Notices

How many in AA take antidepressants?

Old 05-23-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LAdrunkard View Post
In a sense, so you are not, because God did not intend for you to be on them. He gave you a perfect body that you abused through a poor diet and lack of exercise. You are doing nothing more than trying to conceal the symptoms of your disease instead of taking an active role by honoring what God gave you. Sobriety should be only the beginning of your journey toward inner peace and good health. Becoming a vegetarian and running or walking vigorously will solve your physical dependence on all medications. But that's a lot of work and alcoholics want the easier softer way. That's why most AA'ers still smoke cigarettes so heavily and guzzle the coffee. Is that really sobriety? Is that really honoring God. Is that really the fulfillment of the promises?
What do you know of mental illness? What do you know of genetics and diseases that come from that? How do you know about any of this?
Your judgement is harsh, and judgement should be reserved for god! Follow your own path!! Why are you here? To pass judgement, and to troll?
Yuck!
I think that you are only trying to cause conflict.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Anti-depressants are not a "happy" pill. If you have a chemical imbalance these will help put that balance back to where it should be. If you don't have a chemical imbalance then these pills will not do anything for you.

I was paxil for about 3 years and I certainly never felt high on it. I didn't have any problems going off it other than feeling "off" for about a week. But everyone is different and I wasn't on a high dosage.

But I wouldn't compare bein on paxil to drinking. No comparison to that. You should also ask yourself why this bothers you so much. Worry about yourself, not what everyone else is doing.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

My guess is that God didn't intend for you to be on the interwebs seeking support for your addiction issues.

And ..... I was sucked in by this post that, I believe, was intended to cause controversy. I'm sorry and congrats to LA.

We try to avoid controversy here LA. It happens but we certainly don't encourage it. If you want to be sober from alcohol and/or drugs you've found the right place. If you want someone to reply to this post telling you you're right, go smoke some weed, you're probably not.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

In a sense, so you are not, because God did not intend for you to be on them.
God explained it differently to me.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I've also found that a lot of alcoholics know everything. Strange, eh?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

In a sense, so you are not, because God did not intend for you to be on them. He gave you a perfect body that you abused through a poor diet and lack of exercise. You are doing nothing more than trying to conceal the symptoms of your disease instead of taking an active role by honoring what God gave you. Sobriety should be only the beginning of your journey toward inner peace and good health. Becoming a vegetarian and running or walking vigorously will solve your physical dependence on all medications. But that's a lot of work and alcoholics want the easier softer way. That's why most AA'ers still smoke cigarettes so heavily and guzzle the coffee. Is that really sobriety? Is that really honoring God. Is that really the fulfillment of the promises?
What in the he** do you know about someone's eating or excercise habits?

High blood pressure and cholesterol can be hereditary. You are quite the know it all DR LA Drunkard.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Your uneducated. I am not in AA. I really hope that you never come down with a serious illness that requires meds. You just may eat your words. God bless you. One of the steps says something about humbly asked to remove our shortcomings. Please take some time out and pray for this. This is ugly.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Judging by the responses here, it only proves my point, the vast majority of aa'ers are on mind altering meds. I surmise strongly that most of you who posted these very negative responses are in that group.
I don't subscribe to the AA way and have never taken an anti-depressant in my life and I still think you're full of [it].
Old 05-23-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Judging by the responses here, it only proves my point, the vast majority of aa'ers are on mind altering meds. I surmise strongly that most of you who posted these very negative responses are in that group. There are very rare instances where meds of any kind are really necessary. Look at animals in the wild, do they need medications to be healthy? People in AA simply want the easier softer way, period. I never see members in AA at the neighborhood gyms or jogging in the streets or hiking in the hills. Most look very unhealthy. Studies show that AA has much higher rates of smokers, coffee drinkers, and most importantly, those studies show that they are on antidepressants at a much higher rate than the general population. Getting recovered in mind and body is a lot of effen work and most alkies are unwilling to do it. Instead of seeing a therapist for the resolution of grave emotional and mental disorders, they take medications! It's a lot easier to pop a pill and go to a meeting and talk about your newfound happy, joyous and free state, than to work out these issues. Furthermore, people in AA fail to follow the proven relationship between what you eat and how much you exercise to how your mental state is. Believing in God means doing all those things and honoring Him for the life He gave you. Talk is cheap. Get off the mind altering meds and go to work Instead of sitting there watching TV or yakking on the cell, do research on proper nutrition and start exercising. That is why what I see in meetings is not much different from what I saw at Happy Hour bars. Only difference is they are off the alcohol, which is a great accomplishment and is better than nothing, but not much else. I'm only trying to be helpful here and hoping I'll help someone, even one person to get going. Instead of going to 7 meetings a week, can't you go to just 4 and go hiking the other 3? I can understand that a newcomer needs a lot of meetings but when you've been around for awhile, come on.
Ignorance is bliss!! You may be honoring God with your eating but you could have fooled me if you are honoring him with anything else.

