker all of my life and to cut the long story short, the itching is called Pruritus and is associated with many diseases including alcoholism.. Last time when I was in hospital, I was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver and was told I could never drink again, obviously I was given Librium for the withdrawals but this itching I had, I could have ripped my skin off it was that bad, the only way to describe it is, millions of ants crawling under your skin.. Well years and years of being in and out of hospital, there was a miracle.. I found out that the itching is the amount of sugar in you blood and your body finds it difficult to rid of these toxins.. Guess what, the itching is cured by one tablet that can be bought over the counter, I was over the moon, u can understand how amazing it felt when the itching stopped.. So people listen, to cure the itching, buy some Antihistamines called Benadryl or ask your doctors for some.. Believe me, thats all it takes.. Itching gone for 12 hours, then just take another one.. I take them daily as back on the drink..But after being discharged the last time in hospital, I did give it up for 3 years and did it on my own with no help or support.. It was a Xmas do at work about 4 yrs ago and I really didn't want to go but everyone was mithering me to go but I knew what was to come.. I have drank for a solid 3 years everyday since then and I haven't got jaundice or anything which is very weird as I was told I had to abstain from alcohol or I will die, so why am I not ill again.. Also fish oil tablets, not cod liver, fish oil, they help get rid of toxins in your body and apparently really good for your liver, I read up on that on the Internet.. Well they must be working because I'm not ill and everybody keeps telling me how good I look, so people, just thought I'd give u a couple of helpful tips and just take it easy and look after yourself.. You will give it up when u are ready, not when people tell u to do it.. Anyone who would like to message or chat, just message me and I will be a good listener..Thanks, Charlene x
Old 04-13-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lava256 View Post
I guess everyone's body is different. I suffered very little in withdrawal. I was actually really confident that i'd suffer nothing at all (I didn't know the dreams were coming) but I still took the diazepam the doc prescribed. I pretty much thought I hadn't been drinking thaaat much to suffer withdrawal symptoms.

However, my blood work results came back with elevated liver values which shocked me because, again, I didn't think I was consuming thaaat much. I'm still bitching about those high liver values. It shocked the sense into me. My dad died from liver cirrhosis (alcohol) and here I was slowly following in his footsteps. No way!
Those can be reversed, most likely. Abstinence for just 4-6 weeks can improve those levels by as much as 20%. There are supplements that can help as well (according to anecdotal studies) like, Dandelion Root tea or capsules, Milk Thistle, NAC, Turmeric, Vitamin E, to name a few. I take all of these along with other supplements, and have for a long time. I've only given up drinking for 30 days. I've never been on a prescription other than an antibiotic or two in my lifetime and I'm 55. I'm lucky or have good genes it appears.

You can research these supplements and see if they are appropriate for you. Some are fans, some are not. I am a person who believes God put everything we need to cure our bodies on this earth. I'm not a big fan of pharmaceuticals. Seems every other day they are recalling one and lawyers are circling wagons trying to sue a drug manufacturer.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Itching from head to toe. Finally summoned up the courage to stop downing a liter of whisky a day. The itching proves my body was wrecked. Glad I found this group. I look at something normal on TV and it makes my skin creep. I haven't slept an inch for 3 days and nights. I need help.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome FrankTricky
Feel free to start your own thread- you'll get more response that way

D
Old 06-02-2017, 11:43 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Unhappy Itchy skin is the worst.

Today is day two without booze, and I haven't been able to sleep because of the horrific skin itch. I just took two Benadryl, I really hope it helps, I just can't sleep, this is terrible, my skin actually burns. The last time I quit/stopped drinking I couldn't sleep for FIVE days, and I started seeing things.

