Notices

How many in AA take antidepressants?

Old 05-23-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearLight View Post
There's a difference between being habit forming and having ill effects if a drug is stopped without being tapered.

There are a lot of drugs you shouldn't abruptly stop using but are not habit forming.
Exactly.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DryRoastJim View Post
Wait a minute! "Non-addictive" and "come off them after a few months sober under medical supervision".

This has been a serious concern for me as I "came off" 2 types of SSRi's. Paxil being public enemy #1. You may recall they got sued for not publishing the effects of withdrawal even though they claimed "non-habit forming".

Of course they would never compare themselves say to heroin, no, they called it "Discontinuation Syndrome" hahhaha yeah right...
The reason for weaning off them was to monitor my mental health. I've been suicidal in the past and the doctors were not going to take the decision to remove something that had kept me on an even keel lightly. I was not addicted to them. I had no withdrawals. For me they were 'non-habit-forming', and yes they kept me alive at a very dark period in my life.

Again, this has nothing to do with my sobriety. The OP questioned whether people taking antidepressants could claim to be clean and sober. I believe it is irrelevant
Old 05-23-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by LAdrunkard View Post
Seems like the majority, and I mean like 60-75% are on some kind of mind altering medication such as antidepressants, Adderol, etc. It's difficult for me to stay clean and sober when I know most on not trying but still claim long term sobriety when they are not. If they are off alcohol, then say it, but don't say you are clean and sober if you are on drugs. Just because they are prescribed doesn't count, otherwise medical marijuana is ok. And if it is, then that means I can smoke it and still claim to be sober.
I would also like to add my upset and disbelief when attending meetings that as soon as the chair is finished three quarters of the meeting would get up, congregate outside and smoke duh!!!! I used to think how rude. I thought the idea was to share back from the floor with the chair not use the time as a fag break!!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

ad·dic·tion
[uh-dik-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

Sorry, SSRI's differ how?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

ad·dic·tion
[uh-dik-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

Well, I'd say you're splitting hairs with the addiction definition. SSRI's aren't "physically habit-forming" (there are no cravings when stopped), nor do they cause "severe trauma" when stopped. But I don't believe we will change each other's minds about this issue.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just a reminder- lets not go down this road of debating other's legitimate need for dr. prescribed medication. Just as non-alcoholics can't understand an alcoholic's issue with alcohol (which many regard as an illness)- those whom have not suffered from mental illness or disabilities, aren't able to understand the legitimate need for doctor prescribed and managed medication. Whether you agree or disagree is non-consequential, unless you are a doctor charged with the care of an individual. Opinions are fine, but that's all they are. Let's leave the rest to the professionals, please.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Why is it any of your business what others are doing in or out of sobriety? My use of anti-depressant medication is between myself, my doctor and maybe God. No one else. I do not "abuse" SSRI's. I am not "enslaved" or "addicted" to them. I take them because I suffer from crippling depression. This has been confirmed over and over throughout my life by numerous highly educated PROFESSIONALS. Go do some research for yourself and maybe you won't sound so completely judgemental and ridiculous! It's people like you who chase people like me out of meetings and prevent us from getting the help we need.

Also, I would just add to both of you who made these comments - do either of you drink coffee? Smoke cigarettes? Eat sugar? Take an aspirin for a headache? Ok well those are all considered 'mind altering' substances so by your own definition YOU aren't "sober" either. Get off your high horse and learn what humility means, please. There is nothing you could say that would convince me that taking an SSRI is the same as drinking alcohol until I blacked out and using heroin. My meds don't give me a buzz or get me high at all. I don't even necessarily like taking them! I do it because I don't want to end up dead or institutionalized like half of my family. It seems like you just want an excuse to drink. I hope you don't.

You do have a right to your opinion but your comments are seriously offensive and out of line. Please be more considerate of others.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well... I always found it odd that someone at AA meetings that claims decades of sobriety, and that God removed their addiction ( or craving or however you want to phrase it) can't seem to go an hour without a cigarette! If that ain't addiction I don't know what is.

Further, if a Higher Power of their understanding can restore them to sanity (steps 2 and 3) then why isn't their HP powerful enough to cure their depression as well?

Depression is a medical issue and it should rightly be attended to by the medical profession ( not by faith healing through AA). I see addiction the same way.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

"Further, if a Higher Power of their understanding can restore them to sanity (steps 2 and 3) then why isn't their HP powerful enough to cure their depression as well?"

because of this:
"Depression is a medical issue and it should rightly be attended to by the medical profession ( not by faith healing through AA). I see addiction the same way. "
Old 05-23-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

At least we agree depression is a medical issue.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Who on this forum has had their quality of life improve as a result of alcohol use?
Mine sure hasn't. Doesn't the first A in AA stand for something?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

ad·dic·tion
[uh-dik-shuhn] Show IPA
noun

And breathing differs how?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

For a little context here folks, the OP only has 6 posts over the past year. It seems he/she is good at posting one comment bashing AA and then leaving while an AA/non AA argument ensues. This seems to be headed in the same direction.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

@BabyJane, it is not my position to care why you take them or not. But it is my position that to say an SSRI is not addictive is simply incorrect.

I was ON 2 types of SSRI's and 1 Tricyclic anti-depressant. In all cases when I quit cold turkey I had substantial withdrawal issues.

I have done the research, and discovered why I had so many problems getting off of them.

However, I will stop posting as this encroaching on "medical advise" which violates the ToS of this forum.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I have depression.

I took medications.

I stopped taking my medications.

I slit my wrist.

Last time I checked, quitting alcohol didn't make me want to die. It made me want to live.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I am on medication for blood pressure and cholesterol. Does that make me not clean and sober?
In a sense, so you are not, because God did not intend for you to be on them. He gave you a perfect body that you abused through a poor diet and lack of exercise. You are doing nothing more than trying to conceal the symptoms of your disease instead of taking an active role by honoring what God gave you. Sobriety should be only the beginning of your journey toward inner peace and good health. Becoming a vegetarian and running or walking vigorously will solve your physical dependence on all medications. But that's a lot of work and alcoholics want the easier softer way. That's why most AA'ers still smoke cigarettes so heavily and guzzle the coffee. Is that really sobriety? Is that really honoring God. Is that really the fulfillment of the promises?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

ad·dic·tion
[uh-dik-shuhn] Show IPA
noun

I'm addicted to thyroid meds then...
Old 05-23-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Frankly none of your concern. What anyone else does or doesn't do is none of your concern. I agree with Tomsteve sounds like you are just mad and looking for an excuse to use. What are the motives here?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

My husband has high blood pressure. He's been a vegetarian for over 15 years. He's also a runner who participates in marathons. His condition is genetic. But you don't know his medical history as you are not his, nor anyone else's doctor. This went from a mildly stimulating debate, straight into superstitious quackery. Good luck guys.. I'm out!! Lol

Last edited by EverySngleNight; 05-23-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Had to add the word doctor, you're not one
Old 05-23-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

There are a host of medical conditions which are not caused by people 'abusing their bodies'.

If someone has a physical disability that requires them to be on long-term medication which relieves their symptoms and enables them to have a good quality of life...are they unable to ever become 'clean and sober' in your eyes? If people take medications for serious mental health conditions....are they unable to ever become 'clean and sober'? If someone with long term sobriety develops a life-threatening illness which requires taking medication to keep them alive...do they lose their sober time?

How do you distinguish which conditions and which medications qualify?

And most important of all.......why the outrage at what anyone else needs or indeed chooses to take?

Look to your own journey.