Notices

How many in AA take antidepressants?

Old 05-23-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How many in AA take antidepressants?

Seems like the majority, and I mean like 60-75% are on some kind of mind altering medication such as antidepressants, Adderol, etc. It's difficult for me to stay clean and sober when I know most on not trying but still claim long term sobriety when they are not. If they are off alcohol, then say it, but don't say you are clean and sober if you are on drugs. Just because they are prescribed doesn't count, otherwise medical marijuana is ok. And if it is, then that means I can smoke it and still claim to be sober.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're looking for an excuse to get high and drunk.

If that's what you want to do you don't need an excuse for it - just start drinking and smoking.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

But you are there for yourself, not other people.

Also, there is a difference between alcohol/illegal drugs and prescription medicine. The difference is whether or not you are addicted to the drug.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

not sure how a doctor prescribed medication makes me not sober or where you have the right to say who is sober and who isnt.

what meds others are on is none of my business nor is it yours....unless you are my doctor.

ya shoulda saw me and others when we werent on our meds!
Old 05-23-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think that it might be appropriate if you researched on mental health and all that it entails. Some people do have serious depressive issues that can not be helped only by step work. This judgement sounds like an uneducated emotional response and is not appropriate to the work that you are doing in AA. I would suggest that you educate yourself on such matters before you make the claim that people are just trying to get high. Antidepressants do not get people high. Antidepressants help to normalize the brain in individuals that have a unique situation. I only hope that you can see that these individuals are helping themselves in a positive way. If you want to smoke that is on you. Please do your research.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

" It's difficult for me to stay clean and sober when I know most on not trying but still claim long term sobriety when they are not."

that there,IMO, is a copout.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Why would you be concerned about other people's health issues and medications? Depression can seriously affect someone's ability to function and untreated depression can potentially be fatal.
If they are sick and they take their meds as prescribed, more power to them and even if they are out there getting high like kites, what is it to you and your personal sobriety? Live and let live.

Ps:
Be careful that it is not your AV trying to tell you that no one is really sober in AA and since everyone is full of it you should stop going to meetings and it s ok for you to smoke a joint or have a drink.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I am on medication for blood pressure and cholesterol. Does that make me not clean and sober?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was on antidepressants when I first started AA because I was depressed. They are a prescribed non-addictive medication without which I doubt whether I would still be here at all. I was able to come off them after a few months sober under medical supervision. I do not believe they have anything to do with my sobriety date. I wouldn't hesitate to go back on them if I became depressed again.

It doesn't matter to me what other people take. It doesn't even concern me if people still drink and lie about their sobriety. That's their business and its their journey to make.

The only thing I'm concerned about is my own journey and being true to myself. And AA has helped keep me sober for many months now.

Don't concern yourself with the rights and wrongs of other people's actions. Look to yourself and how to work the program to get well.

Best wishes to you x
Old 05-23-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

In my opinion you are completely wrong.

Taking medication prescribed by your dr has nothing to do with being clean and sober. Mental illness is a real and common illness that people have to deal with, and if they are lucky, dr prescribed medications will help.

I suggest you learn something about mental illness and that you focus on your own recovery and leave others to their recovery.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Have you ever experienced a Bi polar individual without their medications and in a state of mania? It is not a pretty picture. A person can sabotage their whole existence if they are not medicated. Have you experienced a depression that left you immobilized and unable to get out of bed, and function in life? If you haven't that is wonderful. Others have, and some individuals have taken their own life due to depression. I suggest you leave this judgement out of your program.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It seems unlikely to me that anyone is trying to play you for a fool by claiming sobriety when they are really on anti-depressants. Most people do not consider doctor prescrbed anti-depressants in the same category as the drugs or alcohol they used and abused recreationally. You can look at it that way if you want to, but be aware that most people don't and they don't consider themselves to still be 'using' when they take their doctor prescribed medications.

No one is lying to you. You have a different standard.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am sure there are plenty of people in AA ( and any other recovery program ) that take prescribed medication. There are plenty who take unsubscribed medication, illicit drugs or even drink but still continue to be in the program. Plenty of them probably even lie about it too and get their "chips" even though they are still drinking. I know for a fact some do.