I've been drinking since I was 14, I'm now 49, and I don't know why I do this to myself. This is why I hate going on the wagon, for the skin itch alone. Does anyone know of any other medication other than Benadryl?
Old 09-16-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I'm new here and this thread is reassuring - I'm on day 24 with no booze. Started itching about 5 days ago. Driving me crazy. Seeing my Doctor in 2 days. I'm hoping it's just a side-effect that will go away too. Glad to find this forum! Reading lots of posts!
Old 09-16-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR poorguy1968

D
Old 09-17-2017, 06:50 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

thank you i am getting some benadryl. yes I'm very itchy also depress its awful the shakiness and the clumsiness ....fun timesday 3
Old 09-17-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
2/2016

congrats on day 3 soberand healthy glad to see you back.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I have 42 days sober today and have been itching like crazy still.
The benedryl, allegra, claritin, flonase, and hydrocortisone creams I have tried are doing very little for me. Has anyone had a long term itch like this? I have had lengths of 30+ days of sobriety before with no itching. Any thought?
Thanks!
Old 10-29-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome SoberStohler

I never experienced itchiness so I have no experience to share.
Have you considered seeing a Dr yet?

D
Old 11-18-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
It's well worth while to talk to a doctor and/or pharmacist about itching. I note that pharmacies customarily stock anti itch creams and other preparations, including, as one post said, powder which has a soothing effect. Maybe it helps to view these otherwise unpleasant symptoms as signs that the body is gradually recovering from alcoholism. And, having gone through all that is hopefully an incentive to stay recovered, not pick up and inevitably have to revisit all these symptoms once more. Thus recovery might be viewed not as having to give something up but as having acquired a valuable asset, freedom from symptoms such as these as well as all the other stuff which goes along with being a slave to alcohol.

W.
Oh my goodness this is so very helpful to me. Your response and all the others. I have been so itchy and felt like my skin is crawling. Tonight is saturday and I just had a whopper craving. I was even shaking. This reminder that 9 days sober is a gift not a punishment. I DO NOT ever want to go through this withdrawl process again!!! It has shocked me how incredibly difficult this is physically and mentally. I have tried to stop so many times in the past, by telling myself I would take a break. That I would try again to drink in moderation. Failed every freaking time. I am praying this time is different because I realize I can;t do moderation. One glass or I should say mason jar always tastes like more more more.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

The itching is awful. You drink, pass out, wake...drink down the soda water from the bottle next to the bed. Then the itching and sweating starts. Maybe doze a little, dawn...jerk awake, scratching at your legs. Hydrocortisone from the chemist helps. Getting off alcohol cures.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Itching

Originally Posted by zombiegirl View Post
Yes!!!!
Hopefully this will post this time as my daughter knocked my phone n erased it.

I was itching like mad last night on my head face and chest to the point I was checking my hair for nits this morning. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
I seem to be experiencing awful headaches almost like stress related ones
I’m on day two and can’t sleep, itching like crazy, does anything help? Please
Old 03-13-2018, 07:48 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

<Q: Why does liver disease cause intense itching?

A: Intense itching – This is due to bile products being deposited in the skin; Jaundice – The scarring of the liver causes an increase in blood levels of a coloured pigment called bilirubin that is normally secreted by liver cells.>

I've had itching too. As you stop drinking, your liver begins to heal and for a while you may experience the toxins leaving your body. The skin is a filter as well. Benedryl sometimes helps. I've had such extreme itching and scratched so hard in the past that I have permanent little red bumps (kind of like small moles but they are actually hematoma). It's not fun. It is from the damage we have done to our livers (among other health complications for some of us) another good reason to stop drinking.

Taking in lots of fresh water, eating healthy, fresh fruits and vegges will help your body restore itself to good health faster. Watch out for fast foods, fried foods, processed meats (deli meats, bacon, ham, etc) as they seem to not help with the healing.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:04 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome smf

Like every headache is not a brain tumour, not every itch means liver problems.

Thats part of the reason we ask folks not to diagnose or give medication or medical advice here.

Smf if you're concerned why not see a Dr?

D
Old 11-27-2020, 05:55 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by reecejay View Post
I am detoxing from a 4 year battle with alcoholism, and I really want to kick this habbit this time.. the longest I went was for about 13 days sober and then relapsed.
I am experiencing really uncomfortable itching, its day 2 of my detox and my skin feels like its crawling its so annoying!!
Can anyone help me with what this is?
Thankyou.
Hi - I know your post was a whole back but curious to find out if the itching resolved? I stopped drinking 33 days ago and itching only started around day 28. Its all over mh body. Hope it will stop soon. Thanks