SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Relapse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/297941-relapse.html)

stubbs 06-15-2013 11:50 PM

Relapse

Well 24 days down the drain,
I went and bought me a 12 pack today and drank 10 of them.Wouldnt even say I was pressured or triggered by anything.I was sitting in my recliner watching tv and was looking outside and thought man what a good day to grill out and drink some beer.After a half hour battle in my head I strapped on my shoes and off to the store I went.
I have been thinking about it for a couple days.I keep having the thoughts of "Can I drink like normal people now?"I think I needed this though.i need to prove to myself I can not drink like normal people.Im upset about this but not greatly upset.I feel this is going to be a stepping stone to my sobriety.I am a bit angry I have to start over on my days though.
I am not drinking tomorrow Inam 100% sure of this,it doesn't even sound good.Well there it is my confession so to speak..any advice for me?

Dee74 06-16-2013 12:15 AM

Don't drink. Seriously, man.

I knew that I couldn't drink like other people.
I knew but I didn't want it to be true, and some nights I just didnt care.

I think you're an awful lot like me Stubbs - you wanted something that would work instantly on those feelings of unease and discomfort you've been feeling for a while now.

I get that. I didn't want to have to face my demons - but it's the only way ahead.

You've had a lot of suggestions in previous threads about what to do - any one of those approaches is better than drinking - you just have to pick one and try it Stubbs :)

welcome back.
D

newpower 06-16-2013 12:32 AM

You cannot get drunk if you don't pick up the first drink. thsts the only way you can get drunk

Jeni26 06-16-2013 12:38 AM

For any method to work, you need to really want sobriety more than anything. Early recovery isn't easy, but it is possible, and a sober life is worth the effort.

Are you ready to commit? Have you had your last drink?

Clear the house of alcohol and make that promise to yourself that you want and deserve a sober life. How you achieve it isn't as important as that willingness to start out on your sober journey and leave the past behind you.

Best wishes to you x

Zebra1275 06-16-2013 05:44 AM

I think I needed this though.i need to prove to myself I can not drink like normal people

I understand where you are coming from, I've been there. You will probably be sober today, but are you going to be sober after another 24 day stretch of time?

That was my problem, the further removed I was from my last drunk, the less of a problem alcohol seemed to be. Long stretches of sober time (I once did 5 1/2 years) do not mean that you are "cured." Drink again, and you are quickly back to where you where.

visch1 06-16-2013 06:05 AM

Hi and welcome back and aiming for a sober day at a time. Many of us can identify with you when the shite fairy gets control of our thinking of not drinking. It's part of the insidious baffling disease called alcoholism. After a bunch of AA meetings I learned how to get past this hurtle and has been under control now for many years now by continued attending meetings even when I don't want to. BE WELL

stubbs 06-16-2013 07:14 AM

Thanks for the advice guys,
I slept like crap last night,not much of a surprise I guess.Im feeling pretty good today being Father's Day and all.Sobriety is a tricky thing,it's like two Brains playing tug of war all the time.I was quite certain last night I was not drinking today,and guess what has been in my head already today?Yep,BEER!I am going to my inlaws and parents today and Im thinking to myself heck why not just have a couple.
I am not going to do it though.

soberlicious 06-16-2013 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by stubbs
it's like two Brains playing tug of war all the time.

That's exactly what it feels like. Have you ever read about AVRT? It might interest you as it deals directly with managing that "other part" of you.

2granddaughters 06-16-2013 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by stubbs (Post 4019368)
..any advice for me?

What program of recovery are you following ??

All the best.

Bob R

fantail 06-16-2013 10:52 AM

Since you've posted before about anxiety, one thing to keep in mind is that the brain only recovers from PAWS through abstinence. By reintroducing alcohol, you reinforce the changes that your brain has made to cope with the ongoing presence of alcohol... including things like higher levels of stress activation and lower levels of calming hormones.

I'm not telling you this to make you feel guilty for your slip! Things happen. But if a reduction in anxiety is one of the things you're going for, it's just important to know that even just one or two does slow your progress.

trikyriky 06-16-2013 10:56 AM

Stubbs : Did you grill out ? I mean that was the idea . Be cool dude . No regrets. Go easy today. Peace

strawberryblond 06-16-2013 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by stubbs (Post 4019723)
Thanks for the advice guys,
I slept like crap last night,not much of a surprise I guess.Im feeling pretty good today being Father's Day and all.Sobriety is a tricky thing,it's like two Brains playing tug of war all the time.I was quite certain last night I was not drinking today,and guess what has been in my head already today?Yep,BEER!I am going to my inlaws and parents today and Im thinking to myself heck why not just have a couple.
I am not going to do it though.

I can relate. Except my head it's vodka. But we can do this! One minute at a time for now.

Goose1 06-16-2013 11:27 AM

Hey Stubbs, been there and done that after 96 days. And not just that, its time and time again whenever I drank I proved to myself I can't drink normally. When I drank, I drank to get drunk. I don't believe your 24 days of Sobriety are down the drain; the day that you drank is the one down the drain. I have to work my Sobriety in order to stay Sober. I can't allow those thoughts that I can handle a drink to enter my mind no matter the scenario. That's the truth, that's the reality. Learn from IT, "IT IS POISON !"

MIRecovery 06-16-2013 01:22 PM

AA worked for me when all else failed.

susan63 06-16-2013 02:45 PM

Don't beat yourself up!

Hi Stubbs,

Don't beat yourself up it's counterproductive just pick yourself up and start a new day. You are going to have slips it's what you do about it that counts. Keep yourself busy. Connect with people and friends. This site is awesome and has a lot of great suggestions. Stay strong....

tootsl1 06-16-2013 02:52 PM

Been there, done that, got day ones coming out my ass, but finally realised, I. CAN. NEVER. DRINK. AGAIN.

stubbs 06-16-2013 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by fantail (Post 4019975)
Since you've posted before about anxiety, one thing to keep in mind is that the brain only recovers from PAWS through abstinence. By reintroducing alcohol, you reinforce the changes that your brain has made to cope with the ongoing presence of alcohol... including things like higher levels of stress activation and lower levels of calming hormones.

I'm not telling you this to make you feel guilty for your slip! Things happen. But if a reduction in anxiety is one of the things you're going for, it's just important to know that even just one or two does slow your progress.

Thanks you for the insight,
So just one slip up every so often can prolong paws?How much of an effect you think a slip up like that cost me?Just curious cause Inreally need to get my head straightened out :c004:
I have a doctors appointment in a week and a half and hope to get some help on managing my depression and anxiety.

stubbs 06-16-2013 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by trikyriky (Post 4019979)
Stubbs : Did you grill out ? I mean that was the idea . Be cool dude . No regrets. Go easy today. Peace

Hello tricky,
I actually did grill out and ended up having a good day.Just wish I could have enjoyed it as much sober.I have a tuuuuuff time with enjoying things sober right now.I am taking it as I need to learn how to live sober again and enjoy life sober.My brain needs to heal I guess then ill feel happy and hopeful again.

stubbs 06-16-2013 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters (Post 4019954)
What program of recovery are you following ??

All the best.

Bob R

Hello 2gd,
I am not using any program right now to stay sober,I'm winging it.I am pretty sure this is really reducing my chances of staying sober.I need to get more active in my sobriety.

stubbs 06-16-2013 06:05 PM

Well day 1 successful..no beers.