Having said all that, it's completely irrelevant and keeping ourselves sober is the number one priority. What others do is beyond our control. On a practical standpoint I could see changing sponsors or support groups if your leader/sponsor was blatantly using and lying about it as it would have a direct effect on you as a sponsee, but other than that everything else that happens at an AA or other meeting should be about keeping ourselves sober.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, you could take a whole bottle of antidepressants and it's not going to get you high---it's just not the way they work. I don't recommend it, of course.

Valium and xanax are a bit different--but that is between someone and their doctor, not me. Used as prescribed they aren't supposed to get you "high" either--but yes, they definitely have potential to be abused.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wowza!! That's a lotta judgment on your part friend. And I def think you hit a bit of a nerve too... But that's okay. You're just saying what you think. Which sounds a lot like "How can I stay sober and look to all of these hypocrites for answers??" "They aren't even REALLY sober!" Well, if someone legitimately NEEDS doc prescribed and managed medication, then that's what THEY need. Are you a doctor? Did you take on massive debt and dedicate yourself to YEARS of study, learning how to treat verified and scientifically legitimate illnesses? I'm not being sarcastic or attempting to be harsh... But on what foundation do you stand that enables you, in an informed or educated way, to decide what treatment approach is best for any individual?? Is it your right to devalidate anyone's sobriety, based on your experience alone? What is your experience with sobriety? Is there not a small possibility that mental illness and alcoholism go hand in hand? AND that those whom have tackled both issues successfully for YEARS- might have some small amount of wisdom gained through their experience, that would be helpful to you?

I hope you reconsider your position, even just a little. Everybody does their best with what they've got. You know? X

Last edited by EverySngleNight; 05-23-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-23-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

My mother takes insulin for her diabetes, as prescribed by her doctor. I take antidepressants for my depression, as prescribed by my doctor. I'm not going to go round to my mother's house and say that we're both getting high on our medications and should therefore stop taking them.

By the way, I can't high on antidepressants. Believe me, back when I was drinking, I tried with my citalopram.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
I was on antidepressants when I first started AA because I was depressed. They are a prescribed non-addictive medication without which I doubt whether I would still be here at all. I was able to come off them after a few months sober under medical supervision.
Wait a minute! "Non-addictive" and "come off them after a few months sober under medical supervision".

This has been a serious concern for me as I "came off" 2 types of SSRi's. Paxil being public enemy #1. You may recall they got sued for not publishing the effects of withdrawal even though they claimed "non-habit forming".

Of course they would never compare themselves say to heroin, no, they called it "Discontinuation Syndrome" hahhaha yeah right...
Old 05-23-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

SSRI anti-depressants (Paxil, Lexapro, Zoloft) are non-addictive, and they don't really alter the mind in the way alcohol, opiates and benzo's do. People taking an SSRI anti-depressent won't be impaired and they won't be in a euphoric state. If the dosage is right, they will just be relived of their depressive and anxiety symptoms.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You may recall they got sued for not publishing the effects of withdrawal even though they claimed "non-habit forming".
There's a difference between being habit forming and having ill effects if a drug is stopped without being tapered.

There are a lot of drugs you shouldn't abruptly stop using but are not habit forming.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DryRoastJim View Post
Wait a minute! "Non-addictive" and "come off them after a few months sober under medical supervision".

This has been a serious concern for me as I "came off" 2 types of SSRi's. Paxil being public enemy #1. You may recall they got sued for not publishing the effects of withdrawal even though they claimed "non-habit forming".

Of course they would never compare themselves say to heroin, no, they called it "Discontinuation Syndrome" hahhaha yeah right...
I've started and stopped Paxil a number of times. I did have to taper down the dosage, but the only physical symptom I experienced was something that felt like a mild electrical shock going through my body. It really wasn't uncomfortable. However, everyone reacts differently, but SSRI's aren't addictive in the sense that a person craves the drug once they stop taking their dose.