Notices

Sober Weekend June 14-16!

Old 06-14-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm in for the weekend. It is going to be a busy one!
Old 06-14-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Lost

Weekend #1

"Simple Pleasures"---really like that.
This is my first sober weekend---quite nervous but also determined.
Take care everyone
Old 06-15-2013, 01:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey kiter ,
good luck with this weekend .

Saturday today Woooo My washing is now unmanageable so i'd better deal with it .. think i got 4 or 5 loads there ! i'm gonna be at it all day .

At least it's not a twin-tub like mum used to use in the old days .

Bestwishes, M
Old 06-15-2013, 03:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Oh i remember them too. ( of course i was a tot)
Ut oh Weasey! Another alligator sighted on long island! Did it escape from your bathtub?
Let's get this day started, i also have at least 3 loads of laundry...daily workouts mean extra dirty clothes, but thats ok.
Hope Mrs.Nons. is doing ok and managing...can she sit on the deck? Get her hair washed?
Time for more coffee and bacon! It is CATurday...lol
Thanks guys for this thread, i hope the newcomers visit and post too!
Old 06-15-2013, 03:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
My washing is now unmanageable..
Only 11 steps to go for laundry recovery!

Originally Posted by Fandy
Hope Mrs.Nons. is doing ok and managing...can she sit on the deck? Get her hair washed?
You're sweet to inquire.

Yesterday was such a nice evening we got Mrs. Non out on the deck for a while to enjoy our pizza.

We have found that bathing is easier for her in the guest bathroom. I removed the shower doors and put a shower chair in there. She sits sideways with her legs out of the tub and uses the wand on a flexible hose to bathe.

Keeping her morale up is proving difficult. She is a high energy, motivated and fiercely independent woman. Being incapacitated and dependent on others is very frustrating for her. She can't even get to bed on her own.

Looking like good weather here again today. Gonna clean up some of the debris from the old deck and then move to an inside project.

Keep it sober, peeps!
Old 06-15-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Fandy... It came from Theresa's house in Hicksville a few towns over! Lol it was dead on arrival.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I thought Hicksville USA was a made up place of a derogatory nature .
Old 06-15-2013, 03:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Yup I'm also doing another sober weekend!
Old 06-15-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
I thought Hicksville USA was a made up place of a derogatory nature .
Hicksville is an actual town on Long Island which is part of NewYork...
I thought the alligator might have been someone's pet from the Hamptons, out for a stroll.
I hope Mrs.Nons. feels better....i do understand her frustration...i was injured a few years ago in an accident...out of work for 7 weeks....lots of percocet, ill skip the details, they were laced with wine.
It was a start of my downward spiral....glad the kids are home.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I am totally in! I'm new to this site and since my abstention is new (just this past Tuesday, the 11th), this will be my first weekend A-free!! And today is actually my "Friday" as I am a store owner and I get my Sundays and Mondays as my "weekends". And I've been dreading the weekend because my wonderful hubby comes home from his week away long haul trucking trips and a huge part of our hanging time is in the garage drinking. Well, I am proud to say last night was A-OK! He was home and had a few beers before I cam home from the store but I was steadfast and didn't break down. Today is another day and I am feeling so damn good! I simply went into the house, took care of my "hotel" guests (I also run a cat boarding facility), got comfortable, got on the couch with the blanket over my legs, which is cue time for Dudley the cat to make himself comfortable, turned on the computer, drank some Coke Zero and hubby made a wonderful supper. It was a good night. I am looking forward to tonight as well.

I don't know what has happened inside of me, but I do know that something has changed in how I look out at my world and how I perceive my precious inner compass. I feel like I am on a new journey and a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I don't presume that everyday will feel this way, but I now have some new weaponry in my arsenal against my old nemesis. Alcohol has been a major focus in my life for every major occasion or event and it is starting to morph into full blown depression. I feel so much better without it in my system. And I know in my soul my Christian faith, which has been rekindled lately, has also given me a boost. Whatever it is, I feel invigorated and not so scared anymore. I feel a renewed sense of purpose and self-love that will help me in those moments of temptation.

