Notices

Relapse

Old 06-22-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You need to start a new thread. This one, entitled "Relapse," seems to be a self fulfilling prophecy. Call the new one, "I'm not ever going to drink again."

We alcoholics want to be gratified right now and nothing is going to stand in our way. Drinking is a fast fix for self gratification. Sobriety isn't. Don't expect to enjoy all your old activities sober right away. But if you stay sober, you will. First comes the sobriety, then comes the enjoyment. That's the order of things. Accept it, or continue to struggle and drink. And everytime you drink you are pushing the times you can enjoy sober farther and farther down the road.
Your right Carl,
I could tell the last couple of days sober that my mood was changing slightly for the better.I guess I need to trust what everyone says here that it gets way better and stick it through the mucky withdrawals.See I have a hard time seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.I feel with no beer what am I ever too g to do!
I hear everyone saying it is great being sober but I seem to feel worse,but I am sure cause I have not given it enough time.so it really does get to where you feel great?
Old 06-22-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

You aren't sober, you have short periods of "dry".

My alcoholism was like an iceberg in the ocean. The alcohol was the 10% you could see and the "ISM" was the 90% you couldn't see.

AA was/is the only thing that got me sober, keeps me sane and gives me ever increasing amounts of serenity. One day at a time. No "cure"

Please Google and read "AA HOW IT WORKS" and "AA PROMISES". You want it, then come with me and get it.

Your own sig line says it all.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-23-2013, 04:09 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You need to start a new thread. This one, entitled "Relapse," seems to be a self fulfilling prophecy. Call the new one, "I'm not ever going to drink again."

We alcoholics want to be gratified right now and nothing is going to stand in our way. Drinking is a fast fix for self gratification. Sobriety isn't. Don't expect to enjoy all your old activities sober right away. But if you stay sober, you will. First comes the sobriety, then comes the enjoyment. That's the order of things. Accept it, or continue to struggle and drink. And everytime you drink you are pushing the times you can enjoy sober farther and farther down the road.
You are right Carl,
I hear everyone say it gets better.I have just been feeling so depressed and anxious I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.I need to trust in that it will get better and stick it out.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Thanks 2dd,
I appreciate your effort.I googled that and read it.It makes sense to me completely.I just don't think AA is for me.I went to a couple meetings a year ago and they were not for me.I really don't like a group atmosphere for one and just the whole vibe there made me want to drink.I am sure it works for some people and that is great,but I need a different path to sobriety and I am searching for it.
I need to learn to live sober.I see my doctor Thursday that is going to be a big help.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Is there any sort of support from AA that isn't group based?
Old 06-23-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

If you went to AA meetings for a week .. by the end of that time you would be feeling right at home.

Then the program would start to work ..

Hook up with another newcomer at the meetings and come together. Help each other.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-23-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
Thanks 2dd,
I appreciate your effort.I googled that and read it.It makes sense to me completely.I just don't think AA is for me.I went to a couple meetings a year ago and they were not for me.I really don't like a group atmosphere for one and just the whole vibe there made me want to drink.I am sure it works for some people and that is great,but I need a different path to sobriety and I am searching for it.
I need to learn to live sober.I see my doctor Thursday that is going to be a big help.
You might take a look at AVRT/Rational Recovery, it can be summed up in just a few words, and there are several threads on the method:

Observe your thoughts and feelings, positive and negative, about drinking or using. Thoughts and feelings which support continued use are called the Addictive Voice (AV); those which support abstinence are you. When you recognize and understand your AV, it becomes not-you, but "it," an easily-defeated enemy that has been causing you to drink. All it wants is pleasure. "I want a drink," becomes, "It wants a drink." Think to yourself, "I will never drink again," and listen for its reaction. Your negative thoughts and feelings are your AV talking back to you. Now, think, "I will drink/use whenever I please." Your pleasant feelings are also the AV, which is in control. Recovery is not a process; it is an event. The magic word is "Never," as in, "I will never drink/use again." Recognition defeats short-term desire, and abstinence soon becomes effortless. Complete separation of "you" from "it" leads to complete recovery and hope for a better life. The only time you can drink is now, and the only time you can quit for good is right now. "I will never drink/use again," becomes, "I never drink now."
Old 06-23-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
If you went to AA meetings for a week .. by the end of that time you would be feeling right at home.

Then the program would start to work ..

Hook up with another newcomer at the meetings and come together. Help each other.

All the best.

Bob R
Hello Bob,
I can't help but notice you are very persistent with AA.Either it's because it worked so well for you or you know something about it I don't lol.I will admit I don't know much about it except a couple meeting and first impressions stick with me with most anything.
The people weren't bad people and they all seemed pretty helpful.I just really don't like group atmospheres and the whole this of saying your an alcoholic every time you say your name and the things like that that go along with the program.I am open to hear more on your experience or knowledge you have on AA.Maybe it will sway me to try again.Thanks Bob have a good evening.