Haven't seen one single fruit of the spirit in you today. Did you come here to encourage others or just vent cuz you are obviously miserable and are unable to realize your powerlessness over others. what step are you working?

People don't waste your time with this one. This is not recovery my friends.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I've also found that a lot of alcoholics know everything. Strange, eh?
Be honest, are you on mind altering antidepressants?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Be honest, are you on mind altering antidepressants?
No.

Sitting in judgment of others must be awfully tiring. Perhaps you should give it a rest.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

LA drunkard-think you may have got the message? Proper medication keeps us sane, balanced and properly functional NOT high! In fact it`s the opposite of high it`s making sure you`re fully functional to take life on head first!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I have no issue with those on meds, I just have an issue when they state they are clean and sober. I consider them sober off alcohol and that's it. Clean and sober is something else. See, everyone is too quick to jump on meds without giving a try at other possible, natural, clean solutions to their difficulties. Diet, exercise (especially cardio) and even psychological therapy can do wonders, but most are unwilling to put in the strict time and work needed to do this. So when I go to a meeting, I feel like I'm not hearing about how the program and God worked for them but how the meds worked for them. I hear about their serenity one second and then they are outside chain smoking cigarettes. How can you be serene and need nicotine? Smoke if you want but don't talk about how the program gave you serenity, talk about how nicotine gave you serenity. Most people don't want to be smokers and on meds but it's just too darn tough to figure out other avenues. I struck a nerve here because you all know I speak the truth. I represent the core of what AA principles are really meant to be but you all want just label me a troll. It's understandable and I am not upset by your taunts. I just feel fortunate that I have found a cleaner and healthier path The road does indeed get narrower.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Where is Dee?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

You struck a nerve because you are being judgemental. Which is something us alcoholics do. Worry about what is working for you and let others find their own way. They have to take a different path than you. So someone smokes? Work on one addiction at a time. The change happens over time not all at once.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

OK OK LA, WE are all under the influence of mind altering chemicals. Right Guys! But LA what is your excuse?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I`m a size 8 (UK) and run 10k runs for charity, am a teacher (if you want to talk about time and work ethic!) and def don`t smoke. I take anti-depressants after looking after my Dad who was dyeing of Alxheimer`s and lost him not long ago! I lost my way for a tiny while on alcohol and am coming back. I realise that anyone can fall into trouble-not sure why you`re trouble making but it`s sad!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I think this video is appropriate for this thread and original post:

Old 05-23-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Maybe you better read again what The AA principles are. You are judging people on one while you are breaking all the others. Think a little deeper my friend.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I took my Lexapro and Seroquel long before I even started drinking.

They're non narcotic medications so I still describe myself as sober.

What you're implying is that you have to stay away from anything that changes normal bodily functions. That's like saying you're not sober if you drink coffee and smoke cigarettes. Tell somebody from AA they're not sober when they drink coffee and smoke tobacco, I dare you.