I know I can relax and be truly me now. I am ready to let my feelings out into the fresh light of day. I know that once they are not bottled up anymore, they will simply be something I can look at without trying to numb myself. I will not be afraid anymore.

Happy Saturday everyone! And here's to my first sober weekend since I can remember. I wish so much love and hugs to everyone here.

Sorry for the long-winded rant....no, no I'm not! LOL!
Old 06-15-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

That's funny M... Hicksville is an average middle class town. We are surrounded here by some of the most wealthy in the US. The north shore of Long Island called the Gold Coast has most houses hidden behind fences and trees. I come from more humble places.

The number of expensive cars is ridiculous. Maybach, bently, outrageous Ferrari's. lol and my freaking awesome beetle!

Happy sober Saturday everyone! Woo hoo!
Old 06-15-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

"Celebrated" after my students graduation by lunch with my mom at a local eatery eating on the deck. Then went shopping and I bought myself three new pairs of great sandals on sale and dropped way too much money but splurged on myself Wrecked my neck last night sleeping on a stack of pillows so I'm gingerly moving around today....not used to this pain stuff as my old pattern was to numb with a few spirits. Enjoying a low key day with the sun, will later pick up my son from his father's, and I think I'll let my bf cook tonight....will probably have take out! Stay strong everyone...sober weekends rock!
Old 06-15-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

On the sofa exhausted and it's not even 7pm!

Took my son shopping, had a manicure then went for afternoon tea with my family so lots of cake & tea!

Made some charity bracelets and tackled the laundry.

Enjoying a glass of juice and thinking about an early night.

Have a great sunday everyone.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Lost

Thx Mecanix-how fumny- I'm just about to tackle my laundry pile as well!
Good friend is having a bday party tonight that i was really looking forward to, and everyone will be drinking tons and there's also a big hockey game on---for me a total double threat....
I think I'm going to have to send my husband (a drinker but very supportive) to the parry and just stay home with my son (10) and maybe catch some of the game with him---with only NA beer in the house...
So depressing, but if I drink that will also be depressing.
It is what it is.
Hope you are all doing well.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Kiter ,
the N/A beer thing is quite a regular thread on here .

For me it has some of the "ritual" of drinking involved with it so i avoid it .

I'm not saying i'd have an N/A beer and go mad but to me it's edging towards somewhere i'd rather not go . ( to badly paraphrease Dee74 Life is still great fun way over here several feet from the edge ) .

There will be a day when a party will offer you few challenges, as you look around you thinking all these drinkers are mad . A night at home with your Son and a movie will probably not seem so irksome then

Stay strong , M
Old 06-15-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Lost

Thanks M.
Good point about the NA beer-- maybe a good idea to pass.
And don't get me wrong I love hanging out with my son--in fact what we usually do is go out after he is asleep.
So, the hard part tonight will be after he goes to bed at 830....
Old 06-15-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

A full day of labor, and I am feeling it. Dinner in the slow cooker, and I have been warned by my children to not have any plans for tomorrow. The suspense has me all flustered.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Today is Sunday, and life is spectacular! Made it through last night with no problems. Hubby had beer and I sipped on my Coke for awhile in the garage after coming home from work and since last night was my Friday nite, I was tempted but only for a little bit.

Today is interesting - it's Father's Day plus hubby's birthday. Having my elderly parents and my sister over for dinner. I know hubby will be drinking but I feel good that I will be in control, once again.

Must get off my duff and do some cleaning, shopping, etc. Hugs and love. xo
Old 06-16-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hello folks! Happy sober Sunday! Was up at 4:30 today.

Making cod today for dinner. I don't eat enough fish.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Happy Father's Day sober weekenders!